Perfection....to me anyway

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by shallbe, Dec 21, 2009.

1. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

My Suhr Classic!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I ordered this guitar early in 2009, and received it sometime in the summer. It was based upon a vintage refinished 60's Strat that "got away" in the early 80"s. I wanted at least it's equal, but with some custom features available today from builder like Suhr.

I have gigged with it for about six months now. During that time, I have tweaked the action (raising it slowly over time) and adjusted the pickup height after gigs to get the sound and action just right. Now the setup is perfect, and the sound on every part of the 5-way is inspiring. The guitar is truly a joy to play.

The smooth fretboard, the SS frets, the 1/4 sawn neck, the noiseless electronics, the supple trem, and the incredible sparkle finish. Man, does this thing look killer under lights! My search for the perfect S-type is over. This is one loud and clear guitar, with incredible dynamic range. The "no tone control" on the cluck positions is a must have, IMO. Never have the in-between positoins sounded so good. They have more bass and treble, and really pop out of my Matchless with more volume and cut.

The 56 Big V neck, the 7.5 to 9.5 radius and SS frets, combined with the finish on the back of the neck make this the best feeling neck of any guitar I have ever played. I have other Suhr guitars, and they are all great, but John and his crew just keep getting better at what they do.

I think another Suhr T-type is in my future in 2010.

2. suckamc

suckamc Member

Sick! And you got the Big V! That's what my Classic has. That's one amazing neck.

3. shallbe

Yes it is, and the 7.5 to 9.5 radius is killer as well. The SS Heavy frets are really great---not as tall as the Mediums or Jumbos, with a nice rounded top----and oh so smooth.

Look at the fretboard! Nearly devoid of any open pores. John has some great wood stock, and delivered just what I wanted. I'm real picky about rosewood boards---I want smooth, dark and no streaks, with a naturally/almost shiny appearance. Boards like that just get better over time.

4. Craig Walker

Craig Walker WHO DAT!! Gold Supporting Member

Dude, I got my 1st Suhr today. My 1st thought: wow, this thing is PERFECT.

Cool guitar....always dug those gold sparkle finishes.

5. shallbe

I saw your guitar! Great color and wood on yours. The blower switch option sounds really cool as well.

6. Craig Walker

Now just slap this on that gold sparkle ;) It'd be extra perfect :D

[​IMG]

7. shallbe

Well, being originally from Norco, Louisiana, I am a big Saints fan. I often gig with my old Saints ballcap.

8. Ed Alvarado

Ed Alvarado Member

Congrats! That's a beautiful axe Bro!

9. Craig Walker

I'm just kiddin of course.

Killer axe. :cool:

10. Stratobuc

Stratobuc Member

That's a helluva guitar! Congratulations.

11. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

I LOVE that color. Really dig the big flakes. Gives the guitar authority, IMO.

I have a Suhr Classic coming in.
    I'm gonna order another next year, in a custom color.

12. jiml

jiml Supporting Member

I remember when you got that and posted pix..love the sparklies!

13. shallbe

I just wanted to give an update on the guitar after the honeymoon period. It really has exceeded my initial gushings about it. At first, I thought the bridge pickup mught be a bit of a weak link among the other sounds, but once I raised the action and tweaked all pickup heights over time, now the bridge sounds amazing.

The acoustic sound of the guitar really improved once I found the sweet spot on the action. It is a very clear guitar---I keep the tones on about 7 usually, but is really loud and dynamic. It's great to have an S-type that really pushes an amp when you hit it hard without sounding overwound or noisey.

14. shallbe

Thanks! It is a dead match for the old sparkle refin I was wanting to mimic. It is not a traditional gold, or orange. It is somewhere in between.

John had about 50 sparkle colors I could choose from. They are not on his web color chart, but he can provide them to you if you ask. The cost is the same as any metallic finish, and you get to pick the color and the flake size. Very, very cool.