people with more then one guitar

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by rich2k4, Jan 3, 2008.

1. rich2k4

rich2k4 Supporting Member

how do you guys play them all? i have a strat, tele, les paul, and ibanez st50.

i find myself grabbing the ibanez the most because it's on a guitar stand while the other expensive ones are in the cases. i use the les paul live and at band practice, but the other 2, the strat and tele just sit there. recently i have tried to avoid picking up the st50 and getting the telecaster out.

buit then the strat just sits in the case. i got the strat setup a few months ago and haven't played it since i recieved it back from the store.

i notice eople with 10 les pauls, do they honestly play them all, or are they just there for show

2. XKnight

XKnight Member

I currently have 7 electric guitars and they all get played. Some days I play just one, other days I play a few different ones. When a guitar starts just sitting in its case that's usually a good indicator that it's time to sell or trade it.

3. rich2k4

rich2k4 Supporting Member

thing is, i don't want to sell them. because later i'd want that same style guitar again.

but with this, atleast i know that when i see a telecaster pic or someone with a telecaster i can be like "oh yea, i have a telecaster too" and then it makes me take it out and play it.

4. jcground

jcground Member

I like to think my guitars are all good for different things - single coils, P-90s, humbuckers, piezo, acoustic, 12-string, etc... But, I have to confess that I could get by with just a couple of guitars and I'd probably still be fine. I guess that means having more than one is partly because it's a collection. I have them because they're cool.

I don't think I'd go so far as to have a bunch of the same make and model of guitar, though even those can be different from each other for a variety of reasons.

5. r080

r080 Member

I have two electrics, a tele and a hamer import.

I rarely keep them both around. I like to lend my hamer to friends who don't usually play electric.

6. Birddog

Birddog Member

I have 6 and they all get played, too. I gig with two, a Strat and a Showmaster and practice the most with them, but I also keep another Strat at our band's practice space and then I have a hollowbody that I don't gig with, but I use for recording and a 100 dollar cheapie OLP MM-1 that I postitively love. I play that at least a few times a month, too. My other is an Ibanez A/E, which frequently sees early morning or late night action.

Like one of the above posts said, if there are some you're not playing and it's bothering you, turn them into cash or a guitar that you will play.

7. BCRich86

BCRich86 Member

I have different tunings so that way I have a specific reason to pick it up.

8. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Gold Supporting Member

My Tele lives under the couch downstairs. If I'm forced to play quietly downstairs, boom, I play the Tele through the little Princeton. I find myself playing that Tele more than expected...

My trio of Guild Starfires all get a nice consistent workout upstairs. One's a 6-string hollowbody with venetian cutaway, one's a 12-string semi doublecutaway, and the third's a bass. Plenty of variety here and all sound great through the Concert.

My actual bedroom guitars live under the bed, which are acoustics. The Martin gets brought out for songwriting ideas (not brought out as much as i like) and the Gibson for performance (uh oh, heading down cover alley again...)

Why do I feel like I left one out? Oh crap, my 12-string Guild. Well, that's bad, I almost forgot I had it, haven't played it since my electric 12-string Guild came into the house. Well, someday roles will reverse and I'll want to lean towards acoustics once more and that F312 will be waiting...

9. JP

JP Guitarist of Mojo Radio

Good Point, I currently own three guitars, LP,Strat and Nocaster. I tend to always grab my Strat for warming up at home, They are so damn combfortable. Now depending on the three bands I play in, some require a mix of LP & Strat,LP & Nocaster or Strat and Nocaster. I love them all and they all offer me tonal options depending on the job. I would also say, depending on the style I may be learning or mood I am, I can grab anyone of those guitars to make me happy and help fit the mood or vibe I am going after. :BEER

10. mcalldp

mcalldp Member

I've had six guitars at the most (Counting two acoustics) but have found I just never use more than 4, so I guess that's my magic number. I have two acoustics and two electrics.

-One acoustic Is lower end with high strings and I use it for practice, keeps my hands strong.

-Second acoustic for recording and playing out.

-52 reissue tele

-EJ Strat

The two electrics I go back and forth on about the same amount depending on mood and need. I just can't BOND with more than this and others end up sitting and not getting played. Plus, changing strings gets to be a pain and hell, it's a lot of money too! I'm sure I'll feel different after I buy my next guitar tho' ;-p

11. Irreverent

Irreverent Silver Supporting Member

Right on, Brother! (and the term "brother" was not used in any religious context...)

12. alanbass1

alanbass1 Member

I used to keep just a few guitars. However, it seemed that I would get rid of a guitar, say a Les Paul for example, as I didn't use it only to find that six months later I'd want a Les Paul. So, I decided to keep any guitar that I hadn't a duplicate of regardless and now have a load. I tend to play two or three consistently and a number haven't been played for a long time, but their time will come around again.

13. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

I currently have eight electrics. Typically, I will bring 3 to a gig: My main gigger, an ES175; a "backup" parts Tele strung with lighter (11-52) strings (for when I want to rock out a bit); and a Silvertone Jupiter tuned down to D and strung with a 15-60 set, which I use for a couple of tunes.

I do leave one parts Tele in the stand in my home office, and I'll pick it up and noodle with it, when the spirit moves me. But most of them stay packed and ready to head out the door for gigs and the occasional rehearsal.

Most of the other guitars sometimes get thrown into the gigging "rotation" and two of the 8 are currently up for sale, so the "real" number is 6. And I have no real plans to add any more...

I also own four acoustics, which all get gigged when I'm doing acoustic duo gigs, etc.

14. air guitar god

air guitar god Member

I faced this very issue yesterday. I have seven guitars and I only played what i had out on wall hangers...2 guitars. So i went out and got one of those warwick guitar stands for 5 guitars. It doesn't take up much space, feels pretty secure and will allow me to grab a guitar on the spur of the moment. I just got too lazy moving stuff around to get to my cases and this will hopefully make playing all my guitars a little easier.

15. mprvise

mprvise Member

11 total and 9 electrics. Of those, 6 electrics get gigged and played very regularly. The other 3 electrics come out occasionally. The two acoustics don't see much action at all these days. Very little overlap in my electrics - all are pretty different from one another and serve different purposes.

16. frankthomson

frankthomson Member

PATIENCE, MY SON. :D

now a question to you; if you were financially secure enuf have 50 guitars, would you?

do you think they go bad?

do you think their feelings are hurt?

do you have just one pen?

one pencil?

17. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

7 or so and I hate having more than a couple. But I am a strat addict. I always think I'm selling some off, but talk myself out and end up buying another.

18. prsflame

prsflame Member

I have 9, and no plans to add anymore guitars into the mix. I gig 3x's per week, and bring 2 guitars to every gig. I'm constantly rotating through my collection, so that all of my guitars get the same amount of playtime. I no longer have instruments in my collection that do not see regular playtime.

19. meterman

meterman Member

5 electrics - 2 Strats & 2 early 80s Ibanez semi-hollows, one '78 Ibanez Performer LP copy. Tried Teles, other types but get everything I need from either a Strat or semi-hollow, LP rarely gets played but not worth selling. I like having a backup for each type, plus they are each slightly different (ie: maple EJ & RW CP 60s Strat). Keep them on a 5 space stand in my practice room/studio and make a point of rotating between them. Nice to have options, without going too far overboard....

20. jcoggins7

jcoggins7 Member

I only have two, but I play both of them.