People Noodling Between Songs....

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Flyin' Brian, Feb 19, 2020.

1. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

No, just giving Jimi an excuse for his silly noodling.

2. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Member

The better the presentation, the more fun it is.

Yep, big diference between segue, instrumental intro, and noodling. Neither the Hornsby or Max Middleton bits are nooding, in my book; both sections are very much by design. For whatever my opinion on that's worth.

I think 'devil's advocate' perspectives are a healthy component of most meaningful discussions, and I'm all for 'em, generally. However, the intent of the OP is crystal clear, cut and dried, at least to me. Unless I'm just dreadfully clueless, he's not referencing anything of the sort resembling Bruce's or Max's piano sections above. To me, the intended meaning of annoying, needless, aimless noodling is quite clear, and, again, to me, there's not much here really to discuss or argue about. Any devil's advocate opinion here that is equating something like a by-design intro or segue, with the sort of annoying thing that the OP's intent addressed, is something that I personally am going to dismiss. At least for/from my own perspective. Aimless noodling that detracts from the spirit, vibe, and intended presentation of a performance sucks pond water. In my opinion.

3. lizardking

lizardking Member

:aok

4. lizardking

lizardking Member

No noodling. :horse Hands must be inserted completely in tan pants between songs.

5. Strato62

Strato62 Member

this happens in practice - supposed to be learning new songs, then someone starts to play something different or plays over us trying to listen to the song to learn it. I was guilty of this at times, but stopped doing it.

6. dsw67

dsw67 Supporting Member

Wow, you're just more than happy to show the world your lack of reading comprehension.

(Uhhhhh, dude, can you dumb it down for me). :confused:

7. NamaEnsou

NamaEnsou Supporting Member

That's fine, just no noise between songs please.

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  8. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Member

My thinking is, "don't distract the audience." A distracted audience will drift. Stay focused on the songs and the setlist. The overall effect is more powerful if we follow those two precepts, I think.

Noodling is best done in the bedroom. Flopping around the fretboard aimlessly invites the audience to lose focus as well.

9. NamaEnsou

Absolutely. Any sounds made on stage should lead to continued audience interest and not just be distractionally narcissistic noise on the part of non-team players.

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  10. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Member

No matter what style I'm playing, or what solo/band configuration I'm onstage with, my aim is to entertain the audience. I can entertain myself in my bedroom.

Wait, that came out wrong.

jonnytexas, RustyAxe and NamaEnsou like this.
  11. dspellman

dspellman Member

You throw blackboard erasers in the bar?

Tidbit and Occam like this.
  12. dspellman

dspellman Member

It was. A half a century ago. And...uh...it was Jimi.

Tidbit likes this.
  13. JosephZdyrski

JosephZdyrski Member

Depends who’s noodling... just sayin...

14. Vic Interceptor

Vic Interceptor Member

have a buddy that runs a band of rotating musicians. He has 1 rule - no noodling between songs. Do it once, fired for life. That thinned the herd quickly LOL

SteveO and NamaEnsou like this.
  15. COYS

COYS Supporting Member

Someone noodling is unprofessional, but it also means you've got too much dead air between songs. Nothing kills momentum more than that

16. Fr3shMak3r

Fr3shMak3r Whatever Gold Supporting Member

In my opinion, the only people who can get away with audible tuning are the rare folks with perfect pitch who can nail it with a strum and a quick turn or two of the tuning peg. There's a local guy I've seen a bunch over the years who is essentially a human TC Polytune and could tune up in about 5 seconds with a single strum. He gets a pass. The rest of you, use a darn pedal and mute it! lol

NamaEnsou likes this.
  17. ChipOnly

ChipOnly Member

A slippery slope. Decorum must be observed!

18. ChipOnly

ChipOnly Member

Has anyone said "OK Boomer" yet?

SnidelyWhiplash likes this.
  19. Dark Matter

Dark Matter Member

I am surprised, to put it mildly, at the hatred for noodling. I enjoy it. I suppose it could be off-putting if done to excess or due to a more general lack of professionalism, but I will admit that professionalism to me does not mean pure, rehearsed showmanship. It can mean something more spontaneous or less polished. And while I haven't actually heard all that much of it, among the things I like about it is the chance to hear the guitar outside of the mix. Even if just for a moment, it can be thrilling to hear the guitar on its own.

To each his own.

lizardking likes this.
  20. NamaEnsou

Yes, situational awareness wins the day!