People who have entirely uninspiring guitars who just play anyway?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by LoopyBullet, May 4, 2015.

1. twitch

twitch Member

So I undersatand the notion here, and subscribe to it to a certain degree. I am a bit of a gear snob, and have mostly nice and higher end guitars. However, my $300 yamaha acoustic gets plenty of play, and I reach for my son's Epiphone SG sometimes as well, and I am not "unispired". So I am not sure my nicer guitars inspire me, more than they do help me play/sound better. But the guitars by themselves won't get it done. A better player than me, is going to sound better on cheap gear, than i do on expensive gear.

2. muzishun

muzishun Member

Nah! So many great players are obsessed (whatever that means) with gear.

3. Grainslayer

Grainslayer Member

My gear it suitable for my abilities and the amount I play..I have a goal of where I want to be in my abilities before I consider a higher end guitar..but then,maybe I'll just buy another mexi-fender..I would like to play a high end guitar that's been professionally set up to see how much difference there is...

4. twoheadedboy

twoheadedboy Member

If you really love to play, any decent guitar can be inspiring.

5. flint

flint Member

Maybe a bit off topic, but even after you can afford the best gear, you can't abandon the cheap stuff completely or you might miss out on a real gem. My main acoustic is a Takamine I paid $250 for in 1980 and I wouldn't take $2500 for it.

6. doctorx

doctorx Member

I have a Stellar brand Les Paul I got off Ebay for $200 shipped, with case. Once I had a pro setup done, it plays like a wet dream and sounds great.

If I can get a guitar to play well, stay in tune, and sound good, I don't care how much it didn't cost.

7. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

I've been inspired by some rather ordinary guitars. "Uninspired" is more me than the equipment.
    MD