People who have owned the Celestion Gold and the Cream Alnico

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by michael.e, Jan 11, 2019 at 9:43 PM.

1. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

please chime in. I had a Gold a couple of times and I liked it ok. I have not tried the Cream Alnico. This is for a 1-12 application and rock/chimey tones.

2. otolathe

otolathe Member

I would say the Gold is chimey-er but watch that power rating! I've blown one up in a 50 watt combo. Duh. My bad, I know.

3. RodR

RodR Member

I love my 1x12 open cab with an alnico cream. Rock/Chimey will do no problem. I use mine with a Dr Z Route 66, or with a Jet City 20 Head. I have even used it with a Pro Jr., a Fender Greta, etc... It sounds great with anything!

bulbasaur_85 and rhinocaster like this.
  4. rickc007

rickc007 Gold Supporting Member

I have both, the 90 is a bit fuller sounding.

I'd go Gold for more of a vintagey tone, rock definetly the 90

Gold may be a tad chimier, but thinner sounding

effectsman likes this.
  5. ROKY

ROKY Member

What amp ?

6. bulbasaur_85

bulbasaur_85 Member

I’ve got a cream and it sounds nice and smooth with a matchless 30/15 and bad cat classic deluxe. No ice pick highs and a nice balanced low end. Has a nice alnico blue “feel” to it.

Also picked up an A Type which sounds really really nice with the bad cat fender style amp.

rickc007 likes this.
  7. michael.e

Thanks all. It is for my Supro Jupiter. The stock speaker sounds good but it is not quite what I want. It also has a cross in the baffle that I want to cut out. I can not record off the dustcap and it limits my options.

8. michael.e

9. rustolium

rustolium Member

The cream has won my heart. I end up putting them in everything. It started with ASW elegantes. I keep others around for specific things but my first attempt is always thru my 4X12 loaded with cream back alnicos. It’s steller in a 1X12 I have too.

RAG7890 likes this.
  10. michael.e

Yeah, I blew up a 100w Alnico Fane Blue with a 50w Marshall from '72.

11. RAG7890

RAG7890 Member

Celestion Cream Alnico = Awesome in a 112 & 212. I’ll shortly be running an open back BB 212 Cab with them.

Have not tried them in a 412 but Lance’s Demo speaks volumes IMHO.

DV52, ruger9 and bulbasaur_85 like this.
  12. gmann

gmann Member

I put one in my Deluxe Reverb RI today. Digging it so far.

bulbasaur_85 and rustolium like this.
  13. Gallery

Gallery Supporting Member

I ordered both a Gold and a Cream to try with my Supro Black Magick and JTM45. The Gold went back. I still have the Cream and have since sold the Supro and JTM45. I’ve used the Cream with a Jim Kelley Reverb, Friedman JJ100, and a Brownface Deluxe and it has sounded great with every amp.

The Gold was too boxy or nasally sounding to me. The Cream was more Greenback-ish, which suits my taste perfectly. I’m sure there are some amps that sound great with the Gold, but the Cream has proven its versatility for me.

However, I should mention that neither the Gold or Cream sounded better with the Supro than the stock speaker. The stock speaker built by Eminence for Supro was voiced perfectly for that amp.

14. Echoplexi

Echoplexi Silver Supporting Member

I can’t personally say how it compares to a gold, but the Cream is really amazing in a 112 (or otherwise). Probably the most versatile speaker I’ve ever used

bulbasaur_85 and jnovac1 like this.
  15. MHG

MHG Member

I've had the Gold for many years and just didn't love it with any of the amps I tried it with. There was something about the mids that I just wasn't able to bond with. The only amp I actually liked it with was a Two-Rock Akoya. Golds seem to be a great match for Bassman amps.

Loved the Cream right out of the box and continue to use it with a variety of amps, both British and American. The fact that it sounds great with amps from both sides of the pond, combined with its 90w power rating, makes for a really versatile 1x12 cab. :aok

16. effectsman

effectsman Supporting Member

I agree with what Rick007 said. My Gold took a long long time to break in and relax. It could be definitely chimier than the Cream, but also a bit harsh in the mids and high treble until it relaxed. After that I liked it a lot more.

The Cream compared to the Gold is kind of like going up a string gauge. Everything sounds a bit thicker than the Gold and with Marshall type sounds the Cream is definitely less edgy in a good way compare to the Gold. Some describe it as a smooth speaker, which it is, but it is very balanced so nothing is over emphasized, whereas with the Gold the chimney top could get too much.

bulbasaur_85, Echoplexi and jnovac1 like this.
  17. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

Damn, I was sold on the Cream before, just based on descriptions and power handling alone, but.... Lance's demo!!!! I-chee-wah-wah!!!!!

Have to measure my 1x12 combo and see if the bell will clear the power tubes....

18. willie k

willie k Silver Supporting Member

I have the Alnico Cream in a 1x12 open back cab. I really don't feel the need to explore other speaker options.

19. let sleeping dogs lie

let sleeping dogs lie Member

the golds are great (4 in total)...lots of great reviews on the cream..heard they are smoother..got my eyes open for one or two...either way both are a good choice

20. DV52

DV52 Member

The Metroplex sure helped .