People Noodling Between Songs....

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Flyin' Brian, Feb 19, 2020.

1. 9fingers

9fingers Supporting Member

My duo partner used to noodle on the upcoming song between every song, refreshing his memory of it I guess. He kind of gave away every song before it started. I don't think he even knew what he was doing. Totally unpro. Not just for that, but I had to end that partnership.

2. Blue410

Blue410 Silver Supporting Member

Never-to-be-forgotten Dad Band Horror: Occasional beer drinking session with other guitar players evolves into a dad band as a bass player and drummer get acquired. The weak link is a 54-YO total beginner, in fact still taking lessons, and regrettably encouraged by his wife, Yoko-style, who doesn't let him practice at home in her Town & Country magazine home. Every single jam session that eventually becomes band practice as gigs get acquired has him droning on and on, practicing his chord changes for the next song, between the breaks in the song. Can't fire him as he is the owner of the engineering firm that employs 3 of the other "band" members.

I mentioned Yoko? His wife appointed him band leader and informed the rest of us that we wouldn't exist as a band without him. o_O

3. cogan

cogan Member

Yes, worst thing ever when someone just starts playing to fill the void.

Guavadude likes this.
  4. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Member

^^^ That Hornsby bit is no more "aimless noodling between tunes" (what OP was referencing) than is this:

Billy Van Beck likes this.
  5. frijoleghost

frijoleghost Supporting Member

ok, name a famous band that made a career out of noodling...

Totally Bored likes this.
  6. Abram4235

Abram4235 Supporting Member

This was a battle I never won with my old band and one of the reasons I quit. The singer refused to be organized enough to even use a set list. I felt like I was on stage with a bunch of dopes between songs.

Billy Van Beck and gonzoknife like this.
  7. jcarpenter

jcarpenter Supporting Member

I have zero chances to noodle my duo partner just starts next songs without warning. No set lists either. Some times he tries to warn me of the next tune before the end of the current song but I can't always hear him or miss it.

I just figure it out and stay on my toes.

NamaEnsou and Thumpalumpacus like this.
  8. Totally Bored

Totally Bored Member

Guilty of a little noodling to the Jukebox while setting up.
    Gotta get it dialed in a little :aok

But when the magic starts, no noodling or tuning without a tuner.
    Very unprofessional :omg

Thats how we roll in my little Duo but I'm the guy that starts the songs. My buddy is pretty quick and on his toes as well. No set list . Sometimes I gig with a drummer that noodles and I tell him to stop. It's just not cool IMO.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
    uab9253 likes this.
  9. russ

russ Supporting Member

I played violin in Junior high school . Learned there, either everyone played, or nobody played.
    I’ve been in bands ever since, and apply that lesson.

I think noodling before a set, or between songs is amateurish

10. gmann

gmann Member

Don't like it and I don't do it.

NamaEnsou likes this.
  11. stevie2600

stevie2600 Supporting Member

A professional gig is not a Saturday afternoon trip to Guitar Center. My expectation is that anyone's licks should be well rehearsed and ready to play by the time they take the stage. Anything else is extremely unprofessional, especially if you're getting paid to put on a tight show for everyone's enjoyment.

12. 808

808 Member

It really depends, most folks noodling sounds like guitar center on a Saturday. Others use it as great segue into the next song.

Abram4235 and NamaEnsou like this.
  13. DrJamie

DrJamie Silver Supporting Member

A local blues "pro" who I like, and is pretty good, cannot help himself between songs, and it makes me messhuggana, like run-on sentences.

Billy Van Beck likes this.
  14. Jorge E aka ricv64

Jorge E aka ricv64 Member

15. BenF

BenF Silver Supporting Member

I used to be a bad noodler but broke that habit, and I've played with many other noodlers...and it's usually not creative inspiration, or an amazing improvised intro to a song or some great segue into the next song, and it's not ironically playing part of a song to get smirk out of fellow band member or in-the-know audience members.

Imagine that between songs at an americana gig the drummer decides that it's the perfect time to practice his double bass riffs. Or a keyboard player that absentmindedly fills the gap between tunes with random scale fragments because he's nervous. Or the guitar player that thinks it's the perfect time to bend down and try every preset on his new delay pedal because he didn't get a chance to do it at home and wants to see how it sounds. The bass player that starts playing random crap between songs because he can't stand still for even a second (that was me).

Abram4235 likes this.
  16. willie k

willie k Silver Supporting Member

Noodling between songs is irritating to the audience. It just is.

Cousin, Tidbit, Abram4235 and 3 others like this.
  17. LqdSndDist

LqdSndDist Member

Is Karen going to ask the manger for a refund because the band wasn’t professional enough ?

When did we start wanting our rock stars to be professional ? I thought we were glad they showed up and could get though a set without passing out or starting a fight ?

maybe if your job is playing on a cruise ship or wedding covers etc, but not any rock shows I’ve ever paid to see

AprioriMark likes this.
  18. LqdSndDist

LqdSndDist Member

I’d wager most audiences these days couldn’t tell you what songs the band played, what gear they used, and not if someone “noodled”

Only people who pay attention to that stuff are the other guitar player types who stand there, arms crossed, mentality picking a set apart, judging the tone, etc. we’ve all seen those types at a gig I’m sure.

19. jds22

jds22 Member

Guilty as charged. Gigged quite a bit in the late 90s. I would noodle or goof off a little between songs.
    Now I know better.
    If I ever run into my former bandmates I will apologize.

Abram4235, NamaEnsou and cogan like this.
  20. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Member

It's annoying, yes, and a sure sign of amateurs.
    Unless it's an intro, pros don't noodle.