• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

People Noodling Between Songs....

Bluedano1

Many years ago, I did some stupid noodling during a gig ( just not thinking):
We were playing a local ' Main Street' Fall Festival and there were two twin stages ( the idea is one band plays on one stage, while another sets up on stage #2 - no waiting time between acts)
Anyway, my band was setting up, as the other band was finishing their set, and I started to noodle/dial in my sound and get a volume level ( Strat> Tube Screamer > Peavey Bandit) , basically toggling back and forth between TS OFF/ TS ON- and I was kind of loud (!!) doing this.

Got yelled out right then ( and after, in emails) by guys in other band, as we were ' friendly competitors' in the same area. They were pissed! My bad.

LqdSndDist

Whether or not "Karen" is perturbed by someone wanking in-between songs/sets on a stage, the point is: few of us here are rock stars, it is unprofessional, and more often than not, a given band is often paid to play songs and not aimlessly noodle. If I go out on stage, it's with the expectation that the gig is going to be conducted tightly, as rehearsed, and as agreed upon by the venue paying the musicians with the aim being that it will lead to more paying gigs. Noodling may not cause a riot between the band and the venue, but there's no evidence saying that it's making the case to get hired again either.

So basically noodling is okay for rock stars, but if your just a working musician doing covers and such, keep it professional, stick to the script so to speak.

Hendrix level players can tune, banter, noodle all they want though

MikeMcK

Gold Supporting Member
So basically noodling is okay for rock stars, but if your just a working musician doing covers and such, keep it professional, stick to the script so to speak.

It depends on the situation. The real question should be, "what does the audience get from this?" If you're creating a jammy build-up into a song they're waiting for, then yeah. If you're telling a story and punctuating it with riffs, OK.

But if the audience gets cheated out of something cool because the next song is no longer a surprise or because the band seems so bored that they're just killing time, that's a problem.

As a general rule, if your thought process while doing it is, "Hey, everybody! Look what I can do!", then stop.

Last edited:

stevie2600

Silver Supporting Member

Nope. Not necessarily what I am implying at all. Noodling on a set is, in general, annoying, amateurish and unbecoming. Anyone of any style/skill level should be in favor of striving toward a higher and more serious standard of presentation at a gig/jam.

maxnew40

If you take so much time between songs that you get bored enough to noodle I see that as a pretty serious issue. What do think your audience is doing when you take 2-3 minutes to launch into the next song? They get bored and are probably thinking about leaving to go see a band that has their act together.

RustyAxe

This is something that needs to be addressed in rehearsal. We have a rule that there is NO noodling at rehearsal, it's work time, which seems to make it much easier to enforce the rule at a gig. As for tuning, there's no excuse for not muting the output ... none.

Tidbit

I don't see too many Hendrix level players aimlessly noodling between songs in my neck of the woods. Hendrix may have noodled a little and tuned but that was a half century ago. Maybe if you are in a Hendrix tribute band....??

NamaEnsou

Silver Supporting Member
This is something that needs to be addressed in rehearsal. We have a rule that there is NO noodling at rehearsal, it's work time, which seems to make it much easier to enforce the rule at a gig. As for tuning, there's no excuse for not muting the output ... none.
This.

jnovac1

Silver Supporting Member
If you take so much time between songs that you get bored enough to noodle I see that as a pretty serious issue. What do think your audience is doing when you take 2-3 minutes to launch into the next song? They get bored and are probably thinking about leaving to go see a band that has their act together.
in a bar situation, they may be ordering a drink. $$$.

Lung plunger

I find the people that say this with regards to music usually go apoplectic when it comes to making a faux pas playing sports.
Too much of that happening already (dumbing it down for people). Look it up (as your parents probably told you).
So people that noodle during song breaks are the same that get outraged with anger when it comes to making a tactless act when playing sports....

:spit

Whatever dude.

Trending Topics