• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Perferred 12AY7 preamp tube?

Figaro

Silver Supporting Member
My Samamp 23 Verb uses 3 12AY7 preamp tubes and came with Electro-Harmonix. How does the EH 12AY7's sound compare to other current production or NOS 12AY7s? Thanks!

Last edited:

Blue Strat

It follows the pattern of virtually all of the non 12AX7, 9 pin preamp tubes from new manufacturers. They pretty much suck.

riffmeister

I tried a few in a TopHat Super Deluxe. My favorite was a GE 6072 from Mike at KCA. Beautifully balanced with plenty of detail.

Blue Strat

^^ That's a nice one. But if budget doesn't permit, ALL of the US made 12AY7s are great.

Last edited:

jlagrassa

Silver Supporting Member
I actually like the 12AY7EH, havent really tried many others but I did have an old GE 6072 until I dropped it. :facepalm it went from NOS to POS :D

Timbre Wolf

Hyperspatial Gravity Surfer
Platinum Supporting Member
I prefer Ken-Rad black box-plate 12AY7, due to superior clarity and dynamic character. They're very old - from late '40s production.

- Thom

DaveKS

I want to hear more, Dave. What qualities do you ascribe to the Sylvania that make it your fave?

- Thom
Rounder than the GE (not as strident), less compressed/scooped sounding than RCA, very soulful sounding. Pushed into OD it's got this growly presence. Hard blues crunch-light OD tones are it's bread and butter for me.

That same character is why one has taken up permanent residence in my Cream Machines power tube section (beating out a Philips Miniwatt 12au7), it takes a bit of the brittleness off that knob but at same times gives it more usable OD on tap being its a higher gain tube.

Timbre Wolf

Hyperspatial Gravity Surfer
Platinum Supporting Member
Rounder than the GE (not as strident), less compressed/scooped sounding than RCA, very soulful sounding. Pushed into OD it's got this growly presence. Hard blues crunch-light OD tones are it's bread and butter for me.

That same character is why one has taken up permanent residence in my Cream Machines power tube section (beating out a Philips Miniwatt 12au7), it takes a bit of the brittleness off that knob but at same times gives it more usable OD on tap being its a higher gain tube.
Thanks! :beer

It is great to know more detail on your impression of these. The GE are strident, I agree.

Now I have to go check out my tube inventory, and see if I have any Sylvania 6072, and compare 'em to my Ken-Rad 12AY7 in V1 of my Richter 5E7 Bandmaster head.

- Thom

Trending Topics

Top Bottom