People you were surprised to find out were good on guitar

blueworm

Only found out relatively recently that Christopher Cross was such a good player and actually played the cool solo on Run like the Wind (which I always assumed was done by a studio pro)
Christopher Cross is really good. There's a story out there (maybe I read that from Eric Johnson) that he subbed for Ritchie Blackmore on a couple dates of DP's first American tour, as RB was sick.

Bankston

Jerry Reed. When I was a kid, I first saw him in Smokey and the Bandit. I thought he was an actor. Boy was I wrong. He was not just a guitar player. He was a Certified Guitar Player.

Another surprise was Clint Black, when I saw him in concert years ago. He was pretty dang good.

Golem

Supporting Member
Paul Allen. Prince. I didn't think of some pop stars as guitarists initially but later realized guitar is the only instrument they ever play live and that they're quite talented. Ed Sheeran is sort of an obvious example. I'm not a huge fan of Shawn Mendes, but he can clearly play.

MikeMcK

Silver Supporting Member
Hugh Laurie. I thought his thing for guitars was just part of his House character, but the guy can really play. And very well.
I saw him do a show, and I remember him as a pretty good pianist and singer, but I don't remember him playing guitar. Then again, at that point I was still a little freaked from finding out he was British.

Trending Topics