Perfect pitch test

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by The Captain, May 6, 2008.

1. The Captain

The Captain Supporting Member

I thought I might start another thread about this, as it arose during another converstation.
    I found this a while ago. It's a university site, examining some aspects of perfect pitch, and giving results of their research so far.
    http://perfectpitch.ucsf.edu/study/

My browser is scrambling it for me today, but hopefully you will all be able to read it and maybe give some feedbak on how you went on the test.

2. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

took the test 30 tones 28 piano, I am sure I would do better if I took it again the tones were on for 5 seconds so I was punching in the tone I heard when a new tone would come up a few times, the article you posted said you start losing it as you get over 50 so I might be losing as I get more over 50, LOL. Might take it in a few years to see, I had no problems with the G# at all, they played it a lot in the test.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 27, 2009
  3. elgalad

elgalad Senior Member

:bow

I have a question for you though AR. I've heard that many people with perfect pitch can have quite a hard time hearing relative pitches, especially on the guitar, given that it's far from perfectly intonated. Has this been your experience?

I will take the tonight when I get home, and prove to you all that I have not got perfect pitch :D

I'm surprised at the number of people with perfect scores on both the piano and pure tone tests. I'm thinking those would represent people with true absolute pitch. That's just freaky.

4. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

A guitar is really hard to develop pitch on, I play at the fret which gets it better than playing between the fret and intonation is always an issue, I think the perfect pitch is really from playing piano when I was 6, that really sunk the pitches in.

however people that I know that have perfect pitch play piano as well, and if you watch and see how many great guitar players also play piano I think that is one of the factors. Piano is fixed pitched so you learn the pitches accurately, a guitar is all over the place.

5. Kappy

Kappy Member

That test almost reminded me of when I took the CCNA test b/c it was paid for but I hadn't really studied for it -- painful!

6. mike80

mike80 Member

Wow. That was excruciatingly painful.

Pure tone score
    Piano tone score

Your score indicates that you do not have absolute pitch.

I can't pick out the notes without a reference, but I can tell when a guitar is slightly out of tune and so forth. I consider myself to have a pretty good ear, but I can't pick out notes like that.

7. sabby

sabby Member

+100000

8. ?&!

?&! Member

I had a professor in college that had perfect pitch, and it scared the crap out of me. When I was taking my basic theory courses, they brought this guy in to demonstrate the difference between relative pitch and perfect pitch. You could play any note on a piano, and he would name it instantly. You could call out a note, he would sing it, and it would match the note on the piano perfectly. You could play chords, and he would identify each note. Then he would have two people come to the piano and hold down as many random notes as they could at one time, then he would identify every pitch from lowest to highest. He NEVER missed. It was so strange being around a guy that has a completely different comprehension of sound than 99.9% of the rest of the population.

I've heard that Julie Andrews, Paul Simon, Yngwie, Barbra Streisand, and Frank Sinatra all have perfect pitch. I saw some footage of Stravinsky hand-writing super complex scores for the music in his head (in real time!!!). Does anyone know of any other musicians who have this ability?

9. Kappy

Kappy Member

That's not an indicator of perfect pitch, but rather one of having good relative pitch. That's a skill (almost) anyone can learn with training. And that's not to say Igor didn't have PP, I think I read that he did, but I don't remember for sure.

10. The Peu

The Peu Member

my god that was horrible.
    Pure tone score
    Piano tone score
    Your score indicates that you do not have absolute pitch.

11. bbocaner

bbocaner Member

12. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

:bow You got and A+

Congratulations Barry, you have better perfect pitch than I do,

13. bbocaner

bbocaner Member

I've learned to adapt to things not being perfectly in tune. Perfectly in tune is different than equal temprament anyways -- and I'm really into early music which often plays in quarter comma mean tone temprament which often sounds out of tune to modern ears.

What I do have a lot of trouble with is transposing instruments -- using a capo or drop tuning for example is VERY difficult for me. I remember when I was in high school choir often the choral director would give us a starting note a half step or whole step above what was written on the page -- everyone else would be cluelessly singing along and I'd be sitting there trying to transpose the part into a new key.

Last Rush concert I went to they played 2112 down a step, I guess to put it in an easier vocal range. I hated it! I could hardly recognize the song.

14. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

Transposing music has always been a problem for me as well, I can play it in the correct key, which is the one in my head, but if they change that key, I hate, as I said I had a recording of ABB rambling man that I made from an In Concert show which was in E, and the album version is F, really love the song, but hate the CD version, back then we had records and turntables, my turn table had variable speed, so I could change the pitch easly, and would slow it down to listen to it. It was also good for changing Eb to E songs so I could play them on a standard tuned guitar. Songs that I listened to intitally both ways don't give me a problem, Hendrix's Little Wing, or All Along the Watch Tower I can play either way, but I heard it both ways when I was starting out with the song.

CDs don't change pitch normally so some songs are painful that I listened to on a record player.

15. fish78

fish78 Member

I was 8 and 9...don't have it...what impact does this have on learning to play.

16. DrSax

DrSax Member

that was brutal. I kept clicking randomly to hurry it up and finish. They need to create a new chart for me, "barely breathing" or something

17. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

None at all the guitar really does not fit a perfect pitch test, a piano or voice does, and your not burdened by the problem of transposing a song which those of us with perfect pitch are, so in many ways you can be a better guitar player than someone with perfect pitch. :AOK

18. mike80

mike80 Member

After reading that you have trouble transposing a song, that makes me glad I don't have perfect pitch. I have to transpose a lot of cover songs that we play just to get them into my vocal range.

19. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

That was big problem for me when I was playing in a cover band, transposing songs, a lot of what we did was in Eb and we would transpose it to E so we did not have to retune the guitars, fortunately for me I had a record player that would change pitch, so I could work up songs in the key that we were playing them in, worked really well on songs I had not heard yet. Songs that I already knew it was very hard.

20. nsbucky

nsbucky Member

wow talk about a boner killer:
    Pure tone score
    Piano tone score

i don't feel like im tone deaf, I can tell when something is out of tune with itself, but yeah, thats a brutal score.

i wonder if with some training I can get those numbers higher.