Perfectly engineered songs...

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by smrybacki, Feb 5, 2015.

1. Social Exodus

Social Exodus Lone Wolf

I still remember bring my new "Boston" album home in late 1976 and reading these liner notes while listening to "More Than a Feeling" and thinking to myself "This is the most perfectly engineered pop-rock song ever recorded" and perhaps (considering it was 1976 and all) it still is:

2. 8raw

8raw Member

I was in college at that time. I remember the big discussion was whether that level of production ruined the gutsy feeling of the music around at the time. Can you imagine the Allman Brothers, the Dead, or Zappa with that super-clean sound? The songs on the album are good ones though.

3. woof*

woof* Member

A/C D/C
    Back in Black

4. JPF

JPF Member

Steely Dan - Aja

5. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

def leppard hysteria album

6. Dave Klausner

Dave Klausner Member

Eddie Kramer says he got two demos in the mail one day, from bands asking him to mix their records. One was the first Boston record, and the other was Kiss Alive. He packed his bags and headed out to mix the Kiss record (which he knew would be months of work) and dashed off a quick note to Tom Scholz telling him it was perfect as is and to just put it out.

7. custom53

custom53 Member

I'm not a huge fan of Megadeath, but to me the entire "Symphony of Destruction" album I thought was perfection in the production.

8. Steve Hotra

Steve Hotra Silver Supporting Member

I would agree with the OP.
    Consider the era... no auto tune, no Pro Tools.
    Amazing mix / blend of instruments and vocals.

I would submit the following albums for consideration:
    CSN's first album and CSNY Deja Vu. Especially the vocal mixes..

9. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

For me, "Who's Next" captures an amazing sound AND the incredible feel of one of the world's greatest bands.

Aja is up there, too.

And REM has one or two that really do it for me.

But some of my very favorite recordings aren't perfectly engineered.

And some of the very best sounding recordings are jazz. Miles Davis and Gil Evans anyone?

10. aman74

aman74 Supporting Member

Yes. This will open up a big discussion of what "perfectly engineered" means. Sometimes less than ideal is just right for the material, but then what does less than ideal even mean?

I love all sorts of production styles, sometimes "bad" production is even fitting. Black Metal bands and others use this as part of the aesthetic. Then there's lo-fi, etc...

I suppose the OP has something more in line with Boston in mind, so in that vein I'll mention Def Leppard's Hysteria. Not normally my cup of tea in music or production, but it works here for sure.

Faith No More's King for a Day Fool for a Lifetime is a "reference" recording for me.

Kyuss's Sky Valley is astounding in a completely different direction.

I think we'd have a lot more exemplary examples post mid-90's if things didn't start getting so sanitized and more importantly brickwalled. The level of talent and equipment in the field has never been higher, but quality is going down. Modern production is bumming me out.

Still one of my favorites...the opening of that album is one of the most sonically beautiful things in my collection. The album sounds "black"!

I also love the live Neil Young weld double-disc from the 90's....this one seems to get overlooked a lot and it's the epitome of what I love about Neil, even though I love much of his work, heavy or not.

11. suckamc

suckamc Member

This album. Stunning restraint in the instrumentation, amazing songs and brilliant production make it the poppiest album in my top 20 albums list.

12. stratovarius

stratovarius Supporting Member

More Than a Feeling was the first thing that came to my mind before I even opened the thread.

13. Ubersooner

Ubersooner Member

14. Route234

Route234 Member

Zappas later work had that "super clean sound" and I really enjoy it. I do agree with your overall premise though....

15. neville5000

neville5000 Supporting Member

"Sarah Smile" - Hall and Oates
    "Dirty Work" - Steely Dan
    "Goodnight Elizabeth" - Counting Crows, I love the production on this entire record.
    There are many records that I think are production masterpieces from top to bottom, but this is a song thread so I'll spare everyone my opinions on full LPs.

16. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

17. pdodge77

pdodge77 Supporting Member

I'm too young to have experienced Boston when it was released (I was born the year it came out). The album from "my era" that had a similar effect on me and feels equally polished and precise is Siamese Dream by Smashing Pumpkins.

These are my other nominations:

Black Crowes - Southern Harmony and Musical Companion
    Matthew Sweet - 100% Fun
    RHCP - Blood Sugar Sex Magic (I've lost tolerance for many of the songs, but it still sounds close to perfect. Especially the drums.)
    Death Cab for Cutie - Transatlanticism
    Modest Mouse - The Moon and Antarctica
    Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral (I don't love a lot of the songs, but they all sound amazing)

Add to this list pretty much anything engineered by Brian Deck or Phil Ek

18. VicAjax

VicAjax Male Supermodel

19. ras1500

ras1500 Member

While I'm not a huge Michael Jackson fan, the Thriller album (in vinyl) sounded very good through my stereo at the time.

20. M138

M138 100% Fenriz Approved

Any song by The Alan Parsons Project.