Pete Cornish & Bjfe

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by veto, Feb 2, 2008.

1. veto

veto Member

Have anybody compared SS3 to Bjfe products, like to BBOD?
    Is SS3 Klon killer?

2. Stressfest

Stressfest Supporting Member

If i'd of bought Cornish gear from the start i could of saved a small fortune. Beyond compare. :D

3. Guitar James

Guitar James Member

Hi NG-2 is pretty original.

4. JackButler

JackButler Supporting Member

I wish I still had my SS2.
    No, it is not a Klon killer at all, very different. Just really thick and sorta dark in a great way.
    BBOD, again, nothing like the others you ask about. Very amp-like, more neutral sounding. Love dit with some amps and hate d it with others.

5. Soothsayer

Soothsayer (Paul) Supporting Member

Aint it the truth! They are expensive as all hell, but when you add up all the money spent on pedals leading up the Cornish it makes sense.:AOK

6. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

The only Cornish I've tried is my TB-83 Extra which is phnomenal. I love my BJF's too!

7. Ted Witcher

Ted Witcher Member

I thought the SS3/G2 Duplex was totally outstanding. Both on in series is one of the great lead tones possible.

8. Occam

Occam Member

What's the resale of Cornish pedals like. I agree they're absurdly expensive but then again if it truly became my number 1 pedal I would buy one, it's just that I don't know of any place where you can try before you buy or any place that'll let you exchange them if it doesn't work out.

9. KennyM

KennyM Supporting Member

I have over a dozen other OD's, distortions and fuzzes and have had several others including Matchless, Klon and Timmy. I never really cared for a pedals distortion over amp distortion until I checked out my first Cornish. Even though they sound great with most of my amps they seem to sound the best the cleaner the amp model or setting. Sometimes I think they sound the best with an old BF Bandmaster I have.

They are by far my favorite pedals because they seem to intergrate with the amps sound. Most other pedals seem to sound like something just got switched on and changed every characteristic of the sound of my guitar and amp. Sometimes this is great when I'm really going for an effect which might be the thing for a particular part I'm cutting, but it doesn't really feel too organic. The other thing I like about them is that they sound just as good at lower gain settings as they do at more extreme levels. Other pedals I've found to have really only one setting that I seem to find useable.

One other overlooked attribute that I think to be most important is that the buffers in them sound amazing and I actually think they're an improvement on your guitar signal just running through them. I've had many engineers ask what pedal I was using to get a great sound and the truth was that I had nothing switched on.

As you can see, I like em :D

[​IMG]

10. KennyM

KennyM Supporting Member

I've sold an SS-2 and a P-2/ G-2 Duplex. One I bought new and the other used. I definitely got my money back on them or a little better. With the value of the US dollar moving into the toilet, New Cornish pedals are really expensive. Add to the equation the fact that they are also hard to get a lot of the time and you really shouldn't lose much on your purchase, especially if you can pick one up used. Mine sold on Ebay with a Buy It Now.

11. guitarpedaladdict

guitarpedaladdict Supporting Member

resurrection post... Just got my SS3 and G2 and they seem to really like being pushed by a low gain BJFE I have. Both great craftsmen with different ways of getting to terrific sounds. In a perfect world, I could see owning the best of both.

12. strings2wood

strings2wood Supporting Member

:agree

Me too.
    Great summary.:aok
    I concur completely.

especially because they truly showcase:
    the "characteristic of the sound of my guitar and amp."

That's what I like most.:beer

13. misterpink

misterpink Member

:agree Use a base of clean tones as the foundation for your various dirt boxes. Doing so not only makes for great dirty tones, but makes it easy to jump to beautiful clean tones, too!

14. misterpink

misterpink Member

NG-2 is the most over the top fuzz I've ever owned and I've owned 25+ fuzzes! Incredibly versatile, too!

15. amphead777

amphead777 Member

A lot of people feel that way. Think about it!!

16. guitarpedaladdict

guitarpedaladdict Supporting Member

update to last post - I've had the cornish going on 3 months now and still have 3 BJFE on the board. BJFE I kept the Model G (low to medium OD pedal - similar dirt range to the SS3), SBMV (always a keeper), PGC. No way to get around the fact that these two builders are some of the most highly regarded in the industry. Even with the Cornish being simply incredible, I really love the Model G - it is noiseless even at higher gain and high volume and a little more spongy feeling than the SS3. Such great pedals, you can't go wrong with either. If you are a little freaked out by the Cornish prices, the BJFE are a bit more do-able at $400'ish range (still a lot, but VERY worth it). To my ears, the BJFE tend to be slightly lower in the gain department, but this really only matters when playing at house volume. Once things are up to rehearsal or gigging volume, the BJFE get soooooo sweet, as do the Cornish.

17. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I've tested the Cornish SS3 against the Klon and the Zendrive. When the Cornish works it's absolutely brilliant, say thru a Hiwatt, the Klon can't touch it. Thru a Fender with JBLs though, the Klon is perfect and the Cornish sounds harsh and fuzzy. Different strokes for different situations I think. I haven't owned a BJFE so I can't compare there...

18. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Biggus Bearfootus Vendor

very timely threadfor me - Im doing a swap with a pedal friend to try some of his Cornish pedals as its been a few years since I had any .... my memory of them was sort of very dependable versions of classics with the rough edges taken off, but my ears got bored of these 'pat' sounds = sort of great tools but not particularly inspiring...... Im looking forward to refreshing my ears on these beauties...:aok

What the difference between the SS2 ands 3 ?

19. sbr

sbr Member

Not much. I had both, sold the SS-2 and kept the 3. They are 95% the same base effect, but the SS-3 is a little more versatile having a Hi/Lo EQ rather than a single Tone knob.

20. coolhand78

coolhand78 Supporting Member

I've got an SS3 & G2 incoming, whilst i've always read great things about the BJFE stuff, i've never really gassed for it... came close to buying a honey bee but in the end Pete Cornish pretty much cured my pedal gas...