"People Pleaser" Guitarists vs. Guitarists who are going for it.

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by shaun_mac, Jan 15, 2015.

1. shaun_mac

shaun_mac Member

If you had to describe your style or sensibility when holding a guitar, would you say you're playing from a People Pleaser perspective or more from the perspective of going for it or possibly both depending on the gig? An example of each could possibly be a polished studio guitarist who sounds rehearsed vs. someone like Michael Bloomfield for example, who's playing didn't have necessarily a rehearsed sound and always seemed to be "going for it".

2. Wagster

Wagster Member

Depend on what the person paying me wants. Usually I like to keep an aspect of going for it but not so that it takes away from the music.

3. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I'm usually pretty fired up during a gig, so more of a go for it I guess.

4. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

My job is to support the front person/lead singer. Serve the song. Any time it becomes about me, it isn't about the music. (Also insert P&W disclaimer.)

5. Fishyfishfish

Fishyfishfish Member

Little of both. My friend goes gonzo on EVERY solo, very tiring to listen to after
    four songs.

6. CRBMoA

CRBMoA Member

Depends on a lot of things; venue, material, who is paying me to be there and what they expect, what I had for dinner..................................

Usually some combination of both.

7. whackystrings

whackystrings Member

Some songs rehearsed, other ones I blow through some improvisation. Rehearsed parts = consistency but I love the thrill of flying in the moment for certain songs - it just keeps it fresh and exciting.

8. AParrotLooksAt4O

AParrotLooksAt4O Member

Improvised but still serving the music is usually the way I try to go. Depends on the song, the material, etc.

A lot of the time, "going for it" sounds like a desperate cry for approval, often from a bunch of people who don't care. If you can be flashy at the right time, by all means go for it. But please don't two-finger-tap in every solo. Every guitarist can, its not THAT cool.

9. Ubersooner

Ubersooner Member

If I were a virtuoso people payed to see, I would go for it every night. As it is, if I can pull off people pleaser, I've hit the home run ball.

10. sanrico

sanrico Member

Band leader pleaser. I don't overplay at all. I'm very reserved and try to serve the song. I rarely get guitarists coming up to me to talk about my playing. They always ask about my tone.

11. JonRock

JonRock Member

I think that if you are playing what you honestly feel the song calls for, then you are sort of covering all the bases

That being said, personally id feel a little weird really trying to be a people pleaser. My attitude would probably be more like "let me be honest and if u like me and the band then come back and see us next time" etc. I cant ever picture playing something I didnt really like, just to please someone else. for one thing, lets say there are 100 people at a gig...how do you know what will please who??

What was Jimi? What was Gary?

12. ClassicLP

ClassicLP Member

A good writer knows his audience, so should guitar players.

13. JonRock

JonRock Member

you are playing what fits the song....im assuming the band sort of knows the audience and picked the songs accordingly.

I remember this cover band and the guy had a killer Marshall tone and he was a VH freak etc....they played Purple Rain and dude wailed on this long drawn out solo...it was just SO overkill. I guess he was "going for it" but I cant see how that would be much of a people pleaser.

I guess I sort of dont like those 2 choices.....just play what the song calls for

14. shaun_mac

shaun_mac Member

these are all fantastic answers! I think I'm generally in the same area as the vibe on this thread. I really appreciate the responses. I guess as a guitarist I can't help but question/challenge myself. much appreciated

15. RedHerringHack

RedHerringHack Member

16. gmann

gmann Member

Depends on the gig, who is in the audience, type of music etc...

17. markjsmith

markjsmith Member

When I think about the notes I put into da space..........I's working' cheap!!!!!

18. Phletch

Phletch Member

Same. Fronting a trio, I'm either the singing guitarist or the guitar-playing singer. I pick and choose when to solo. Sometimes I don't solo at all. (EDIT): That doesn't mean I'm not "going for it", just not always in the traditional sense of "the solo".

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
  19. mattball826

mattball826 Member

for our cover band. yeah we had to get rid of a guy that thought every song needed a 45 sec solo with tapping and pinch harmonics (lol). plus he was yelled at 5x from club owners to stop noodling around before we started.

yeah he was the guy that played along and solo'd over the venue house music while we set things up.

became a major tool at that.

found a guy that plays what the song needs, no show boating, but we let him tear it up on 2 songs which is enough.

20. jhc

jhc Senior Member

Going for it doesn't please people?