People just don't care about solos confirmed

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by neastguy, Apr 13, 2019 at 8:05 PM.

1. neastguy

neastguy Supporting Member

So a friend of mine had a little gig tonight. His friend in the band celebrating 60 birthday I stopped up just for support, the gig was literally 2 minutes from my house. To my surprise the place was packed and I was actually pleasantly surprised by the set they played. With that being said, my friends guitar playing was horrible. I know it's just a bar gig and all but my god. If the vocals are satisfactory (which they were). Are we so low down on the totem pole where it just doesn't matter like Rudy the Rabbit. I love guitar but no one seems to appreciate it and what it takes. But why should they?

I guess what I learned tonight is just play for yourself. (Which is not a revelation). Just a reminder.
    That 22oz IPA was depressing.

2. Hack Prophet

Hack Prophet vile mighty wretched

The non-guitarist who enjoys guitar solos is a diminishing lot

3. one4five

one4five Member

So the guitar playing was "horrible," and you're confused as to why no one seemed to "appreciate" it? Why should anyone appreciate horrible guitar playing? Now I'm confused.

4. bob-i

bob-i Member

“People?” What people is it you’re talking about? I often get comments on solos from the folks in the bar.

5. BobbyS

BobbyS Member

I think the op's post was meant to imply that there are a lot of guitarists who don't take the time to really learn how to play very well anymore and that the solos, music, etc... suffer as a result.

Lucidology and BriSol like this.
  6. Lotis

Lotis Silver Supporting Member

If you really bring it real and make people feel you, you will get their attention.

7. ToneDeVille

ToneDeVille Member

I often play a duo gig with an acoustic guitarist/singer.
    And in this small 'band' I play bass...kind of a Flight of the Conchords type of act. The music is all original and well written.
    The two albums we've done are fully produced with session players and feature some amazing solo work.
    But when we play live it's just the two of us and we cut the solo section from the songs.
    No one has ever mentioned that they miss the solos.

8. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Member

Are you guys that low on the totem pole?
    How about the bass players?

neastguy and Horizontalmode like this.
  9. twoheadedboy

twoheadedboy Member

What was horrible about his playing? Unless you're way out of tune or out of key, most people aren't going to notice what you play at a bar gig. If they're paying attention to the music at all, they're focused on the singer and the song.

pats and Harryq like this.
  10. tapeworm

tapeworm Supporting Member

It depends on the venue really I think because my band played in Houston last night and I got a loud ovation 5 different times after my solos. That happens usually once a gig but this particular venue was a venue that caters to and has a crowd which likes our particular style of music. So I think a lot of it has to do with the venue and crowd, whether it is a music venue with a vibrant drinking crowd or a vibrant drinking venue that also has music. Most places are just establishments for drinking and the music is just background noise making it hard for people to talk to those at the table with them or difficult for the bartender to hear orders.

beanbass, pats, p.mo and 2 others like this.
  11. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

I doubt it is that people could care less about solos.
    I think it is much more that people enjoy solos that are actually conducive to the song as well as mart of the musical theme of the song rather than just a guy slinging high speed scales around. I think most people would rather hear a Joe Walsh or Leslie West solo than someones immitation of Steve Vai or Satriani.

12. Tiny Montgomery

Tiny Montgomery Supporting Member

It depends entirely on what kind of music you’re playing, and what kind of audience you’re playing for.

“People” are not a homogenous monolith.

13. MoarGear

MoarGear Member

I like guitar solos, personally.

My favorite guitarists these days are Gilmour and Haynes, and a dozen different shredders in the past.

But even I rank solos (of any instrument) wayyyyyyyyyyyyy low on the list of what is important in music.

And after the dozens of famous guys banging out solos for decades, frankly it's quote hard to impress me now...

They're like the red sprinkles of the multicolored sprinkles on the frosting on the cake... one small part, at best.

14. Scanloni

Scanloni Member

I’m not sure I agree with that. I think most people would completely disregard a Walsh or West solo. Probably wouldn’t even really notice it. On the other hand, a guitar player ripping off a few Vai/Satch type solos would likely get some attention and wows from the crowd because it’s simply more impressive to a non-guitar player. I’m not talking about a guy doing a 20 minute Vai solo, that would get boring. I’m talking about mixing in some Vai-ish licks during what woud otherwise be a forgettable Walsh-ish solo they’ve heard a million times.

Dr. Tranquilo, Lucidology and BriSol like this.
  15. Jazzandmore

Jazzandmore Gold Supporting Member

If talking about bar gigs, then I agree people don’t care. At the bar they care about the social atmosphere, the liquor, who they can hit on, can they make odd gyrations on a dance floor before getting back to the liquor and hitting on, or talking. The music is purely a backdrop to other activities.

People care when they go to a venue specifically to see an artist or band and they really enjoy that music.

Solos are awesome when played by great players in a band of great players where it all fits. At a Pat Metheny concert people do care about the solos, by all the band members, not just the guitarist. But this style of playing is enjoyed by few people because it doesn’t make a simplistic backdrop to other activities.

16. guitarbilly74

guitarbilly74 Member

It's a birthday party at a bar. People went there to celebrate a birthday and drink. They wouldn't care if there was a jukebox instead.

Go to an actual music venue and you will find a more specialized audience.

This is like saying no one seems to care about culinary art after visiting McDonald's.

17. harpinon

harpinon Silver Supporting Member

Over a period of a few gigs, I asked a number of people about guitar solos. Did they want to hear it like the album, was it ok to just make one up, or would you rather just "skip it". True story, nearly everyone said to just skip it.

18. MESA/BUDDA

MESA/BUDDA Member

It's a wonder why solos aren't more popular in today's social dynamic, what with all the shameless self-promotion and bragging that society has turned to in this age of social media that we live in.

19. amstrtatnut

amstrtatnut Member

Only other guitarists notice "Vai-ish" licks.

Walsh rules. He plays for the song.

20. amstrtatnut

amstrtatnut Member

I think its a matter of how good the overall show is.

I was in a blues band where people would sometimes compliment my solos. I sometimes would clear the room too. The band was good but missing something. They seemed to rely on me for solos and excitement. I had trouble with confidence on those, "clear the room nites".

Now, Im in a Fleetwood Mac tribute and people LOVE my solos but, they are in the context of fantastic, iconic songs. I think most of tgp probably things Fleetwood Mac is overplayed and old hat, our audiences dont.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019 at 1:40 AM