1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Pete Cage

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by dwes, Mar 6, 2006.

1. dwes

dwes Member

Hi folks,

At the advice of GP members, I took a Fargen amp that was damaged in shipping to Pete this Saturday. Thank you for the recommendation. Pete is a super person and very accommodating. He also seems to be extrememly meticulous - he showd me a scrap book with some of his wares and repairs. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to play through one of his amps as they'd all been shipped. There were quite a few amps in for repairs on the bench.

Pete completed the work same day - now that's refreshing!!! He went over EVERYTHING. I live about 1 1/2 hours from him; so, it will be back in my possession next weekend. I'll post part 2 of this fun amp-related experience when I plug the Fargen in...

Dave

2. Frank B

Frank B Supporting Member

Pete Cage is a great gentleman to do business with. My Corsa rocks.

Glad to hear that he was able to help you with your amp- shipping problems stink.

3. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

I enjoy visiting Pete even for bummer amp issues because he's such a fine person. And as a tech, he's the best. My next visit will be on the 17th to lower a cap value on my Traynor YGM-3.

4. Bajan

Bajan Member

So, what Fargen did you get? I just got a Blackbird 40 and it is amazing.

Shane

5. ricoh

ricoh Member

I worked a trade with Pete last year......................seamless transaction......very smooth!!!!!!

Rico

6. Brick

Brick Member

You did the right thing Dave. :AOK

Pete is a great guy and a great tech! He gave my Ampeg V2 the once over, emailed me along the way with updates and went above and beyond the standard health check by restoring the broken rear-panel AC jack.

I highly recommend him to everyone.

7. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

I have no idea about Pete repair sevice but I do know he makes a wicked good amp.

8. TDJMB

TDJMB Gold Supporting Member

I just had Pete look at my Alessandro English because it seemed to be getting noisier & any cable plugged into is microphonic. He cleaned the scratchy volume control but was unable to do anything about the microphonics. The amp is a bit quieter but, since he felt he hadn't solved the problem, he didn't charge me anything!!! He also tested some tubes gratis. I heartily recommend his repair services and will be going back at some point to check out his Corsa. Plus, he has a very nice Tyler strat.

9. dbeeman

dbeeman Gold Supporting Member

I have one of Pete's 18/00 amps - the precursor to the Corsa.

The purity of tone and chime is just about unbeatable.

Overdrive is gradual. Great edge of breakup tones. Can get nasty with a boost pedal in front.

and Pete is a great guy to deal with.

10. tubehead

tubehead Member

Does anybody have some clips of this amp to post?

11. philtone

philtone Member

Pete Cage is a fabulous guy to deal with. He is my tech of choice. Pete can voice an amp to taste. He is skilled, thoughtful, insightful and honest. What more could one ask for? Plus he's just a darned nice guy!

I have a much treasured and gently modded 65 Princeton Reverb that Pete has helped me keep in top shape. Its the amp I use for voicing in the shop and playing small gigs. It sounds fabulous and has been totally reliable since Pete has gone through it. I count on Pete for amp advice and work.

12. tubehead

tubehead Member

Who has audio clips? I'm feversih!

13. blrogers

blrogers Member

im getting my Big Butte this week and im totally stoked! 4 6v6 goodness Cage style!

love my corsa. i told my drummer if i ever mention selling it he has permision to punch me in the face.

tubehead-

shoot me your email and i can get you some tracks we just recorded. give me a couple of days though. if you wait till next week i might be able to do some ruff clips of the butte.

Brian

14. Jon Silberman

Hey, that one's not on Pete's website - what's the deal?!

15. littlejohn

littlejohn Member

Caught Pete up at the local joint a ways back playing somes blues on a Goldtop, not a bad guitar player either.

JM

16. blrogers

blrogers Member

Jon-

hey I owe that one to you! I saw that little combo that he made you so i emailed him to see if he would build me a tweed bassman-like amp....

well low and behold he had just finished the prototype for the big butte.
    4 6v6 37/17 watts. half power takes out two tubes like the corsa. bright switch, vol. treb. bass. standby, power. extra bonus that it comes in purple!
    in the bandmaster/bassman zone tone wise. plus it's just a head so i dont have to lug around a combo.

he sent me this today:

"I was fortunate to have Mark Williams in the shop on Friday. Mark is an amazing guitarist and producer, and he helped me to develop and voice the 18/00 Series amps that evolved into the Corsa. I initially developed the Big Butte as a custom amp for Mark as I got to know his style and hands. It was a one-off at the time, called the "Mark One." He played through your amp and not only did he approve of the final voicing, he wants me to upgrade his amp to your specs. I'd call that an endorsement! "

ill post some pics when i get her on wed or thurs.

+1000 on Pete being a fantastic person. been more than helpfull.

B

17. Jon Silberman

Definitely post those pics when the amp arrives! :dude

18. tubehead

tubehead Member

19. Jon Silberman

Better yet, hold an open house and invite us all! :D

20. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member