People you were surprised to find out were good on guitar

Dave Mason plays the acoustic rhythm parts on Hendrix's All Along the Watchtower.

I didn't know about Clint Black being good on guitar, but I did know he was an excellent drummer. There was an A&E By Request live gig where he got behind the kit and the while band did a highly credible version of Steely Dan's 'Josie'.

NHL Goalie Henrick Lundquist is pretty good on guitar.

Last edited:

mkr1

Silver Supporting Member
This one is way off the beaten path. I'm told by a friend (who is an incredible drummer) that Don McGhan - former White House Counsel - is a genuine shredder of a guitarist. My drummer friend was childhood friends with him and they played their 1st ever gig together when they were 10 years old. They've stayed in touch over the ensuing years.
I came here to vouch. The most impressive YT clip, which I saw about 2 yrs ago and which has since been made private, was McGahn acquitting himself nicely (yes I did) on the solo to Don’t Stop Believin’. These days all that you can find is a section of Sweet Child O Mine that doesn’t make his talent as apparent.

dcburn

Silver Supporting Member
Norah Jones.
Saw her at Bonnaroo around ten years ago. I'm a pretty big fan, never knew she played much guitar until that set. She played guitar pretty much the whole set. Actually that same day (pretty sure same day) I saw Jack White, but as a drummer for The Dead Weather (didn't know he was the drummer in that band)

Whiskeyrebel

Silver Supporting Member
I didn't know Sammy Hagar played guitar until 2 months ago...
I knew he played but during his solo career I always thought Gary Pihl played the solos. Then I got a live album and he announces
"I been Now I been hogging all the lead here
I gotta let my man have some
C'mon Gary, you want to prove yourself? Keep your job?
You just stand right over there, I'll be over here
We'll have a little battle, alright?
Take your best shot,"
And they start trading fours.
And I was like, all those other solos were Sammy? Damn. Sammy could bring the rock.

RCCola

(|@ / \ @ |.)
Gold Supporting Member
Norah Jones.
Saw her at Bonnaroo around ten years ago. I'm a pretty big fan, never knew she played much guitar until that set. She played guitar pretty much the whole set. Actually that same day (pretty sure same day) I saw Jack White, but as a drummer for The Dead Weather (didn't know he was the drummer in that band)
Was going to mention her. Saw her play some guitar on Austin City Limits. Seriously talented. Like too talented

kd2024

I knew he played but during his solo career I always thought Gary Pihl played the solos. Then I got a live album and he announces
"I been Now I been hogging all the lead here
I gotta let my man have some
C'mon Gary, you want to prove yourself? Keep your job?
You just stand right over there, I'll be over here
We'll have a little battle, alright?
Take your best shot,"
And they start trading fours.
And I was like, all those other solos were Sammy? Damn. Sammy could bring the rock.
it’s almost like none of you ever saw him when he was solo before VanHagar....

RCCola

(|@ / \ @ |.)
Gold Supporting Member
Didn't know Silvio Dante on The Sopranos was who he is in real life (wasn't a big Bruce fan growing up)

Scott SG

ember
Silver Supporting Member
it’s almost like none of you ever saw him when he was solo before VanHagar....
even that first Van Hagar tour in 1986 - saw them in Providence Rhode Island and both Sammy and Eddie were playing off each other all night. It kind of turned into a jam thing by the end with Sammy trading leads with Eddie several times which as pretty awesome!

My favorite VH tour

kd2024

even that first Van Hagar tour in 1986 - saw them in Providence Rhode Island and both Sammy and Eddie were playing off each other all night. It kind of turned into a jam thing by the end with Sammy trading leads with Eddie several times which as pretty awesome!

My favorite VH tour
Exactly but I’d seen Sammy on two tours (Standing Hampton and Three Lock Box) and twice at the Texas Jam.

Ive always known he was a badass.

JukeBoxRat

Supporting Member
Was going to mention her. Saw her play some guitar on Austin City Limits. Seriously talented. Like too talented
I love her and think she's fabulous. But yeah. I'm totally jealous of her talent. Piano, guitar, and that voice. Probably other instruments, too.

It's kind of like Prince, who's even more insanely talented. If he had just been a guitar player, he'd have still been unreal, but he could do all that other stuff, too. Save some talent for the rest of us, dude!

Trending Topics