Perfect Example That Tone Is In Amp, Not Hands.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Dave_C, Jul 22, 2010.

1. teemuk

teemuk Member

Someone please post that youtube clip where some guys dead on nails the tone of all those classic guitar heroes using just a single amp and a single guitar, varying only his style of playing and guitar's volume or tone.

I can't seem to find that one anymore.

2. steveRB

steveRB Member

3. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

Man, people confuse this all the time. I didn't get a chance to listen to the clip, but a player's sound (phrasing, touch, attack) is in his hands, but the tone (EQ, distortion quality, etc.) is from the gear. Sometimes it's hard to separate the two.

There's only a million posts lately on EVH, look at him. He sounds completely different when he switched to Soldano vs. the old Marshall. You'd hardly think it was the same player with same hands.

4. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

I thought that was really great. A performance with some FLOW between all three guys.

I NEVER would have thought about the tone if not for the OP, the music and playing were so good. I feel the same way about Mike Stern. He is a bad ass, I would would dig him through whatever.

Nitpicking amazing players for "tone" is like finding fault with Cindy Crawford because of that "mole." What was she thinking? :D

5. teemuk

teemuk Member

Thank you! :bow

6. pennylink

pennylink Member

Fantastic clip. What is the effect Oz uses on and off starting at about the 1 min mark?

7. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

I listened to it, well half of it...and I agree with the OP. I was not so into it. The guitar tone sounds really thin and "toyish". Not just for the effx he uses.

8. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

That was cool. Nice playing. He does a great job with the phrasing and styles of most of those guys. Except a few, I didn't listen to them all but I didn't think the EVH and Yngwie weren't even close. What sounds different with most of them is sounds like the tone of the guitar sounds like a thinner approximation of it. It sounds very right on some though, while not on others. But the styles are very spot on for many.

This is a great example of separating the finger work from the gear.

9. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

pretty sure that I would sound radically different than oz playing through his gear.

hands/head = over 50% of tone

10. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

Smolder, what you choose to play would obviously be different for anyone, but that same artificial, digital thinness in the sound would be present. That's not from his fingers, I hope!

Guys watch the Eric Johnson Gdec video. I'm too lazy to go link it. Phrasing and clean playing are total EJ sig. But it still sounds just like a Gdec.

11. cisspcism

cisspcism Member

Dude, hands/ head equal skill and talent?!?

Ok if tone is in the hands, then what the heck do you guys call it when we turn the bass, mids, treb controls? Why is it called a tone knob? If tone is in the hands than I guess tone knobs arent needed.

OK to avoid confusion, we are never allowed to say tone anymore.

Instead we shall now say. I love that guys EQ and gain levels :)

and if a guy is a good player than we will say he has good style, command and talent over the instrument.

Tone is in the hands. Hey I need to lower the mids at 1khz so maybe I should cut off a part of my middle finger on my fretting hand :)

Last edited: Jul 23, 2010
  12. zephaniah zion

zephaniah zion Member

This! Tone is in the gear. Skill is in using talent and aptitude to make something epic.:D

13. Rena Rune

Rena Rune Member

Honestly, people who say "Tone is in the fingers" are usually immensely traditionalistic and ignorant of other styles.

14. cisspcism

cisspcism Member

Tone to me is all about how pickups, amps, dirt boxes are eq'ed. Has nothing to do with someones playing. I guess if you pick the strings closer to the bridge vs closer to the nechk pickup the tone can be different.

Yes EHV will sound like EVH, but is sound(tone) will be different from amp to amp.

15. zachman

zachman Senior Member

It ALL counts toward the final result that our GEAR produces-- before/as it- transmits the frequencies through the air and is then perceived in the brain of the listener.

The "tone is in the hands" camp argue the fact that the hands start the sequence of events and therefore are responsible for tone, sound, and timbre'. The "I sound like me no matter what I play through" or "I sound the same, no matter what gear I plug into" statements are utterly redundant and useless, imo.

After having done a bunch of studio session work, I realize that no matter what my guitar rig's tone, the engineer can reshape it using LOTS of various techniques and equipment therefore admit that no matter how much mojo my fingers may possess, the gear AND how it's utilized, matters-- AND... depending on what I'm trying to do, the amount that it matters-- varies.

Playing well/execution- that is in the hands, but TONE-- I think is likely more on the gear side-- as any engineer will "prove" in ANY studio.

16. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

I think we all are mixing up "tone" and "sound" somewhat.

Give EVH, Steve Lukather and Yngwie a Peavey Bandit 112 and they will all sound entirely different, because their individual "tone" is very different.

Yet any of them will not sound 100% as themselves until they use their own rigs... :)

17. zachman

zachman Senior Member

In this example, perhaps the replacement of the word "Sound" with "Style" would eliminate some confusion for those who, imo, are intentionally being obtuse with their deliberate use of terms which are ambiguous at best.

I am under no delusion, that gear doesn't matter, and try to be as effective as possible, when using language-- to promote clarification-- not confusion.

18. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

Yeah true Zach, style works much better for what I meant. Hard to find the right words sometimes... :)

19. zachman

zachman Senior Member

;)

This is something that is TOTALLY understandable, especially considering that for some, English isn't their 1st language.

Keep Rockin

:aok

20. Rena Rune

Rena Rune Member

Technique is technique and tone is tone(what's meant by tone is Timbre). Technique can influence tone, but generally playing chords will tend to sound more or less the same. It's only in the world of guitar you can get this, as it's quite obvious your playing for example on a Keyboard is going to differ mostly due to the patch you have selected. With guitar amps where most of them sound similar to some degree, it leaves open ambiguity when one person does it "Better" than another.