People Who Gig (Cover or original) Do you have Sideman Syndrome ?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Baminated, Feb 25, 2012.

Do You Have Sideman Syndrome ?

1. Extremely So

2. Yes

3. Kinda

4. Nope

5. Definitely Not

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Baminated

Baminated Member

On any level. I have been on call for many bands lately knowing different setlists, etc . . . The situations allow me to subsidize my work on more creative efforts or advancement efforts music wise.

However, i know I need to lead my own band , sing more songs , etc . . to where I can at least split the night vocally w/someone, but I know that will cut into my creative/chopsbusting time, and I have a hard time facing that.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  2. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

why would it cut into your time?

3. Baminated

Baminated Member

Easier to learn instrumental parts. Alot more work is involved when fronting - vocal practice (another instrument altogether), memorizing lyrics, coordinating guitar parts while singing

The variables def increase considerably an add to the workload

On top of that, it's the discipline & tenacity it takes to chase people down for gigs to break out of the sideman mold

4. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Supporting Member

I ran a band for a few years. Now, around here jazz jobs pay so badly -- I can't ask people to rehearse my music to go pay a pass-the-hat gig. Since the whole point of having "my band' was to enjoy playing my tunes, it just doesn't add up anymore.

At this point I'm an eager sideman -- "I'm here by choice!"

5. mesa/boogieman

mesa/boogieman Senior Member

Had a bad experience fronting/leading a band a little over a year ago and I'm still at the point where I don't want to do it again. I'm very happy learning my guitar parts, showing up and playing and ripping some solos.

6. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

^ me too.

I need to be doing my own original project though and I don't know if I have the drive anymore (at 56).

7. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

I do my thing. That's writing songs, fronting the band and soloing. I'd be interested to experience the "sideman" aspect but I don't really have the background in covers or the desire to play those songs that would allow me to excel in that environment. In short, nobody would really be interested in me in that role. :)

8. sixstringslut

sixstringslut Member

If I was a good singer, had the magic personality and quick witted tongue, I could be a front man. For now I have neither of these, so I am a sideman for life I guess.

I'm good with that.

9. bloozetubes

bloozetubes Member

10. Strum und Twang

Strum und Twang Member

After two decades of being primarily the sideman on guitar, my wife and I put together an acoustic duo. She had been a bass player with us for a comparable amount of time and suddenly we were thrust into being "front men" for three hour gigs. It's been an excellent education, but I have to confess that dragging my Tele out recently with a local bluesman has been a nice respite from all the responsibilities of fronting an act.

11. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

Those things don't count as creative?

I went through this transition a few years back. You just have to think of yourself as a different artist. More than just a guitar player.

Booking gigs is my least favorite part, but when I look at my last year I realize that I played up to 22 solo gigs a month and those were also the months I made the most money, I feel very satisfied.

12. gixxerrock

gixxerrock Member

I am a guitar player. I am happy to work on my craft and make a band/singer sound good.

13. shane88

shane88 Member

if ur a guitarist ur job is to support the song ie all guitarists are sidemen

14. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

tell that to Satriani

15. shane88

shane88 Member

:crazyguy i doubt if he'd listen to me but still his playing supports his songs - does it not?

16. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Nope been a leader too many times ... lots of responsibility ...

17. gmann

gmann Member

This is me 100%.

18. roverdog

roverdog Member

I've never heard of sideman syndrome. Please identify what the symptoms are.

PS, I've been a bass player, guitarist and vocalist in bands so I have been a sideman but don't know if I suffer from the syndrome

19. wiscojay

wiscojay Member

Ive been in a band for about 3 years. Its really my baby. But I always have tried to make it a collabritive thing in all ways. Everyone has a voice on stage, at practice etc. But Im the "lead man" And ive been noticing more and more that the two other guys really dont seem to want the spotlight. I need to step it up.

20. Baminated

Baminated Member

It's kinda getting stuck in a rut as a supporting player which takes you out of the discipline of hustling your own jobs of your own act because of relying on others to do the bookings/marketing/advertising, etc . . ., although as a sideman, I actually advertise the gigs harder than some of the bandleaders !