Peppermint Fuzz, D*A*M 66, or Zvex Fuzz Factory?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Sunstone Recordings, Feb 11, 2008.

1. Sunstone Recordings

Sunstone Recordings Supporting Member

Hey fuzz heads

I'm searching for that mid sixties fuzz tone... think Rubber Soul. My contenders are:

Phoenix Custom Electronics Lady Stardust - My friend has one, and is selling it. I can try this out this week at practice for sure.
    Analogman Peppermint Fuzz - apparently really great for what I'm looking to do
    Zvex Fuzz Factory - i remember this could get pretty close, and also very versatile
    DAM 1966 - TOO EXPENSIVE - don't think it's worth the $$ when I can get very very close with both of the above fuzzes.

any suggestions before I take the plunge?

2. starfish

starfish Supporting Member

Those are three considerably different sounding fuzzes IMO. What Rubber Soul fuzz sound are you after? The Beatles got some fuzz sounds going through the board, not a fuzzbox. Others have included custom EMI boxes and the Vox Tonebender - i.e. "Think For Yourself." So perhaps the 1966 is what you are after?

The Gibson / Maestro FZ-1 was reportedly owned early on but supposedly never used on main released recordings.

3. Sunstone Recordings

mid sixties, basically. I know there are subtle differences, but to me they all sound similar to some degree. I'm thinking Rubber Soul/Revolver. Just wondering if the pep fuzz will get me there.

4. zep41

zep41 Member

Analogman Peppermint fuzz will get you there. Its the best fuzz I've ever played (even better than the AM sun face, IMO) and you can dial in MANY different style fuzz tones on this if you experiment with the knobs for a while.

5. thedroid

thedroid Member

If you think you want a Mk1 tonebender and can't afford the DAMM, there's a company called BajaTech that sells on eBay and makes a pedal called a BoneBender. I believe it's a mk 1 clone. I've never tried their pedals, though, so I can't say how good a clone it is.

6. jgyn

jgyn Member

I compared a Bonebender with an old Vox Tonebender and thought it got pretty close.

7. Prof.Fuzz

Prof.Fuzz Member

I've never had the opportunity to play an original MKI so I can't compare directly, but I do have a Baja Tech Bone Bender. It is a very raw and nasty sounding fuzz. Not as trebly as the Ashbass Fuzzbrite (Mosrite Fuzzrite clone), but it has a good deal of upper end as well as enough bass and mids. The Bone Bender is rapidly becoming my favorite fuzz! It's small. Well made. Sounds great.

8. WorkingClassDan

WorkingClassDan Member

Bonebender sounds so wrong. I'd rather have a Big Muff. :D

9. Sunstone Recordings

hahaha wcd

bump? I'm on the verge here...

10. gururyan

gururyan Member

[​IMG]

I stomp on this when I am playing Beatles and other 60's fuzz songs. Sure, people will argue which fuzz/technique was used for each and every recording, but when I play my 1966...the ears don't lie.