People just don't care about solos confirmed

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by neastguy, Apr 13, 2019 at 8:05 PM.

1. tapeworm

tapeworm Supporting Member

The Shakespeare Pub. Had a great crowd there and a of folks said they heard about us and came to specifically to see us. It was our first time in Houston.

jonnytexas likes this.
  2. jonnytexas

jonnytexas Member

Great place, I've played there a million times over the years. For your next trip try to get a booking at "The Big Easy".

3. tapeworm

tapeworm Supporting Member

Hoping we can get in there sometime. I spoke with someone there and they kind of made it sound like they had a long list of regulars they book and newcomers have a long wait to get in. I figure we will play Shakespeare’s a few more times and if we have the kind of crowd we had Saturday night then they will have to give us a chance at Big Easy sooner or later.

jonnytexas likes this.
  4. ChampReverb

ChampReverb Silver Supporting Member

Bass solo!

-bEn r.

5. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

My belief is that 'most' folk just love the sound of a guitar no matter how, what or where it is being played.
    Something about the frequencies I suppose...

6. twotone

twotone Member

If the solo is long and full of fast runs, I get bored quickly.

7. JosephZdyrski

JosephZdyrski Member

They never really cared....

Only us guitar players ever really cared.

But hey it was worse in the mid to late 90’s for guitar solos.... I know, I was there lol.

8. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

tgp generally under appreciates anything folky or singer songwriter stuff. seemingly endless examples of that.

different criteria of excellence

amstrtatnut likes this.
  9. stratotastic

stratotastic Supporting Member

There was a time when bands actually had to be good. Now any middle-aged hack who picked up the guitar again at age 40 as a distraction from the wife and kids and tan pants cubicle job thinks they have something to offer the world.

10. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Member

That, or do like me and play music only people who care about music will listen to anyway.

Might not get you many listeners, but at least those you get actually care more than a flying **** about what you are doing.

The sad fact is though, weather you like it or not, that music, the most advanced form of communication we humans are capable of, largely has been perverted and degraded to indifferent background entertainment, and that is how by far the majority of people are going to treat it.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019 at 7:15 AM
  11. ElectricPhase

ElectricPhase Member

People don't care about how music sounds. Period. I recently saw a classic rock cover band where the vocals were eardrum-shatteringly loud, the guitars were mixed so low that they were nearly inaudible, and all you could hear of the drummer was a faint snare and occasional cymbals. People were cheering and having a grand old time while I did a 90 minute facepalm.

12. Timboguitar

Timboguitar Member

Vocals and rhythm section. If the ladies can rock, swing, shake or twerk their hips, you're in business!!!!

13. matt1969

matt1969 Member

I been gigging in bars and clubs for 30 years now. When I was in my 20's playing original hard rock, guitar playing was cool and playing ability or not were noticed. Now a days it seems that no one gives a crap about how good a guitar is played in general. Like mentioned above, it's all about the singer and song.

I was trying to nail a guitar solo for practice and realized that I was wasting my time and that as long as it fit the song and was somewhat close, I was golden. Now if that were 20 years ago, I might have been judged by how well I played the solo but now I don't think anyone really cares. LOL

Guitar coolness is dying.

Jimmy_Rage likes this.
  14. Fred Farkus

Fred Farkus Gold Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Jon Silberman likes this.
  15. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

people like songs...songs they can sing along too
    people also like short brief guitar solos they can HUM along to

only guitar players like the 25 minute wheedely wheedely self indulgence

whenever a friend plays guitar for people, or myself, we are always told to "play a song"...not "play a bunch of video game wheedely wheedely stuff"...

most of the pop/classic rock people like has short sweet hummable solos...free bird doesn't count...

edit: a guitar solo should always end, leaving the crowd wanting more...not saying thank god as they run off to the bathroom or to the smoking lounge

16. neastguy

neastguy Supporting Member

pfft treehugger :)

M138 likes this.
  17. jerrycampbell

jerrycampbell Silver Supporting Member

It's not all about you.

18. Fishyfishfish

Fishyfishfish Member

it is what it is.
    Tell me more about this 22oz IPA...

19. hugbot

hugbot Member

I have a theory that, people (as in general audiences, not guitar dorks) do enjoy fast shreddy guitar solos...for about 30 seconds or so.

That is to say there's something cool about the "party trick" when a guitarist just puts their pedal to the metal and does a little blast of speed. But beyond that you're best off leaving it at home.

20. misterturtlehead

misterturtlehead Member

I sometimes play gigs in places where I would not enjoy hanging out with most of the people there very much nor would they enjoy hanging out with me. I don't party. I don't follow sports. I don't live vicariously through celebrities. I don't care if those people don't care about or don't like my guitar solos. In working musician mode I am there to perform my job duties. I play a solo whenever the band director directs me to take a solo.

For me playing a solo is mostly about amusing myself. When in working music mode, although I will try to and generally succeed in playing a solo that fits the music that I am playing a solo in, I use my imagination and play stuff I want to hear there.