• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

People who insist on their Strat being SSS, what do you use the bridge pickup for?

Badside

Seriously... bridge humbuckers at least are good for distorted rhythm tones. But single coils? Why make the thinnest pickup position even thinner? Sure you can roll the tone down and fatten it up, but you're working with so little output by then you need an extra pedal to compensate.

I love the Strat's middle and neck sounds, but I still can't figure out what to do with that bridge pickup and don't understand why some people just spit on HSS Strat as if they were the devil.

I do admit SSS Strats look better though.

Basically convince me not to install a bridge humbucker on my Strat.

nomadh

I like an s s s strat also. But youre right. Bridge pickup is least used. Yet I've never even picked up a hss strat.
It's kinda crazy. Too late now I'm out of my 20 yr strat phase.

Presc

I agree that they’re not the easiest. Overwound bridge pickups help, as does a dedicated control. But played through a fuzz pedal and a loud amp...it’s a match made in heaven. The fuzz provides plenty of low end, and the single coil gives an aggressive cut. Fuzz changed my opinion of Strat bridge tones!

rhinocaster

Gold Supporting Member
Seriously... bridge humbuckers at least are good for distorted rhythm tones. But single coils? Why make the thinnest pickup position even thinner? Sure you can roll the tone down and fatten it up, but you're working with so little output by then you need an extra pedal to compensate.

I love the Strat's middle and neck sounds, but I still can't figure out what to do with that bridge pickup and don't understand why some people just spit on HSS Strat as if they were the devil.

I do admit SSS Strats look better though.

Basically convince me not to install a bridge humbucker on my Strat.

The Strat single coil bridge pickup is essential to the classic 4th position sound and it’s also a great sound for epic fuzz or when you want to “talk” with the guitar.

A humbucker in the bridge position of a Strat is a great sound but you give up plenty when you go that direction.

Hmmm... times have changed!

I once got clowned by a famous pro for even asking that question here.

Turns out the famous pro's solution worked for him, not me.

I have a JB Jr in the bridge of my favorite Strat. Doesn’t sound at all like a full sized JB to me but it sounds better than a single.

Last edited:

WayneM

Almost a Strat - the bridge is a low output Lollar P-90
GT026_11.jpg

Trending Topics

Top Bottom