• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

People who flat out lie about their gear/music background?

james...

Silver Supporting Member
I ran into this today. Went to get my oil changed. This really old guy is there that I haven't seen before. (I live in the middle of nowhere). He sees I have a Gretsch shirt on and asks if I play guitar. Immediately, he starts telling me the tallest tales.

-Oh yeah, I've got a lot of guitars. Some Fender Custom shops and stuff.
-A 58 Les Paul
-A 59 Les Paul
-A Super 400
-A 58 Tele
-a 56 Jazzmaster
-Over a dozen vintage Martin guitars

Then he starts talking about how he played with Bob Dylan, Duane Allman, Chet Atkins, blah blah. He's a personal friend of Bob Taylor (who now lives in Atlanta??? HUH?)

Then I ask him what amps he plays and he shoots me a real curve ball.

"OHHHH I only play Fender Hot Rods."

Then he tells me about the 1994 Gretsch Tennessean he just got for $7500. Huh? I wanted to ask who took him to the cleaners on that one.....

Also, why is this 68 year old working at an oil shop if he's got a 59 Les Paul in his studio?

He just kept on and on. By the end of it, I felt kind of sad. The first 10 minutes of the convo, I almost wanted to believe some of it until I started to realize he was a professional smoke blower.

Did you ask him what his TGP moniker is?
Hahaha, rarely does someone win the thread in the very first reply. Well done sir.

I ran into this today. Went to get my oil changed. This really old guy is there that I haven't seen before. (I live in the middle of nowhere). He sees I have a Gretsch shirt on and asks if I play guitar. Immediately, he starts telling me the tallest tales.

-A 58 Les Paul
-A 59 Les Paul
-A Super 400
-A 58 Tele
-a 56 Jazzmaster

Then he starts talking about how he played with Bob Dylan, Duane Allman, Chet Atkins, blah blah. He's a personal friend of Bob Taylor (who now lives in Atlanta??? HUH?)

Then he tells me about the 1994 Gretsch Tennessean he just got for $7500. Huh? I wanted to ask who took him to the cleaners on that one.....

Also, why is this 68 year old working at an oil shop if he's got a 59 Les Paul in his studio?

He just kept on and on. By the end of it, I felt kind of sad. The first 10 minutes of the convo, I almost wanted to believe some of it until I started to realize he was a professional smoke blower.
I would've asked his full name and looked it up right there in front of him. "Hm, strange...can't seem to find a single thing online about you despite you playing with all these legends...odd!"

james...

Silver Supporting Member
Could be retired and just working a gig to have fun. Also he could've been one of the lucky guys to get em cheap. Sometimes folks just want to chat lol
He had me until he talked about the $7000 1994 Gretsch. It was a dead giveaway that he was 100% looney.

I would've asked his full name and looked it up right there in front of him. "Hm, strange...can't seem to find a single thing online about you despite you playing with all these legends...odd!"
I did. And I did. He didn't seem to care.
love a good mid-50s jazzmaster
Exactly.

Jahn

Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver
Silver Supporting Member
A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing. Which is why I never promoted my blog out from under the rock it currently resides under.

Guitarworks

Personality disorder. The guy is probably on the spectrum. I'm sure there is a clinical label for it. I've encountered that type in multiple different arenas in life. For whatever reason they love to shovel dump truck loads of horse****, bull****, and boldface lies like it is truth. They don't seem to get how implausible their stories are.

Chicago Matt

-A 58 Les Paul
-A 59 Les Paul
-A Super 400
-A 58 Tele
-a 56 Jazzmaster

LOL! I think I met this guy at the Guitar Center in Marietta GA.

PatriotBadger

I have never talked to anyone in that actual position who just ups and volunteers that kind of stuff, nor have I done it myself. I kind of view it like a code of honor, I keep it under wraps for some of the guys I know who aren't readily recognized. In fact I get irritated when people try to tease it out, either from them or me. Modesty is always the winning formula among professionals.

The guy is, obviously, full of excrement.

prototype

Silver Supporting Member
Personality disorder. The guy is probably on the spectrum. I'm sure there is a clinical label for it. I've encountered that type in multiple different arenas in life. For whatever reason they love to shovel dump truck loads of horse****, bull****, and boldface lies like it is truth. They don't seem to get how implausible their stories are.
reminds me of the legendary vtec cobra guy

natmiss

Having worked in the music store business for many years I have run across a lot of these characters. One guy went so far as to Photoshop himself with multiple rock stars. When we would get real musicians who play with famous people they never brag about it. Tony Levin came in all the time and I didn't realize who he was for years! Tom Hamilton, B from Willie Nelsons band and a number of others as well.

ishtar

Having just settled for Cobain's Martin, and just arranged with Page to give him enough for Blackie, I just can't stop acquiring really expensive gear and won't quit my job as a special education paraprofessional because I just must have a lot of patience and must be a saint. There is nothing like coming back from an honest's day of work, washing my hands of the sebaceous secretions I've had aerosoled all over me over the course of a day and sit down and play on Horowitz's Steinway...In my spare time, I'm the new CEO of Gretsch guitars, having just purchased them from Fender. When I'm not doing drugs, I'm cleaning my Louvre. DIY activities keep me young, in touch... And, yeah, when I'm in the Louvre, now that I own it, I touch stuff. What was this thread supposed to be about, again?...

Last edited:

lp_bruce

Silver Supporting Member
I've run into a few people who tell tall tales in real life, but I've run into more on discussion boards. I ran across one guy who talked a huge game about what a gig hound and tone connoisseur he was. He owned all this great gear that was obviously the best of everything. He offered advice as though he was a grizzled virtuoso and frequently scoffed at people who disagreed with him.

Then he made the mistake of posting some samples in his signature. And... he was pretty much a beginner who had created some really, really bad home recordings. No chance he'd played many gigs and he was clearly still learning about guitar tone (and rhythm).

Oy.

John Quinn

I almost wanted to believe some of it until I started to realize he was a professional smoke blower.
Why did you vest anything in this fellow? They are sad to be sure - but come on - this guy like many old guys has probably been kicked to the curb and forgotten about - they don't have much left except their 'stories'.

And BTW I said it was a 1954 Gretsch Tennessean not a 1994...sheeze...give a dude a little credit why don't cha?

ThePunisher

The greatest lie I was ever told was a guy telling me that after a show, Springsteen gave him one of his telecasters (yeah right those things are guarded like the president). So naturally I befriended him, and a week later I asked to see it. I go over to his house and he pulls out a butterscotch blonde squire which he had just bought because he knew he was caught in the lie and didn't think I would notice.

Last edited:

Danny W.

A guy who works in my community’s housekeeping department and does setups in the rehearsal room for my big band told me he was once a member of Heart. Searching that group’s history has failed to disclose anyone who meets his description.

He doesn’t claim to have any exotic gear—in fact quite the opposite.

DannyW.

Last edited:

Trending Topics