Percussive sounding speakers?!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Reissueplayer, Dec 26, 2005.

1. Reissueplayer

Reissueplayer Member

Quite recently I played a 210 THD Bassman that was beautiful sounding. Of course the amp itself played a role but the feel I got from the percussive sounding and snappy speakers was remarkable. I was told the speakers were vintage Jensen elements. I attributed the snappy sound to the speakers being 10" but after buying myself a 210 cab with webers, I discovered this wasn't the case.

I've also played cabs with Celestion elements, I believe they were G12Hs, that gave the same quality. It's a fast response and attack, almost like a handclap. If this makes sense to anyone else out there, I'd appreciate input on what kind of speakers would produce these sounds.

Currently I own a variety of Celestions (a new G12H, V30, Blue) a few Fanes (Ax12, ax150) but none of them even come close. Please help me out!

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

IMHO, most guitar players have no idea what you're referring unless they're also bass players. to be able to add that percussive, fat, punchie dynamic to a guitar rig is a thing of beauty. my bass playing instincts looong knew this, but only recently have i realized that its also true in my guitar playing world. i've recently gone mostly 10", and havent looked back.

i.e. if you do albert king style pulls in your playing, 10" speakers will literally smack you in the chest. 12" speakers sound soft and greatly compressed in comparison. i first found this out while comparing two Victoria combo's, a 2x12 and a 4x10 of the same ilk.

a great set of 10" speakers i've been digging are eminence's ragin' cajuns. massive bottom end w/ an airy, snappy high end. very similar to Dr. Z's own 10" speakers, which the RC's replaced in my little Dr. Z 2x10 cab. my current obsessive crave tho has to be the tone tubby alinco 10" speakers. rich sweet fatness, that IMHO, sounds AMAZING w/ voxy inspired amps.

3. Reissueplayer

Reissueplayer Member

thanks for the reply. I'll check out the Eminence and the Tone Tubby elements when I get the chance. So, 10" and alnico might be the ombination to go for?

4. DiazDude

DiazDude Member

I have G12H's in a replica Marshall 4x12TV and it the best
    sounding cab/speaker combination I've heard in 30+ yrs of playing.:JAM
    But the amp does the pushing and IMO has a helluva lot to do with it.
    I switch between a SLO100 & Diaz CD100. Obviously great "pushers".

5. tybone

tybone Member

The tone tubbies, even the 12's, can give a very percussive effect.

6. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

You will want a speaker with a big, strong magnet. The magnet is what controls the speaker movement and larger magnets control the speaker better. I use a JBL in my Tone King and the bass is tight as hell. Generally ceramic magnets will control the bass better then alnico.

7. Roe

Roe Member

which weber did you use? It wasn't a 10c150 or a ceramic california or michigan I presume?

8. Reissueplayer

Reissueplayer Member

The webers are 10A125-30W

9. Roe

Roe Member

try the new scumbag 10" speakers

10. Roe

Roe Member

You'll need a ceramic speaker with a big magnet. However the 10a125 is a great speaker.

11. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

Mesa MC90's

12. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

not necessarily,

ceramic's might actually give you a faster, quicker feel, while some alnico's might seem sluggish. again, highly dependant on its design.

interesting..

but one man's tight, might be another man's stiff, which isnt necessarily punchy and responsive. big magnets do of course contribute to that, but again, its all in the design.

bottom line, i think any speaker that has a nice push in the 120-200Hz area would give you that punch in the gut kinda of sensation. i.e. w/ my bass rig, i usually give a nice goose in those frequencies for extra oomph and punch to punch thru a dense mix, and most bass speakers/cabs are voiced in that range for that extra cut and punchy sensation.

13. woude

woude Member

10" jensen alnico's sound really percussive. I like their balance between rythem / solo playing; notes really jump out of the amp, the dynamics are really amazing.