Pete Cornish SS-2

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jimmy54, May 14, 2006.

1. jimmy54

jimmy54 Member

Hi folks,

After hearing the soundclips for the Pete Cornish SS-2 at the steelbender site, I'm seriously jones-ing for one.

Any folks here offer any advice? I'm interested in how it cleans up with the guitar volume knob, does it prefer single coils over HB's etc., and anything else anyone cares to mention.

http://www.steelbender.com/cornishsoftsustain.html

2. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

I have one. I hardly ever use it. They are expensive and big. They are flat EQ wise (no mid hump) and make a very good no to low od boost. I have and use a BB Preamp and it's a more logical stomp box to me. But, if you want a SS2 get one, I had to, to see for myself. I should sell it but I haven't brought myself to that decision yet.

Not much of an answer huh?

3. Da5Id

Da5Id Member

Upon viewing those videos on Steelbender, I was just digging the sound of that 3 Lollar P90 equipped Briggs through the Rambler. Awesome sounding combination.

4. jimmy54

jimmy54 Member

I know what you mean Da5Id, I'm not sure if the Briggs with the Lollars is responsible for most of the great tone and the pedal is secondary.

Hardly a ringing endorsement then jakeddy:) . I wouldn't be using it as a clean boost as I already have a couple of pedals for that, but more of a lowish OD. How does it function in this context (compared to other much cheaper pedals)? I'm not too bothered by a lack of mid hump as my amps (Matamp) are very good in the mids.

I've been reading up on the SS-2 as much as I can and it appears it works best into a clean amp. How about an amp on the verge of break-up?
    Also, I'm intrigued with descriptions I've read about the SS-2 being very, spongy/valve-like. What are your experiences jakeddy (and be as disparaging as you like, I don't necessarily need more reasons to buy another OD:) ).

5. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

Clean amp for sure and a Fender prefered. Mild OD is it's best point, cooking Marshall tones just aren't there. It's can be dark and seems to like single coils. It does leave the low end full and ABing it with tube screamers will make you lean to the SS2 but on it's own there are other cheaper (Timmy) that do a better job. In fairness, most people don't play alone so how it sets in a band context is what counts. What guitar/amp do you have? Do you play in a group?

6. jimmy54

jimmy54 Member

Thanks Jakeddy. My amps are a Matamp 1224 and Cornell 18 watt Plexi (neither obviously Fender-like). I'd be using either a strat, a tele or a les paul (but most likely the strat).
    I've got a ts-808 that I use with the strat but I find the amp has to be on the verge of break-up to get a really good tone with it. I was hoping the SS-2 would give a nice creamy, mild OD through the amp either set clean (for when playing at lowish volume, an increasing need with a new-born baby) or when played at higher volume with the amp at the point of break-up.
    I'm not in a band but jam with friends regularly, but I'm not overly concerned with the band context/place in the mix as I'm sure most of it's use would be on it's own.

7. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

I'm in Oklahoma, your welcome to come over and try it out. :jo

8. Play by Tone

Play by Tone Member

It wasn't very punchy, kinda felt lifeless in a live band context. Good bluesy tones though, if you dial it correctly.

Love the buffer though!

9. Jemlite

Jemlite Member

I've got a SS-3 and love it. IMO very big sounding and extremely quiet. It's a light OD, but has tons of personality. I've used it into both Fender and Marshall type amps with great results (ask Big Mike). Clean to on edge of breakup is fine with it. I even like what it does to an already driven amp.

It's not for everyone though. I talked Play by Tone into one a few months back :jo and as stated, didn't work out. I don't know, mine is awesome, full sounding and cuts great in a band. The only pedal I like better is the Cornish G-2. :YinYang These things just work for me.

I recommend the SS-3 over the SS-2 though. I can see how these could be too warm if you didn't have the bass cut knob.

10. Play by Tone

Play by Tone Member

I have a G-2 on order, so there is still hope :) But the SS-3 introduced me to the buffer, and now there is a LD-2 on my board. An added bonus, the LD-2 made my Strobostomp MUCH more stable when tuning!

11. nek

nek Member

What a great demo! Those Lollar pickups sound great! My biggest challenge with the G-2 has been how properly british, civilized and creamy it wants to make everything that passes through it. Looks like its a characteristic of the whole Cornish line. Notice in the SS-2 demo as the effect increases, the pickup switch moves from neck to bridge. That being said, I agree Cornish effects are worth every penny.

12. 57special

57special Silver Supporting Member

the SS-2 excels at low gain OD. I prefer the G-2 for an all round pedal and find that the SS-2 can be too 'wooly" for me, but others i know of can get GREAT sounds out of them. I think Lou V of this board had some terrific clips with them and a Bruno.
    I wouldn't buy the SS2 for a clean boost, myself, though i can see how some could.

13. jimmy54

jimmy54 Member

Thanks for the kind offer Jakeddy but it's a bit far to travel from Liverpool (UK):eek:

Thanks for all the other comments fellas. Looks like I've got some thinking to do (to go along with the thinking I've got to do re buying a Fender amp)

14. Jemlite

Jemlite Member

Hey Josh. Yea, the G-2 is very cool... but I have a disclaimer so I don't mess you up again. :Spank lol. It isn't gonna be the end all of distortions.

It has more drive than the SS but isn't a huge jump. I use the SS-3 to give more edge while adding some personality. The gain is usually at 1:00. With the G-2 I use it with the gain almost cranked full to get a stronger lead tone, but it works nice for rhythm too. I almost wish it had a little more gain available sometimes. Just a hair backed off from full is what I like, so I guess it doesn't matter. I would consider the SS a low gain OD, and the G-2 a medium gain distortion. For crazy high gain with infinite feedback, the G-2 was meant to be stacked with the SS. They kill together and have more distortion than any other one pedal I've tried. Cornish designed them to compliment eachother, so they sound like one pedal anyways. Def quieter than anything close to that much gain too.

So, IMO the G-2 is the next aggressive step up from a SS-3. I don't have trouble with either one cutting through a mix, but they can sound a little dark at first (esp through a FTR37 ;) ). Your ears kinda atune to the richness after awhile though.

.. IMO Cornish pedals were only meant for, and really kicks ass live. People aren't gonna appreciate there value at lower volumes as much. They sound kinda warm, and as someone said "Properly British". But with volume in a mix... all the sudden they are perfect. Just listen to Gilmore's lead tone from Live 8.

Good luck.

15. Play by Tone

Play by Tone Member

Yup, I just hope it has a slightly different sound, like the description "original tone". I just couldn't dig the SS-3 set up similarly to the BB Preamp while performing, I'd kick it in and my punch got a little lost. But no worries.

16. lv

lv Supporting Member

The SS-2 (and 3) are imo, some the absolute best sounding and feeling pedals around. Nothing feels more amplike if you like the feel of a sagging rectifier, and a creamy thick tone. Very touch sensitive as well. My clips really do not do the pedal justice. I a/b'd mine with so much out there and nothing came close for what I like. It does sound best with a moderately loud amp, so if you're looking for something for lower volume home use (Landgraff works really well at low volumes), it might not be the best choice. The G-2 has more gain and is more versatile, but I prefer the tone of the SS-2. I've owned both the 2 and 3 and would take either as I like plenty of low end in my tone. Not quite enough gain for me with sinlge coils, but enough with humbuckers. Can do a nice RF type of tone as well.