Pete Biltoft VVG Humbucker-sized Charlie Christian Pup

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by daddyo, Jun 6, 2008.

1. daddyo

daddyo Guest

I just installed the VVG HCC in the neck of my spruce topped chambered ash Telething. From the time I ordered it to the time it arrived in Canada was 6 days! That's freakish fast considering I don't believe he had it in stock. I also ordered a regulat humbucker.

The pickup is really well made and Pete shipped it with AlNi 2 magnets installed and Alnico 3 magnets as spares as part of deal. Instead of the regular sheetmetal legs with threaded holes, Pete's pups have a brass threaded insert and matching threaded screws that are a bit heavier than normal.

The pickup sounds instantly like an old jazz guitar - dark and woody through a DRRI set on 5. The pup is very powerful although it measures out at only 5.6K ohms. I've got it adjusted pretty much flush with the body. It delivers woody jazz and blues tones easily overdriving the amp when you dig in. I'm using 250K pots and -022mF caps so I'm going to experiment with 500K pots and .047mF caps to experiment a bit.

I'll be putting the humbucker in the bridge of my Flying V onc some new pots show up.

I'm very happy with VVG.
    [​IMG]

2. daddyo

daddyo Guest

Not one person is interested in a cool CC style pick up that fits in a HB route and costs $75?

3. daddyo

daddyo Guest

Last attempt.

4. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Gold Supporting Member

FWIW, I think it looks awesome :)

5. ungarn

ungarn Member

Pete's p'ups and service are top notch...his P90's are the best I have heard...

6. SlideGuy123

SlideGuy123 Member

I've got a VVG Strat size balde pickup in my lap steel. Sounds really sweet. I wonder if a 500K volume pot would add anything...

7. dhdfoster

dhdfoster Silver Supporting Member

I think he's the only pup winder out there that really will consider making you a completely custom pickup. I know of someone that had him make a P90 that fit in a Guild mini-humbucker route. Now, that's a custom job. I've been toying with the idea of asking him wind some P90s that are voiced like a Telecaster. The Duncan custom shop charges huge bucks to do real custom stuff.

8. ptdesign

ptdesign Handmade sonic art

+1 on Pete. My favorite Dog ear p-90. My lead is 9k and will snap like my tele with the vol rolled down. (no cap on pot) One of the best purchasing experiences I've had. Totally encased in epoxy, delivered in a week 65.00 (4 years ago). He even added his hand made Dog ear spacers (4) for free!

9. bek

bek Member

I'm not interested in that kind of pickup, myself, but if anyone is still unconvinced about Pete, I just had a real similar experience. He made me a humbucker to go along with a pair of low-output single-coils; it was done in a week, I just put it in, and it's great. Came with a slug of documentation, too. As good as anyone, I guess (not having heard everyone!), quick and extremely reasonable.

10. never-enough

never-enough Member

pete is awesome!
    i stsarted out by putting a pair of humbucker sized p90s into a les paul.
    they sounded so good and his customer service was excellent, i ended up ordering another set to put in my sg. i just put a set of humbuckers (coil tapping) in my explorer and am loving them as well. great products, i'm suprised he is doing such high quality work at such reasonable prices.

11. daddyo

daddyo Guest

I switched the pots to 500K and the high end became much more open and airy but still full when pushed. I quick twist of the tone knob and it's back to a full jazz sound. I'm very pleased with this mod.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2008
  12. daddyo

daddyo Guest

OK. I hadn't been playing much due to an injured finger but I spent an hour on the guitar last night and I'm getting some wierd wolf tones that are like sour harmonics, almost like the ringing you get when a mic is about to feedback. It is happens with either pickcup and with both my amps. Could this be the 500K pots? Never happened with the 250K pots.