People just don't care about solos confirmed

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by neastguy, Apr 13, 2019 at 8:05 PM.

1. GreatSatan

GreatSatan Member

keith richards don't need flashy solos.
    be like keef.

GA20T likes this.
  2. jnovac1

jnovac1 Supporting Member

mash ups are cool. we used to start california dreamin’ with rhiannon.

3. M138

M138 100% Fenriz Approved

How about people play what they want to play and not conform to restrictive concepts of what is ideal.

misterturtlehead and FuzzyAce like this.
  4. alex mansman

alex mansman Member

Not a single tattoo on my body. My wife has a few though. Nice TGP snobbery, there, too.

I like a lot of everything. Slow melodic stuff to blazing fast stuff. Too many people roll their eyes at the guys that can play the really fast stuff really well and it's mostly a defense mechanism engaged by envy because they either cant get their playing to that point or there's some dream from their past that never got realized.

There's some athleticism involved with the fast shreddy stuff and I love the showboating aspect of it. I dont find ways to look down on people that are better than me and can do things I cant. Then there's people that dont like shred just because it's not their thing and that's ok. I dont like the Beatles, van Halen, Hendrix, Clapton, Vai, Satch, or a lot of other things that you're "supposed" to like just because you play guitar.

Dont hate the player, hate that you haven't practiced enough to overcome your insecurities.

5. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Supporting Member

You get a lot of poor results at the barband level if there is not a template to follow.

6. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Supporting Member

Sometimes I wonder about y'all.:confused

Tiny Montgomery and rednoise like this.
  7. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

There seems to be an assumption here that every cover band, except your own, is lame.

I posit that is far from true.

alex mansman likes this.
  8. BriSol

BriSol Member

I wouldn't even call Rockledge's input mere musical snobbery. It's a downright cultural axe to grind spoken from a place of ignorant over-generalization and judgement based on how people look and dress that has nothing to do with music as such. Their commentary comes off as the out of touch and comedic cane-waving of a bitter old conservative man, taking general pot shots at anyone who might *shudder* have a tattoo or piercing or maybe dye their hair a different color.

9. alex mansman

alex mansman Member

To clarify, I like a lot from many genres, not necessarily specific bands or artists. And even the artists/bands that I dont prefer I give them all their due merit for what they've done. I'm not saying at all that those I've listed are bad or uninteresring or uninfluential.

I'm not all shred all the time. I like 80's metal, country music (huge brad paisley fan, I see him live almost every year), 90's pop, "classic" rock, etc.

Like the music or dont, there's room for plenty of us.

10. Strat-cat

Strat-cat Member

95% of non-guitar players don't care about flashy solos at all. They are most impressed when your band can sound exactly like the way that song sounds on the record. I think the highest compliment from a bar patron is "You sound just like them!"

11. Strat-cat

Strat-cat Member

Since we are majoring on minors in this thread, putting EJ in with Vai and Satriani is just wrong.

12. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Member

My wife and I saw Collective Soul a year or two ago and during one amazing solo, I looked over and my wife had this big goofy grin on her face. She saw me looking at her and said "If there's one thing 13 years of marriage has taught me, it's how to appreciate a good guitar solo." I don't know if that is because she thinks my soloing is great or she thinks it's terrible, but at least I can notch that as a win!

13. snow and steel

snow and steel Supporting Member

My guitar playing, doing a 2 week fill in for a touring act - this was the last song if the first night out ;

Listen all the way through - People seemed to like it just fine.

Remember - it needs to be great guitar playing, but it also needs to be part of the show, and the whole experience needs to be fun. A great sauce on a crappy meal doesn't make the whole thing great.

14. eriwebnerr

eriwebnerr Member

In the bar scene around here (the middle of nowhere) have found that the average non-musician will really dig a solo if it is either:
    1. Iconic - they know the melody - Journey, Pink Floyd, etc.
    2. Driving - the whole band surfs a wave of intensity lead by the solo - which means the soloist is also really listening hard to the other musicians in the band
    And in both those cases IMO - true emotional expression wins over technical wizardry or even precision. Just like the liquid served in clubs, people generally like music to either numb or enhance a certain feeling. So a lead player has to be careful no to get in the way too much by making it "about them". Many lead guitarists I've seen need to take modesty pill. When was the last time you went to a restaurant and left saying - "the food was ok, but that waiter was something else right!" Serve the song, not yo'self

15. fishleehooker

fishleehooker Supporting Member

I think people like rock guitar solos, but they aren't so particular that they care about what is said, but more about how it is said. The attitude of the solo is crucial to the song. That is why you add it in and the ones that don't really have a lot of feel and expression leave everyone wishing they just shut up. Now drum solos......I hate drum solos. Unless there are multiple drums, but that isn't a solo anymore.

16. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

i dunno.
    "people" do, "people don't"?
    hmmmm.

it's not worth much, but i can confirm that lately, "people" have increasingly requested me to play solos (in addition to providing my more typical abnormalities), so i've enjoyed doing that.
    ymmv.
    here are just a few.....

EDIT: what fun!
    no, i removed my clips from below.
    your point is made, thread-bearers!
    no-one in this thread cares about (at least my) guitar solos!
    confirmed! lol.
    buh-bye, now.

saudade w/chelsea wolfe & chino moreno:
    DELETED

the pineapple thief:
    DELETED

kit taylor:
    DELETED

w/SONAR band:
    DELETED

and, one wacko actual solo (recorded live), in tribute to one of my more important influences..... also by request:
    DELETED

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019 at 4:20 PM
  17. Tiny Montgomery

Tiny Montgomery Supporting Member

Are you like Keef?

18. Strato62

Strato62 Member

we do a few extended solos on our shows, which are in Legion Clubs, etc, and both of us (guitarists) get a few compliments. But most people are into the dancing and drinking and don't really pay much attention. But getting a "thumbs up" from someone is always nice.

19. jonnytexas

jonnytexas Member

What venue?

20. strumminsix

strumminsix Supporting Member

My experience over the last 15 years:
    In electric jambands: people are music focused and want to hear Jerry licks, Trey licks, Allman licks, etc.
    In acoustic cover combos: people don't care about solos.