Pete Cornish 6 Months of Darkness?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by g.griffith, Nov 9, 2005.

1. g.griffith

g.griffith Member

Just for conversation... Perhaps I'm a bit late on the news, but I just saw that Pete Cornish has suspended orders for his Stand Alone units to catch up on a lot of Stage System orders. Add to that his usual 3 month wait time, his units are now 9 months away best case scenario? Crikey! I just saw a G-2 go for $700.00 and a P-2 for $630.00 on eBay. What are the prices going to be like in 3, 4 or 6 months?!

What pedal maker can fill this 9 month gap? Will we see Cornish clones? I dunno... I've owned the SS-2 (didn't care for it) and still own a P-2. I love the P-2, though it get extremely noisy at high gain settings when you aren't playing. I'd still like to try a G-2, but that doesn't look like an option for about a year now... To the Cornish fans, what would be a comparable unit?

2. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Member

the BJF pink purple fuzz is pretty close to the g-2. i have an old clip comparing the two up at:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=341629

it's titled "Cornish G-2 v. BJF PPF"

the ss-2 is similar to some other low-gain overdrives. maybe the BJF honey bee would be the most comparable? i'd say the tim is too transparent, but other possible comparisons would be the KOT & mosferatu.

and the p-2 is a big-muff type circuit, so you might try some other boutique versions of that pedal for comparison.

i haven't found anything similar to the NG-2 - it's in a world of its own, and i think it's cornish's sleeper hit.

... oh, and i wish i had heard of the 6-9 month delay earlier . i just sold a p-2 and ss-2 for probably WAY below market value. oh well, at least someone else is having fun with them. :)

3. 57special

57special Silver Supporting Member

Just picked up an NG-2. Whoah! Don't know if i'll keep it, as i don't usually go for fuzzes, but this thing is fun!

4. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

www.musictoyz.com is apparently getting some Pete Cornish stuff in sometime this month or next according to their site, so you might want to look for a G-2 there when they have PC stuff in stock.

-TJK

5. davebc

davebc Member

I bought my SS-2 at Maverick Music, no wait. He always seems to have a small stash of Petes stuff in inventory.

6. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Gold Supporting Member

right I think the used prices were falling pretty sharply , so there may have been a 'glut' of sorts , a reduction of supply is the best move when that happens.......;)

7. JustCause

JustCause Member

Hi all,

I just wanted to point out that Pete has stopped taking DIRECT orders. All dealers are still able to place orders, however with a bit longer delivery time than usual. US dealers are getting a new batch of pedals within a month from now.

Best regards,

Jorge

8. lv

lv Supporting Member

Seems like you are insinuating Pete is artificially limiting supply.

That is not true.

9. Don Rusk

Nope - I made true statements..... used Cornish prices fell signifigantly......

and supply reduction is one correct business move when that happens............

nothing insinuated - I dont know if Pete tracks, knows or even cares about that....... tho you insinuate that you know ;)

10. lv

lv Supporting Member

ok, so in your second statement with the wink you are just talking about business strategy? why on this thread?

I guess I don't understand why you would make that suggestion, some problem with Pete?

11. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

Donner is a class act... wouldn't be doing anything like that... the wink was because of his astute observation of something that, regardless of Pete's reasoning for stoping direct sales, is still a smart business move.

-TJK

12. Don Rusk

Well the thread is about Pete going 'dark' for 6 months ......

methinks you protest too much ;)

...you said 'that is not true' , are you Pete ?

I wasn't insinuating anything, but I was stating a business fact that offers some speculation on a good reason for him to do that....

I just sold my SS2 and had watched the used prices continue down, until this news was brought up.......

so Ill stand by my statement

"right I think the used prices were falling pretty sharply , so there may have been a 'glut' of sorts , a reduction of supply is the best move when that happens.......'

(prices fall either becasue of over supply - or under demand.... would you rather I say 'Petes stuff has been exposed as overpriced overbuilt clones that most normal people have little use for' ? ;) )

13. lv

lv Supporting Member

What is the point of your post other than to defend Donner who can clearly do that on his own? Are you here to talk about business strategy too? What is so smart about the business move? He has 150 pedals/5 pedalboards on backorder from direct customers, maybe he doesn't want to take people's money and make them wait a year?

The implication is that Pete is puposefully reducing supply to increase the price on the used market. That is simply not true and I just don't understand why someone would want to paint Pete in that negative light.

14. lv

lv Supporting Member

He is not taking orders for awhile because...he has too many orders!

As you admit, your comment is speculation...you made it up, its not based in fact. You took a guess. I've read your posts before, have learned some stuff from you and like you - which is why it seems surprising why you would make such a comment. You could have "speculated" that he isn't taking direct orders because he's just too busy.

You sound upset because you took a loss on a pedal that you feel was overhyped. Sorry I didn't let you borrow my SS2 when you asked - I had just got it back from a couple other forum members.

15. 57special

57special Silver Supporting Member

PC is way too busy, unfortunately... much as i wish he wasn't , and that he would start working on a couple of things to me. He seems like a very geniune person, and i think his 30+ years building quality stuff deserves some consideration when questioning his motives, slyly or not.
    Perhaps you know him better DonneR , and have some information backing up your assertion that PC is manufacturing a pedal shortage to raise his prices? If so, come out with it. Till, then , I prefer to believe what every dealer, and PC himself has said recently...."I'm sorry, I'm too busy right now , and can't take any more new pedal OR board orders till i catch up. "
    Seems to be the proper thing to do, rather than taking people's money, then making them wait months/years before delivering. There is no shortage of people who will do that.

16. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

Of course I'll defend Donner even if he can do it himself, I really like him, enjoy his posts, his Donner boxes and am friends with some of the people he does business with. The Gear Page is all about fellowship my friend.

And I was simply stating that I didn't think Donner was making any implication, just making an astute contribution about how it could look like a certain business technique that would work to Pete's benifit considering the decrease in value his products have been taking on the used market compaired to what they use to.

Yes, I understand that Pete is increadibly backed up and doesn't want to put the people through the trouble of a year plus wait for his products.

With that in mind... it'll still help used values out, especially if dealers don't have a consistant supply due to the long build times (because Pete's stuff is insanely complex to build and requires a lot of time, I understand that, his gear really is top notch).

So if you don't like me steping in for someone who's actions you wanted to put in a, how did you say it, "negative light", then I'm sorry, but thats who I am, especially when Donner is such a motivator in this forum and organizes so many great things for us.

So we're both just defending people we dig... nothing wrong with that;)

-TJK

17. lv

lv Supporting Member

If you don't find Donner's comment "insinuation" then I guess there is nothing I can say to convince you otherwise, seems obvious to me.

Given Pete's huge backorder status, he doesn't need to do anything to stimulate business.

18. Don Rusk

I think we have a semantical difference of opinion here.....

Insinuation implies malice - or that I was trying to 'dis' Mr. Cornish....

Specualtion is a guess based on apparant circumstances......

I was speculating that Mr. Cornish was a good business person.......... but there is no insinuation.

This is a forum for dicussion and that was an off hand comment based on my experience....

I have never had any direct contact with mr. C and wish him all the best......

I had an SS2 and happened to be suprised at how far the used prices had fallen............ until the other thread pointing up this fact ,,, and now prices are right back up ( yes I got a fair price for mine thanks to this announcement, so theres no hard feelings on my part ---- I was very happy to read this in fact ).........

But I still stand by my speculative comments, tho they may be inccorrect,,, its still a reasonable speculation..

(and thanks for t he kind words TK:cool: )

19. lv

lv Supporting Member

Donner - if you say there was no malice on your part I believe you.

I still think it is inappropriate to suggest or imply in any way with words, supposedly knowing winks, or whatever, that any manufacturer is artificially limiting supply to affect prices unless you know this to be a fact. I think many here would not appreciate any manufacturer doing that.

I am happy to correct any speculation or guesses and present the fact that Pete is simply very backordered to the point of not taking any new orders for awhile. Those are the facts as told to me by Pete, and corroborated by others as well.

20. Don Rusk

Fair enough Lou....

Even tho smilies are more revealing than mere punctuation,, they still can be imprecise... no malice intended, merely misinformed conjecture on my part.....

Cheers mate! and heres to Mr.C always being too backordered to sell to the public !!!!!:D .....

no wait thats not it ~~~~ummm

Happy Black Friday to now-profitable bidnesses everywhere !!!!!!

ummmmmm no wait ...:rolleyes: :cool: ;) :p :( :) :confused: ......

...no wait --- uh Rock on C-man :dude :dude :dude

ok - howbout just > peace.:cool: