People who are late with everything, what do you figure is wrong with them ?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Dr. Tweedbucket, Apr 21, 2015.

1. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    I wonder if there is an internal clock in each of our brains and some people for whatever reason, their clock is really slow, like it's a sun dial model or something like that? :brick

I'm talking like:

• They are late getting out of bed.
    • Late to work.
    • Late back from lunch.
    • Late with household chores, and late paying bills.
    • Late getting money into their checking to pay the late bills.
    • Late paying overdraft and late payment fees.
    • Late to any appointment or engagement.
    • Up late at night trying to catch up on stuff when they should be sleeping.

These are the kind of people who if you invite them over, you tell them an hour earlier so they show up on time. :idea

I know some peeps like this...... :red you kind of need to shift the time around for them. If you are having dinner at 5PM, you just tell them 4PM and then they will show up at 5 (hopefully). :cry:

2. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

I am only late half the time... What ya gotta say about that, huh?

3. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

If you have "it", you can establish dominance and get the transaction revolving around you by being late - nothing happens until you get there. You're Teflon so sanctions against you don't work.

Then, someone with no "it" or too little "it" try to imitate. And they usually get squashed, but they figure, no way to know until you try.

I'd rather deal with an overachiever who is chronically late, than someone who is always on time but has no passing gear, and can only plod along and has no answers when the inevitable Emergency happens. Decorum is fine but only end results really count in full.

4. MrAstro

MrAstro Member

A few reasons spring to mind...

Some people just have to have too much on their plate and they just can't juggle it all, they get completely disorganised and are subsequently always late. Hopefully this is the reason most of the time.

Others do it as a sort of power thing where they like to keep you waiting because they are then controlling you. (I hate that...). If I work out that is the reason then I cut them off permanently and won't have anything else to do with them.

5. Dr. Tweedbucket

Yeah, I can see this is a bad thread idea, I was late realizing it. :cry:

Let me put it this way. I'm trying to figure out my Sister! :waiting

6. MrAstro

MrAstro Member

Why is that Tweedy?

If it's your sister it's likely she is just disorganised and has too many activities on her plate. Like my sister :)

7. evaporatus

evaporatus Silver Supporting Member

8. Dr. Tweedbucket

Well, I didn't want to step on anyones toes here if you know what I mean.... yeah, it's that Sister thing. :tapedshut

9. Johnny Moondog

Johnny Moondog Member

I am sometimes late (not often, but occasionally).
    For me, it usually means I got something extra on my plate - that had to be dealt with.

My brother in law is often late.
    For him, he is just of the opinion that everyone else's schedule should bend to his.

10. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

I think it's genetic. I had to laugh when I found out my family's ancient motto was "Sero sed serio" (Late but in earnest). Apparently, we showed up late for a battle but turned the tide.

11. Anthony M

Anthony M Silver Supporting Member

In miami, we call that Cuban time, but that's a different story.

12. travisvwright

travisvwright Member

I often see is it as a manifestation of self doubt/second guessing. I've seen it as; afraid what you've chosen to wear isn't a good choice (or just knowing whatever you choose you will second guess), so you wait until it's too late to change it before putting it on. Worried you will forget to bring something important, if you show up on time or early and forgot it you have less of an excuse then if you were running late and it slipped your mind.

People will give you a little extra grace if you were late rushing to get there, so it's a default of taking that extra grace.

13. GuitarKidd

GuitarKidd Member

This is one of my biggest pet peeve's of all time. For me it stems from my childhood.
    I had to WAIT for everyone. I was raised by my great-grandmother. She never drove. The last time she drove a car, you didn't need a license. So we had to rely on public transportation or someone else. When it came to "someone else" I swear to god they were always late. And not just 5-10 minutes, 30, 40 or maybe an hour late. I hated waiting as a child, and still today, I can't stand it.

IMO, it's a couple of things. There are a couple of reasons.
    1. Some just don't care, that really pisses me off.
    2. Disorganized in many aspects of their life. This is very broad, but most all other reasons can fall under #2.

14. GuitarKidd

GuitarKidd Member

This is my wife. She can spend 20 minutes on trying to choose which box of granola bars at the grocery store:jo

15. skip

skip Member

usually it's trying to do too much in the allotted time, then everything is later than projected, i don't mind that
    i do mind the "lazy" late person who you know is doing nothing

16. Nurk2

Nurk2 "Ignore Everybody" ~Hugh MacLeod

Everyone's different, but the person in my life who I love does this, and has this.

Part of it is an inability to reasonably estimate how long something is going to take. Let's say we need to be somewhere that's 20 minutes away. She'll estimate that she can make it in 15 minutes, but won't actually leave the house until the actual time she said she would arrive - figuring she will be only 15 minutes late (which she considers acceptable, and it usually is OK, because she is super talented and people love and accommodate her). Unfortunately, that means by the time she's rolling out the driveway, it's already 5-10 minutes past when she said she would arrive. The 20-minute estimate on travel time assumes no traffic and no delays. END RESULT: 30-40 minutes late to everything.

Another part of this is hyper-focus. In an attempt to "not forget anything" she'll go over and over what she's packing/trying to bring, leading her down rabbit holes where essentially nothing is completed/packed until I'm standing over her.

Finally, with the bills and the like, nothing actually gets her attention until it's shut off: electric, phone, whatever. Once it's shut off she pays the late fees, charges, reconnection charges, balance, etc. until next time (I've taken over all of this - it hasn't happened in years).

Fortunately, she's lovely and hot and I love her. And she's a prominent figure throughout the community that everyone loves because of her care for others and generosity - a truly special person, whom I'm thankful to have in my life everyday. We take the good with the bad - no one's perfect!

17. rmconner80

rmconner80 Cantankerous Luddite Silver Supporting Member

I am chronically late because your modern world frightens, and confuses me...

[​IMG]

18. taez555

taez555 Member

• They are late getting out of bed.
    Mostly caused by an earthquake that knocked out power to the region, thus disabling the alarm clock.

• Late to work.
    Car accident on the highway killed a family of five after colliding with a USPS truck. Traffic in both directions was at a standstill for hours.

• Late back from lunch.
    Having sex with new intern.

• Late with household chores, and late paying bills.
    Drinking straight vodka and passed out because of alimony payments.

• Late getting money into their checking to pay the late bills.
    Sounds like an issue with Direct Deposit. Should probably contact HR about that.

• Late paying overdraft and late payment fees.
    Take all the time you want with this one. The bank doesn't mind.

• Late to any appointment or engagement.
    Things probably would have worked out better if I was late to the engagement (see alimony above)

• Up late at night trying to catch up on stuff when they should be sleeping.
    Spent the day commenting on TGP posts instead of doing work.

19. Tom CT

Tom CT Old Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Please tell it. I'll bet it's fascinating.

20. Badfrog

Badfrog Member

This is my wife's sister and her husband. We went on vacation with them 2 yrs ago and we were 2hrs late trying to get on the road, they woke up late every day and we were late leaving to come home. We left the one hotel right at checkout time (I've never done that in my life, I've always left hours before checkout time). It's how they do everything.... late late late.

Part of what pisses me off is my sister in law's husband doesn't work so there should never be a good reason to be late but there's always something (dog ran away, kids held them up, forgot something at the store etc etc). They are always late because they are lazy, rude and disrespectful. And like some others have said, they try to do too much.

Any time we get together with them you can bank on them being at least an hour late. Every time. Okay, I feel better now after ranting.