1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Permanant Talkback

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Prymo, Jul 22, 2005.

1. Prymo

Prymo Guest

Hey everyone!
    i need some way to hook up a permanant talkback system with my DAW. I have a FW-1884 and would like to have a talkback mic without using one of the channels. because i do not want to harm any of the equipment.

I read some where that there is a monitor system or something that has a talkback plugin in it, but ofcourse i can't remember what it was so if anyone can help me that would be Great.
    thanks!

2. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

3. Prymo

Prymo Guest

something like that, something a little less expensive would be better

4. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

Maybe the Samson C Control? I'm sure Behringer is working on a copy of the Mackie.

Bryan

5. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

The Central Station has a TB section too.

6. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

>> I have a F2-1884 and would like to have a talkback mic

What is that?

>> without using one of the channels. because i do not want to harm any of the equipment.

What do you mean?

7. TAVD

I think he means the tascam fw-1884.

I don't see too many input options with the fw-1884. You'll either need to use one of the mic inputs or buy some more hardware. This one might work for you too.
    http://www.spl-usa.com/mtc/mtc_E.html

8. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

>>What is that?<<

On traditional consoles, there is often a microphone built into the console surface for communicating with the talent in the recording room. This is a Talkback mic.

You press the button, and the mic turns on; its signal is bussed to an aux or a dedicated studio headphone mix buss. The other signals are muted by pressing the button so the talent can hear you. It usually also mutes the monitors in the control room, so there isn't feedback. The one on my console is dedicated to its own buss marked "studio" that can be connected to a headphone amp, and/or an amp and speakers in the room.

The talent talks back to you via whatever mic they're singing or playing into, though I have seen studios with a dedicated mic somewhere in the room for this purpose, when, say, a guitar amp is being close miked and wouldn't pick up the talent's voice.

9. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

That's not the "that" I meant... but DG answered the question.

I know a way to make an auto-muting talkback rig in Digi 001 or 002, but it requires using an aux for a mic input, one for the output, and a buss. What I still don't understand is why using a channel is a problem.

10. TAVD

Most headphone amp/ distribution systems offer a second "cue" input which could be used as a TB with the addition of a mic & preamp.

11. Prymo

Prymo Guest

Hey thanks for the replys, it was the samson c control that i was looking for. and i can't use one of the channels while my drummer is recording because he is utalizing all the inputs.

12. Gaz

Gaz Member

Pesky Drummers are always doin' that!:D