Pete Cornish Death Pedal. Lou Reed Fuzz.

PhuzzphayzZ

Not fair! I thought the Fuzz was making all those pitch bend sounds, haha!! Was about to call it the best Fuzz ever!

starvinmarvin

interesting... I always thought that the NG was only Germanium because of it's diodes just like the G2.
It does not make sense as I think the stability and variability of Ge transistors would drive Pete mad.
Pete does describe the NG-2 as having a 'Stabilized' Ge second stage preamp (here)... but I always assumed that meant Ge diodes.
though looking at this schematic which I believe the tracing is correct components may be off...
now I'm not the best at reading schematics but if it were that Q4&Q5 were both Ge that would mean that the only one of them were Ge?

what this word salad means isn't to second guess your claim about the bias knob because it is true that in fuzz faces adding a bias trim to Q2 certainly does help get a hold over Ge stabilization in heat and cold.
it's just that I don't think I've ever experienced any difference in sound due to heat with my unit? which I've always attributed that to it being mostly silicon transistors and Ge diodes...

have you @philrob1 @adolan anyone else I can think of who has an NG2 and or 3 experienced sound difference in heat or cold?

There's the word "germanium" in the NG-2 description but not in the NG-3 description, so I'm guessing he went all-Si for the NG-3. It's all Si transistors here in any case (though there are Ge diodes). Here as well.

If the layout you've linked to is correct, even if only two transistors are Ge they would still be affected by heat (and allow correction with the bias knob / trimpot). Hybrids are not uncommon, see the Keeley Fuzz Bender for a recent example (or the Harmonic Percolator, for that matter).

Hope this helps!

EDIT: But this specifies Ge for Q4 and Q5, so yes.

EDIT2: Doh, it just dawned on me that you're saying you own one of these. You can just open it up and look, the Ge transistors should be visually distinct from the Si ones.

Last edited:

aram

There's the word "germanium" in the NG-2 description but not in the NG-3 description, so I'm guessing he went all-Si for the NG-3. It's all Si transistors here in any case (though there are Ge diodes). Here as well.

If the layout you've linked to is correct, even if only two transistors are Ge they would still be affected by heat (and allow correction with the bias knob / trimpot). Hybrids are not uncommon, see the Keeley Fuzz Bender for a recent example (or the Harmonic Percolator, for that matter).

Hope this helps!

EDIT2: Doh, it just dawned on me that you're saying you own one of these. You can just open it up and look, the Ge transistors should be visually distinct from the Si ones.

Looking at the front of my pedal it looks like it's just an NG pedal, not an NG-2 or NG-3.

Opened it up and it was made way back in 2003. No way to tell whether it has any silicons as everything has been painted over.

No big deal though because.....IT SOUNDS AWESOME!!!!!

starvinmarvin

Looking at the front of my pedal it looks like it's just an NG pedal, not an NG-2 or NG-3.

Opened it up and it was made way back in 2003. No way to tell whether it has any silicons as everything has been painted over.

No big deal though because.....IT SOUNDS AWESOME!!!!!

Hey Aram, you're right, if it's magic it's magic, all the transistor stuff is secondary! Thanks for looking inside!

Doesn't really matter, but even if painted over, Si transistors inside the Cornish should look like this:

bc549c-pinout.gif

So you'll see that shape inside, even if painted over, like in this Cornish P-1 pedal:

IMG_2480.jpg

We know there are supposed to be 5 transistors in there, so if you count 5 of those shapes then they're all Si. No other component will be in that shape. Germs will be a round can type of thing with 3 legs (they sort of look like electrolytic capacitors but the caps only have two legs, and many Ge transistors will also have kind of a skirt / look somewhat like a hat, with some having a tab indicating the emitter).

Great demo!

Last edited:

sonichronic

Silver Supporting Member

Hope this helps!

Pete's pedals have a little warranty sticker on the bottom that you have to cut open to view the guts and they are also all painted.
regardless, I don't quite mind cutting my sticker b/c the warranty is only 12 months anyway and is non-transferable.

but here are pictures of the insides of the NG fuzz.

4 transistors for the fuzz
1 transistor for the buffer (board
looks like there is an opamp too? not sure if it's for a gain stage?
55jX90K.png

the potentiometer on the back wall is the bias.
mIiuC9L.png

I've built the Cornish buffer before it's the small board below the one with the IC and above the bottom left.
(above and to the left of the footswitch) BUT the input jack goes to the board on the bottom left first. hmmm?
kTgR0Ry.png
oRMaq7m.png

@aram
any chance you can post pics of the inside of your NG? better ones than I have?

maybe I'll suck it up and cut the warranty stickers on mine. it's not like I'm going to sell it. I've sold Cornish pedals with cut stickers before it's a bitch explaining to buyers that it means nothing. Pete won't honor warrantees on secondhand pedals... in fact Pete once told me to cut the stickers and sent me a diagram of how to fix the problem myself rather than sending it to him b/c he knew I was capable.

starvinmarvin

looks like there is an opamp too? not sure if it's for a gain stage?
55jX90K.png

Since that's on the perfboard immediately connected to the DC input jack, and since I guess this is a Ge build, I'd bet that that's a voltage inverter chip, something like this. It's unlikely that Cornish's using NPN Ge transistors, so since they're most likely PNP that's the best way to have a daisy-chainable previously-positive-ground pedal.

ryanmcdermottguitar

Psychedelic Speed Freak
Silver Supporting Member
Awesome clip! Cheers to Pete, Lou and Carmine Street. I have a Cindy build commencing very soon.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom