Perfect Example That Tone Is In Amp, Not Hands.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Dave_C, Jul 22, 2010.

1. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

I hear you budda... I've just seen too many guys kill with crappy equipment... and guys with good stuff stink up the place (from a tonal perspective). Granted... tone is hard to isolate from a jillion other aspects of a performance... and I do take the quest seriously. But if I'm honest with myself... I have to do more than buy the tone... I have to learn to play better.

2. stuco

stuco Member

That was not enjoyable for me at all, tone aside. As far as the tone debate, it is both the player and the gear but if you suck it doesn't matter what kind of tone you have. There is a lot of great music with 'crap' guitar tones.

3. Miles

Miles Member

The beginning showed me more that tone was in some well used reverse delay.

Apart from that, this thread is pure wind. The player and the gear make the tones - not either/or.

SIMMA DOWN NOW!!

4. Dave

Dave Member

Arguing semantics on the internet... :bonk

5. DanJep

DanJep Member

I think this is more a matter of bad taste than gear. He could've made that l6 scream if it hadn't been for all that other modulation he was tossing on and removing.

6. El Caballo

El Caballo Retired bar hopping musician

This debate again???:rolleyes: Debating this is like debating intelligent design over the big bang. It's as fruitless as it is futile. I know for myself that I can get ahold of just about any piece of gear and get my tone (or close to it) out of it.

This is the bottem line

Tone is in the ear of the artist.
    Translated through his hands, and transmitted to the audience via his gear....... :bonk

What you hear has a listener is entirely your own. What you may think is "tone of the gods" will make others turn green and vomit..:barf

7. Unabender

Unabender Member

Maybe he got EVH and Yngwie fingers mixed up when he changed his hands in between the artists.

8. Unabender

Unabender Member

His playing changed a lot as well. Try listening earlier VH albums, and then something like Balance (my all time favorite, btw. Really great songs). I think he is kind of those players who adapts his song writing and playing to the gear he is using at times.

9. jimfog

jimfog Senior Member

Funny....I would say that this is a perfect example of exactly the OPPOSITE point from the OP.

That sounds GREAT and precisely like Oz Noy.....all on gear I wouldn't even consider gigging.

If he had covered up the "Line 6" logos, people would be asking what the awesome amp was that he was playing.....I guaran-damn-tee it.

More proof? We certainly have members here that post copious clips of tons of different amps......and after a while, you realize they all sound the same. You have to A/B them to notice any minor, insignificant differences.

10. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

I saw Oz at the Tater a few month back with a Spider Valve head and 4x12 and between the gazillion stomp boxes it sounded close enough to the 4 CDs of his I have.
    But the old tone is in the hands, tone is in the gear...someg and dance...who cares? I got friends on either side of that fence. Me...I sound the same through anything, but the response is why I spent money of stuff..

As for Stern...where have you seen him with rental gear? Aren't you on the East Coast? Every time I've seen him out here it's been the same set-up Pearce and a SS Yamaha combo or a JC120. That's what he digs, just because he doesn't sound like Carlton or Ford doesn't really matter much to any one but a few guitar geeks.

11. Ed DeGenaro

really? I was under the impression tone came from a combination of EQ, Compression, overdrive, and Attack, delay, sustain release envelope...

12. Ed DeGenaro

what he said...

13. cisspcism

cisspcism Member

AMEN!!!:JAM

14. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Powered by Coffee Gold Supporting Member

To me, "tone" and "timbre" are things that are created between a player and the instrument. The rest of the gear only serves to amplify and augment the tone and timbre that are already there. The final result, after you add EQ, effects and overdrive is what I consider the overall "sound". Semantics to be sure, but that's how it works for me.

15. rockon1

rockon1 Member

+1 Definately not for me.That clip was tedious for me to listen to as well. The tone was meh- washed out and it appeared as if he was laboring between the playing and tweaking the FX. Not saying I could come close to it but I wouldnt want to either. Bob

16. rob2001

rob2001 Member

Right. Now all we need is a good word to describe the result of both.

17. rob2001

rob2001 Member

I didn't read this before posting. Agree. I thought to use "sound" as the result of both but it seems to simple for such an eternal question!

18. slagg

slagg Member

THIS^^
    that was HORRIBLE!And this is considered good:hide2

19. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

Rock on. That's what I've been saying too bro'. If you play and really know what's going on, you can totally hear, digest and separate the playing from the gear.

EVH was crazy obsessed over gear. If it was all in the fingers, he should've quit hackin' up guitars and amps, and partied and banged more.

20. Dave_C

Dave_C Member

Glad to hear this cheered you up! Oz did a clinic at Oswego College a couple years ago and that's when I heard about him through a friend that attended and taught at the same clinic. Yep, his style is really unique! I'll definitely be checking out more of him!