Pete Thorn on Treble Boosters

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by gtrfinder, May 23, 2019.

1. Bob T.

Bob T. Member

The treble booster is without question my favorite guitar effect, period. Great work @sinasl1 on demonstrating the versatility and freaking-coolness of the almighty treble booster!

sinasl1 and Thesleepstalker like this.
  2. BradleyCB

BradleyCB Gold Supporting Member

Did anyone else start looking up AC30s after watching this video too?

Jim Marciano likes this.
  3. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

No need.

Already got one ;).

4. thesjkexperienc

thesjkexperienc ^^^ I made this guitar^^^ Supporting Member

I have a Morgan AC40 Deluxe that hits those tones, and 18 Watt Marshall in the same box. Ac30s weigh more than I can dream of lifting lol. One of my very favorite albums is the first Rory Gallgher solo LP and it’s a lot of AC30 on the first 3-4 albums.

I view a rangemaster as a single transistor fuzz due to the amazing clean up.

Since I’m always ready for a new adventure it would be great if you listed a few favorites and what amp they like best. You do want to find the best match between guitar, pedal and amp.

Arcane Analog Skullmaster into a Tungsten Buckwheat & Cortez
    Swart Atomic Boost into Swart AST PRO
    BSM RG Rory Gallgher into Morgan AC40 Deluxe

The Flynn Hawk sounds great into most anything but it has to be kinda loud

5. Jim Marciano

Jim Marciano Supporting Member

How does the black country stand up to the Beano and naga, I'm looking at all three

Vcaster likes this.
  6. joeleric26

joeleric26 Supporting Member

Shhhhhhhh … Pete, you're going to reveal my tone secrets.

I used to stack multiple ODs for gain stages, but after getting the BAE Hot Fuzz last year I only use that and a Greer Lightspeed for all my dirt because of the treble booster side on the Hot Fuzz. I never run it into the actual Fuzz like it is designed to do, but I use it to goose the Lightspeed all the time. Lightspeed alone = my just breaking up tone. Lightspeed + Treble Booster = Heavy Rhythm/Lead Tone. Fuzz = … uhh fuzz.

The BAE was my favorite pedal purchase last year.

gearscrubs likes this.
  7. indeedido

indeedido Supporting Member

Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
    When I listen to demos they sound great. But when I use one, they sound like a cocked wah. Is that really what they sound like and the demos just dont pick it up? I've had a naga viper, keeley Tesla coil and currently a beano boost. I like what it does just seems weird to me I dont hear the demo the same way as in person.

8. aaronjcurtis

aaronjcurtis Member

I hear you. Was playing around with all this last night and got a lot of cocked wah sound, which I thought sounded good, but to dial it out I went to my amp (Bassman LTD) and adjusted the EQ by taking back some mids and adding a touch of bass. That removed most of the cocked wah sound.

indeedido likes this.
  9. JK1965

JK1965 Silver Supporting Member

THE Missing ingredient for vintage hard rock early metal zone. You simply cannot capture that sound accurately without one.
    Get a great overdriven tone going and then hit it with a treble booster and there IT IS!!

CJReaper likes this.
  10. aaronjcurtis

aaronjcurtis Member

I was worried this sound would really only work best with classic rock stuff, but oh no, last night was all indie ambient stuff and I loved it.

Trying to determine if the treble booster setting on my germanium fuzz is close enough to the real deal. Any thoughts on that?

11. Wagster

Wagster Supporting Member

They're also wonderful into a JC-120 when you have the urge to bring the pain.

CJReaper likes this.
  12. Jakeboy

Jakeboy Member

Back off on the guitar volume to 7-8 and the cocked way sound usually disappears.

PlexiFuzz likes this.
  13. RMosack

RMosack Supporting Member

Best treble booster video I’ve ever seen. Really paints the picture.

Blanket Jackson likes this.
  14. Blanket Jackson

Blanket Jackson ¿Qué Hiciste? Silver Supporting Member

+1 ... my thoughts exactly

15. Redrum

Redrum Member

Very inspiring video! I have a Swart Atomic Boost (OC44 version) that I've never really spent too much time with. After watching Pete's video I'm going to pull it out and really see what it can do.

Great TB video Pete, thanks.

16. john l

john l Supporting Member

17. john l

john l Supporting Member

Hi. All really different unfortunately.

I would say the Beano is pure range master with a couple of different voicings. I actually ended up modding mine as the stock value input caps Mike uses didn't really work very with my rigs. I ditched the 3 way switch and just went with two different values that worked better for me and. I like it a lot better now

Despite using a silicon transistor its very similar sounding to the Beano when set up that way. I want to say its more versatile but that kinda sells it short. It does a lot and it does it all really well lol. The range Control isn't like other units Ive tried with range controls. Most have a very limited notch of usefulness and the Naga's is pretty bitchin' through out the entire sweep. Being able to adjust the clipping further with the Heat control also comes in very handy for certain amps.

The BCC will most likely make the cut because it sounds glorious but also so I end up with one thats not redundant. This thing will give you Sabbath in spades which is exactly why I bought it. I was worried that it was going to be more like a distortion pedal when I ordered it but its not thankfully. That said, its a boost for sure and it totally can cop Treble Booster tones but in a lot of ways its the least Treble Booster(y) one Ive tried so far in the way it clips. Ive looked for more info on the circuit to see if it utilizes a transistor or diodes but I can't find much. Its very smooth and doesn't have that spitty snarl quality that I for one like in a Treble boost.

In the end I like all these stupid boxes and Im not looking forward to selling any of the them lol.

18. frisco

frisco Supporting Member

Another vote for the BCC. Most friendly and flexible of the three I've tried, the others being the Beano and the HBE.

CJReaper likes this.
  19. ripoffriffs

ripoffriffs Supporting Member

The Mad Professor Ruby Red Booster is another great treble boost!

Frank67 and JackD like this.
  20. louderock

louderock Member

I recently played around with my Divided By 13 Dyna-Ranger. The treble booster really is the key to getting the Sabbath tone.