Pete Cornish substitutes

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by bopplayer, Dec 17, 2009.

1. bopplayer

bopplayer Member

Have you owned a Cornish pedal only to sell it because you found another brand to be close enough or even better? i'm not complaining about his prices or notorious long wait, just curious if you've found alternatives to anything he makes? the G-2, P-2, SS-3, NG-2, TB-83 just curious.

2. lv

lv Supporting Member

Stampede SOV (the old one, haven't tried the new one) does some SS-2/3 tones.

Haven't played anything that came close o the G-2 though.

3. suhrbrutal

suhrbrutal Senior Member

Cornish is in their own class. I have played nothing that sounds like them. Not my favorite, but they have their own sound. The modded DM-2 is by far the best delay I have ever played. Made my Maxon AD-900 sound like a cheap toy.

4. americananalog

americananalog Member

The Skreddy Top Fuel was inspired by Gilmour's high gain sound during the Pulse era. He was using mostly the G2 and P2 at that time.

5. DOMINIC

DOMINIC Member

Does your AD-900 have the MN3005 chip? I have one and it's the absolute best delay I've ever used.

6. fuzzfoot

fuzzfoot Member

A Drive Gate will get you close to the P-2.

Nothing can do the G-2 or NG-2. They are both completely unique.

I've heard the Providence Stampede OD can do some SS-2/3 tones, but haven't owned a Stampede OD to compare to my SS-3.

7. suhrbrutal

suhrbrutal Senior Member

Yes it was the early one. 1200.00 for the Cornish DM-2. THE best delay I have heard. Better than my TC 2290, or any of the other boutique delays I have had, or played. Don't get me the wrong the Maxon is very nice, but this was a whole other level.:bow

8. paintbox

paintbox Guest

I wonder why the great Gilmour chooses the modded BOSS DD-3(or 5 or whatever) instead? Obviously he can have Pete make him whatever he wants. Maybe he wants something brighter, I guess-

9. suhrbrutal

suhrbrutal Senior Member

How do you not know it is modded by Pete? He uses Cornish stuff and has for almost 30 years.

10. lv

lv Supporting Member

Do you mean DD-2?

11. suhrbrutal

suhrbrutal Senior Member

Yes, sorry thank you.

12. paintbox

paintbox Guest

I DO know that it was modded by Pete. I guess what I wrote wasn't clear. As far as I know Gilmour uses (or did use) a Cornish modified DD-3 (or 5 or whatever) with a hi-cut filter and I'm sure lots more tweaking.

Point being I always thought it was strange Dave went from a Binson Echorec or some kind of tape delay right to a digital w/o ever (as far I know) using an analog like the DD-2. I'm sure he's tried them, especially Pete's version. And I'm sure they sound amazing.

I read in an interview somewhere that he went digital to avoid the hassles and unreliability of tape delay, particularly live. He never mentioned analog delays, which are (in my experience) more hassle free than digital (hey Line6 I'm looking in your direction). I've had two different digital delays crap out on me live. Never had any analog delay do that.

13. mrecho

mrecho Member

14. Melj

Melj Member

I've had a TB83 extra and SS3 / G2 duplex. I didn't gel with the duplex, to be honest I preferred my Okko diablo gain +. Not really apples + apples but I really found the duplex to be very bland, whereas the Okko immediately became my number 1 and hasn't budged for probably 4 years now. Love it.

The TB83 extra is a great pedal, best treble boost i've tried by a large margin. However, in my rig, I could get more or less the same result with a Bob McBroom McBoost. Both seem close to being fuller - range boosters than your average Rangemaster clone. Given the McBoost had cost less than half the TB, I sold the Cornish. If I only wanted roaring 70s amp tone, a TB83E and a decent tube amp would get you there...but then so would a McBoost (which is based on another booster anyway).

I'm still using Cornish cables - not because they sound better but because they're absolutely solid and still look almost new after a few years of gigging. Very sturdy.

15. NeilYoungFan

NeilYoungFan Supporting Member

16. pulse.

pulse. Silver Supporting Member

What are the prices of those Costalab effects?

17. NeilYoungFan

NeilYoungFan Supporting Member

In an e-mail contact I had with the guy a few months ago, he said the Natural Drive was 160 euros plus shipping. I believe I'll order one for my second board, as I really adore the SS-3. Pm me if you want any further info.

18. paintbox

paintbox Guest

19. vintage66

vintage66 Member

Well, Gilmour said he can get his sound using pedals from Guitar Center, so I'd say Boss or Digitech.:rimshot

20. JVania

JVania Member

:agree