People who flat out lie about their gear/music background?

COYS

Pfft. If he wanted to be a TGPer he would need to blow smoke about boo-teek stuff like his '59 danocaster

macmax77

Silver Supporting Member
I ran into this today. Went to get my oil changed. This really old guy is there that I haven't seen before. (I live in the middle of nowhere). He sees I have a Gretsch shirt on and asks if I play guitar. Immediately, he starts telling me the tallest tales.

-Oh yeah, I've got a lot of guitars. Some Fender Custom shops and stuff.
-A 58 Les Paul
-A 59 Les Paul
-A Super 400
-A 58 Tele
-a 56 Jazzmaster
-Over a dozen vintage Martin guitars

Then he starts talking about how he played with Bob Dylan, Duane Allman, Chet Atkins, blah blah. He's a personal friend of Bob Taylor (who now lives in Atlanta??? HUH?)

Then I ask him what amps he plays and he shoots me a real curve ball.

"OHHHH I only play Fender Hot Rods."

Then he tells me about the 1994 Gretsch Tennessean he just got for $7500. Huh? I wanted to ask who took him to the cleaners on that one.....

Also, why is this 68 year old working at an oil shop if he's got a 59 Les Paul in his studio?

He just kept on and on. By the end of it, I felt kind of sad. The first 10 minutes of the convo, I almost wanted to believe some of it until I started to realize he was a professional smoke blower.
Well I think we should not think about what people tell us so much. Was he entertaining at least?

Sometimes things are strange, for example, I am valued at least at 40 million right now, still I am stuck in GA for a while in a house that it's not even mine.

LOL, let's play.

bettset

got the guitars, amps and effects that i want and do use. been settled for well over a decade for the most part. not in to flipping stuff. i'll always listen to see if i can catch them saying more about what they may not know. doesn't bother me :munch

JPH118

A guy I bumped into doing some audio work mentioned he played bass... I asked what kind he had, and he answered like a cartoon version of Rodney Dangerfield, “WHAT KIND YA WANT?? I GOT EM ALL!!”, and proceeded to name every brand and model imaginable... I didn’t buy another word he said.

(He didn’t last long mixing audio, either)

bluejazzoid

Silver Supporting Member
If you were a burglar, then working at an oil change business would be great way to secure potential new 'customers'! :D

Think about it: you get a person's name, license plate and home address, and then while they are forced to wait on the oil change, you can yack-it-up with them, find out all kinds of things in the 10-20 minutes they are there. And even if you're just the greasy old dude changing people's oil, if you talk enough BS, you might get them to brag about cool stuff like nice guitars!

;):eek::cool:

Danny W.

The drummer in my big band had a 30+-year career as a first-call player on Broadway. He did play with every name talent out there and has corroboration for most of his stories. His violinist wife was there to witness much of it. Between show runs he’d often tour with big names. When he says “Frank liked it played this way,” or “Liza hated that song,” or “Astrid told this story,” he mean that Frank, Liza and Astrid.

He is a great player, too.

Danny W.

ozraves

Silver Supporting Member
I've heard all sorts of nonsense over the years.

Don't worry about it.

A lot of fabulists out there.

Just keep making music and enjoy the happiness it brings to your life and to others.

boo radley

The mix of 'some' degree of anonymity and internet forums/groups (which really are a way for you to talk about...you) definitely seduces some folks into telling "stretchers."

Anyone remember the early days of the internet - usenet - before multimedia? You couldn't "post your clips," even if you wanted to....

BlueRiff

I ran into this today. Went to get my oil changed. This really old guy is there that I haven't seen before. (I live in the middle of nowhere). He sees I have a Gretsch shirt on and asks if I play guitar. Immediately, he starts telling me the tallest tales.

-A 58 Les Paul
-A 59 Les Paul
-A Super 400
-A 58 Tele
-a 56 Jazzmaster

Then he starts talking about how he played with Bob Dylan, Duane Allman, Chet Atkins, blah blah. He's a personal friend of Bob Taylor (who now lives in Atlanta??? HUH?)

Then he tells me about the 1994 Gretsch Tennessean he just got for $7500. Huh? I wanted to ask who took him to the cleaners on that one.....

Also, why is this 68 year old working at an oil shop if he's got a 59 Les Paul in his studio?

He just kept on and on. By the end of it, I felt kind of sad. The first 10 minutes of the convo, I almost wanted to believe some of it until I started to realize he was a professional smoke blower.
Yet you have no way to disprove what the guy was saying and didn't get his name. Nothing wrong with overpaying for a guitar if it really meant a lot to him and really liking the sound of Hot Rod amps. And to top it off - dings him for working at an oil shop because its apparently it's degrading for '58 Paul owners to be standing down in the oil change bay.

prototype

Silver Supporting Member
I just remembered when i was in college circa 2007 or 2008 (just before the smartphone days) i worked in Sears home electronics with a guy in his late 30s who said he was Tom Petty's guitar tech or amp tech and went on tour with the band in the past. Another guy i worked with was an older gentleman who was really into classic rock and brought in a Tom Petty concert DVD from home that was from the appropriate time and paused during the credits to look for our co-worker's name. Wasn't there. Best part is there were three of us guitar players in the department all in bands and nobody believed him.

Last edited:

dogbone94

Silver Supporting Member

-A 58 Les Paul
-A 59 Les Paul
-A Super 400
-A 58 Tele
-a 56 Jazzmaster

It was good talking to you today James....

james...

Silver Supporting Member
Yet you have no way to disprove what the guy was saying and didn't get his name. Nothing wrong with overpaying for a guitar if it really meant a lot to him and really liking the sound of Hot Rod amps. And to top it off - dings him for working at an oil shop because its apparently it's degrading for '58 Paul owners to be standing down in the oil change bay.
He gave several statements that made it clear he was lying.

Trending Topics