Personal "gain pedal" shootout in my studio live room

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by teleache, Dec 27, 2009.

1. teleache

teleache Member

Ok Here we go, Amps used:

Tweed princton
    Blackface 66' deluxe reverb
    Dr Z route 66
    Dr Z Z-28

Pedals:

Blackstone appliances mosfet overdrive
    Fulldrive 2 mosfet
    Big LLoyde Overdose
    Addrock ol' yeller
    Vintage rat reissue 94'

Guitars:

Prs pre lawsuit single cut
    Prs dgt
    79' schecter strat duncan custom maple neck alder body
    Kit tele with ash, rosewood neck 1/4 lb duncan pickup in bridge

I just got the fulldrive and i do like the tone and mike's fat mid switch.

I've had the addrock for years and like the clear slightly compressed grind. Better with humbuckers

The blackstone came in third. Rightous fat grind and fat low mids. The only thing we agreed was not a good thing about the blackstone is the eq' section is only accessed through the back and 4 screws removed other then that it's a tied 2nd with the fulldrive mosfet

The winner is the discrete wired JFET Big LLoyds Overdose.

Because out of all of them, it had the most db boost. Fattest low end of all ! period !

All the others had a limited "in the box eq" sound. Not to say that's bad. No 4x12's were used.

The fulldrive 2 mosfet came in second. Vintage and fm mode and almost as fat as the overdose. But still too compressed. But I like it more than my buddie Tim.

The rat is 5th It was ok just too flat eq 308 chip was good and we agreed that 4x12 is what it needed to fatten it up Very subjective to dis this classic so many records were made with !

The addrock is 4th is a jfet grind chip with a tl072cn chip. Better than the rat because the guy who eq' it made a nice clear gain reminds me of Dean Deleo's tone with his clear grindy full chords. Very intersting pedal because it's very smooth symectrical grind, just not the output of the overdose. I hear the new ones address that.

I think it's not fair to the fulltone because we were not running it at 18 volts just 9 volts like the overdose so all voltages relative at 9volts i hoping.

Take note: This is my own personal opinions along with my guitar geek friend Tim. All gain pedals were dimed on volume and then adding gain to obtain biggest output. But that i think will not be reflected to the live stage sounds.

So let's get a disscussion started about these gain pedals ?

What i have learned is that chips although are nice, their short commings can be exployed by a descrete wired pedal like the big lloyed overdose as far as Full bandwith grind.

Doing full chords and classic rock riff through the route 66 nailed our choice.

This post is not out to dis other pedals. Sorry we didn't have a tim, timmy or Klon.

What i would like to start is a open forum of what you like ? descrete wired Jfets, Mosfets or chips ?

Last edited: Dec 27, 2009
  2. teleache

teleache Member

3. teleache

teleache Member

4. teleache

teleache Member

Inside of 2x12 custom sano cabinet. Two reconed vintage 25's one 444 55hts cone and other 1777 75 hts cone

[​IMG]

5. TRANSAM

TRANSAM Member

Need I say it again......At the end of the day Big LLoyde was top dog.....This may be due to discrete wiring of J-Fets and not the use of ICs.....FullDrive mosfet was cool, much better than original models and we all love the vintage Rat but like I said you can hear the difference that the ICs make....Ole Yeller was the nicest of the IC pedal with the smoothest grind and nice compression.....Ya gotta check one of these out, me and Teleache are sold.....

6. spentron

spentron Member

Indeed, on that last sentence.

I don't get it. Sounds like you chose the pedal hardest to adjust the volume precisely on, unless all the others aren't loud enough. Add: I'm being dense there, of course you might want to boost, but other designers might prefer to have easy control in a clean amp situation (though especially if it would require more circuitry to make it louder).

Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  7. FLYING V 83

FLYING V 83 Pedal Trading Guru Silver Supporting Member

I've had all those pedals except that Llyods.
    I don't have any of your guitars or amps.

I like what works in my rig, and don't really care what's under the hood on my pedals, as long as they give me the sounds I want with my setup.

Also, I've found a blend of volume & gain can be louder than just maxing volume & adding gain. YMMV.

Cool contest though...

8. teleache

teleache Member

It's not the loudest pedal, Yes us guitar player's who favor pedals instead of line 6 digital crap do like a boost when soloing or crunchy sounds. Most of us like using volume knob on guitar to control dynamic range also. You as a pedal builder should know that. Can i just say to people that the big lloyde overdose has great grinds tones that in the range of audio far exceeds all the pedal i've heard with ic chips. Meaning more high end grind and more low end grind. I'm sold on discrete wired gain pedals now.

9. spentron

spentron Member

^^-- cool, but it is not clear to me if you're using amp distortion. A Screamer may not be enough to overdrive anything in its path, but these other pedals may. Testing with amp distortion is valid, but very different from testing with clean amp only. You don't have to use Line 6 to favor clean amp setup, nor avoid Line 6 to use an OD into the amp's distortion, although in that case you'd want to crank the amp gain instead of expecting it to handle a boost.

Technically, getting huge output is not difficult, if that's your priority, although a design that distorts its amplifying devices directly tends to start with too much level and chop it down a bit. A design that tries to keep its amplifying devices clean (Screamer) or redistorts the signal with diodes (Rat, Crunch Box) doesn't.

The problem with ICs is not the ICs themselves -- mostly -- but ICs tend to be associated with a different type of design. Some exceptions: The Blues Driver is mostly discrete, but otherwise a Screamer type design. Big Muffs also create most of their distortion from diodes despite using discrete transistors, and differ mainly in a reversal of voicings. 2 IC pedals I know of that distort the amplifiers themselves, only, are the Hotcake (retro op amp) and SCOD (CMOS, basically transistor pairs).

10. teleache

teleache Member

I'm sorry i wasn't clear to you spencer, I stated four types of amps, I deluxe reverb and dr z-28 for 6v6 clean tones, and tweed princeton and dr z route 66 for dirty tones, Tele to hot prs's what more do you wany clearified ? Do i need a roland jazz chorus too ?:confused:

11. big jilm

big jilm Supporting Member

Damn. Jumpy at all?

12. BrianWampler

BrianWampler Member

You have me scratching my head a bit... I'd have to respectfully disagree with ya here - I don't see how you are saying the blues driver is a tube screamer type design.... topology is totally different, tonestacks are different, eq is different, clipping is different, I'm just not following ya.
    :confused:

13. bettset

bettset Member

the drives i like are the tim, lovepedal kanji 9, music electronix ust drive, and the fulltone ocd v2. mi audio has good stuff too. the new catalyst has flexibility to do some drive, but i use it more towards a fuzz. had the fulltone mosfet--good pedal, just not for me :munch

14. spentron

spentron Member

You're correct. Don't know how I came up with that whenever it was I looked at it previous to 5 min. ago. However its clipping amplifiers, though discrete, are op-amp-like in configuration... including FETs, although primarily the junction transistors distort instead.

I just have problems with technical buzzwords thrown around. If confronted, some would say it's not logic-based, it's just what they hear, but as soon as you talk about something you haven't heard, it IS a form of logic, and therefore without complete understanding could be wrong.

15. teleache

teleache Member

Three weeks ago, we did try the I think Tim said was an anologman modded ? Boss blues driver along side the overdose and the overdose smoked it in complexity highs and lows along with fat mids too ! For some it think the overdose my be too aggressive for the compression loving blues players, The blues driver did have nice compressed sound like my aramat 808 copy green machine. That sound's great for blues though blackfaced amps !

16. BrianWampler

BrianWampler Member

understood, I'm with ya now. :)

17. BrianWampler

BrianWampler Member

Justin (biglloyde) works as a wampler pedal employee now, but we've discussed alot of the older biglloyde circuits. With that said, you may be able to contact justin@wamplerpedals.com and see if he has any more left, I'm not sure if he does or not. Circuitwise, it's mu-amp based, sort of like a bsiab with totally different eq. I have one myself that I use from time to time and I love it as well. :)

bw

18. Chonny

Chonny Senior Member

If you had a Dirty Little Secret you would have unplugged everything else and just played on it for two hours. Im not joking.