Perplexed over the Vintage 30 hate.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Hefalump, May 4, 2016.

1. Hefalump

Hefalump Member

I have been searching info on speakers heavily for a while now. And, it seems that the Vintage 30 gets a lot of hate.

Many pros use them, and there is a lot of praise for them as well.

I played a Orange 2x12 last evening for a bit, and I was quite happy with the sound the V30s produced: so much so, that I ordered a vertical 2x12 with V30's.

When "I" look at the response graphs of the V30 compared to the holy grail Greenbacks: to MY eyes, the graphs are very, very similar.

What is the deal?

2. jpage

jpage Member

Anything accessible, affordable and/or popular will not be embraced by TGP.

3. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

I love V30's. I always go back to them. They take a while to break in, and I think they are sensitive to certain user-error related issues. But I think they are perfect for guitar, and can be the smoothest sounding speaker in the right application. V30's sound pretty different to me than Greenbacks: more modern and punchier particularly in the bass because of the H magnet. In reading frequency response graphs for speakers, I've found it helps more to look at the differences than similarities: notable dips in the midrange particularly between 1-2k hertz, where the upper midrange tapers (3-5khz), how much treble in the 10+khz range, where the bass starts (100hz) and ends its taper... Conversely, when I look at similarities, it makes most speakers look similar on paper. YMMV. I'm also not certain how accurate those graphs are.

4. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

Some of the best cabinets I've played through have V30's. I never realized they sounded like sh*t until I joined TGP. ;)

Tonekat, Anacharsis, Caprica and 34 others like this.
  5. Silent Sound

Silent Sound Member

This site is great for technical information, but absolutely useless for gathering anything that resembles a useful opinion. The Dunning-Kruger effect is in high gear on TGP.

6. lang.murphy

lang.murphy Member

I had an Orange cb 2x12 that I used with a number of amps including a '73 1959. I thought it sounded great and only sold it to fund a Marshall 1960TV. They've all moved on... Just got an Orange PPC112 t'other day for my recently acquired Tiny Terror Hard Wired and it sounds freakin' awesome with that V30 in it.

I like other speakers too... But I do like the V30.

Hefalump likes this.
  7. Kenny Blue

Kenny Blue Silver Supporting Member

Weird.... I have been a TGP member for several years and am on here quite a bit but really have not been aware for particular bias against the Vintage 30 speakers. I will say that I have had a couple of them and tried them with several of my amps and I finally decided that I really do not care for them.

I don't hate them I just prefer Scumbacks myself.

8. stratotastic

stratotastic Supporting Member

Probably because most people on TGP play in their basements. V30s excel at cutting through a band mix, which is irrelevant to most people here. It's the same reason a lot of people complain about the "mid hump" on tube screamers. Things that sound great in a band mix don't often sound that great when you're playing so quietly you can hear the sound of the strings plinking louder than the volume coming out of the amp.

9. shanesiegle

shanesiegle Supporting Member

Great speakers, I agree I haven't noticed any large amount of hate here for them.

10. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    I have a Hiwatt 4x12 with 2 Vin 30s and 2 G12H30s .... best tone ever!!!

11. Hefalump

Hefalump Member

Those Orange cabs are great!!!!

12. lowpaygigs

lowpaygigs Member

This should be a sticky!

Frankee, Telejester, burns and 2 others like this.
  13. lowpaygigs

lowpaygigs Member

V30 works great but can be too damn spiky when paired with some amps. It depends on the combination. They are a tool, and like anything, find the right tool for the job.

Last edited: May 4, 2016
    Tone_Terrific, deathrider817 and QRSS like this.
  14. wildschwein

wildschwein Member

Yep. Spot on!

15. kimock

kimock Member

Part of the deal is there are better speakers for certain applications.
    I have my own little niche worked out, I found stuff that worked for me decades ago and stuck with it.
    Along the way I've spent quality time doing speaker evaluations, A/B listening, field test, try to blow **** up, for Boogie and Two Rock and a bunch of early development with Tone Tubby.

So lots of different brands, OEM stuff specific to manufacturer, clean sheet of paper/start from scratch, 1,000 various recones and parts shuffling experiments, and the stock out of the box V30's were never a favorite.

Still, a lot of folks use them, some of my favorite players too, and they do get recommended as replacement speakers for amps I'm very familiar with so I felt compelled to get one myself as kind of an "idiot benchmark".
    So I'd know what guys were hearing and working with, much as I disagreed with the application.

Celestion's in general aren't great right out of the box, I probably play tested 30 a day at Boogie for years, and fresh, they pretty much just yell at you, not the most pleasant sound.
    My V30 wasn't any different but I played it and beat the crap out of it, got used to it, and now 10 years later, it sounds great.

So I would have been one of those guys talking down the V30 for specific stuff in the past, but you know what?
    That's a pretty good speaker once you get some hours on it.
    I think they're fine and I didn't always feel that way.

16. JDutch

JDutch Member

I dislike them for high gain applications; I prefer a smoother speaker, with a less harsh high end. I think they kill for clean tones when paired with certain amps.

17. lang.murphy

lang.murphy Member

I play in my loft space... V30's sound great at low volume to these ears. I have purchased used, so I haven't had to break them in.

SteveHa and ShazamLazam like this.
  18. seajay

seajay Member

Interesting...I'm perplexed over the Vintage 30 love.

It must have something to do with different people having different tastes or something.

19. Geetarman74

Geetarman74 Member

I always have a V30-loaded cab in the stable. Nothing wrong with that speaker in the right scenario. Going back a few years, it seemed EVERYONE was releasing their cabs with V30's.

That said, breaking the speaker in is important. For instance - I have had a Dr Z 1x12 with a V30 in it for a LONG time. When I first purchased the cab, I also purchased a certain amplifier head that was the rage at the time. I thought it sounded terrible through that cab, so I sold the head (must be the amp, right??). Years later I had an opportunity to try the same head through that same cab and it sounded incredible. Only difference - many, many hours of playing on that speaker.

QRSS and lang.murphy like this.
  20. lang.murphy

lang.murphy Member

Come to think of it, they're the only cabs I've had with V30's. And they are great cabs, beyond doubt.