Pete Thorn on Treble Boosters

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by gtrfinder, May 23, 2019.

1. aaronjcurtis

aaronjcurtis Member

Is that the Naga Viper you’re referring to?

2. FokenBusker

FokenBusker Member

I use a treble booster before a Muff to cop those sweet sweet Gilmour Atom Heart Mother Suite style tones. The breakup isn't quite the same due to Gilmour having used a Fuzz Face for said track but it's pretty darned close, and sounds marvellous with a slide.

3. corbs

corbs Supporting Member

Not specifically, although that certainly has one.

A range/tone control just adds versatility as some boosters can be "honky/cocked wah" sounding in some rigs. I beleve that is why some folks are turned off after they purchase one with a fixed range (straight up rangemaster/hornsby skewes clones).

indeedido likes this.
  4. JackD

JackD Gold Supporting Member

Has anyone compared the DWJ Treble Booster to the Cornish TB-83 Extra? The DWJ has the added switch to being some low end back in. Both made in the UK.

5. OverdriveLover

OverdriveLover Member

Scott's Crispy Cream Treble Booster is an awesome one if you can find it

riffy likes this.
  6. GreatSatan

GreatSatan Member

Best boost pedal i ever had was a cheap hand-built modified rangemaster clone, with a switch between stock and more of a mid boost.

But germanium diodes being what they are, mine developed a rising background white noise level problem that made it unusable.

Original builder fixed it for free but the noise issue slowly crept back, it's been sitting unused in a drawer over in the UK for about a decade now.

7. JSmick

JSmick Member

Good stuff on this and very informative!! Is the treble booster "magic" limited to EL34/84 type amps? I have a Deluxe Reverb - would it work in that context or does the DR already provide enough treble? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

8. Vcaster

Vcaster Member

Dazatronyx Germanium Amplifier treble booster (“Rangemaster”)

Recently received my pedal from Australia, where the maker is located. Looking forward to giving it a whirl with a Vox AC10C1 and a Marshall Silver Jubilee Mini.

woof* and Pellecaster like this.
  9. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

Never heard of them.

Vcaster likes this.
  10. MadFrank

MadFrank Supporting Member

Good question. I too prefer a clean Deluxe Reverb type amp, and there kinda the opposite type that typically/traditionally suit Treble Boosters, so I run a Treble Boost (Plum Crazy) into an OD first, then into my amp to get those magic tones. The OD is then providing the mids, gain and compression the booster needs. You could also try turning up you Deluxe until it starts to break up by itself, and see if that's where the magic is for you. Different treble Boosters are different though, and most modern recreations tend to have a wider tonal range than the stock original setting, so that may suit your amp better just by itself. As ever with anything, it's a question of trying out different settings or combinations and seeing what works for you.

Also, a treble booster (always thought of as a slightly misleading name. but I digress) isn't just boosting treble. It is doing that, but it's boosting high-mids and cutting bass at the same time, while hitting the front of your amp with a big germanium boost full of sparkly presence, as well as creating gain. The germanium is why it's so interactive with your volume control, like a fuzz. The treble in your amp will do something quite different and wont have the same effect if you turn it up. Originally, back in the early 60's, these devices were designed and intended to brighten dark British amps yes, but purely brightening the amp isn't really what they were ever used for (this was before Rock, after all!). Most users, famous or not (like me), use them as dirty/distortion box's of a unique character. And temperament! That might not have been the original intention of them. I recently read that Roger Mayer claimed to have invented them, but never got the credit.

When you get a good one singing with your amp, it's a very unique tone and dynamic interaction...and just heaven! :love: So I really couldn't recommend trying one out with your rig enough.

Last edited: May 28, 2019
    JSmick and blackba like this.
  11. BlueHeaven

BlueHeaven Member

12. thesjkexperienc

thesjkexperienc ^^^ I made this guitar^^^ Supporting Member

Into the normal channel of a tweed amp is where I treble boost. 6V6 or 6L6 is fine, but prefer the 12ay7 or 5751 in V1. A 12ax7 almost sounds like a booster in V1 and gets too wild & noisy adding more.

YMMV, but most non-master amps can do boosters though having a pedal with full range options can work with a wider variety of amps and settings. Power scaling is great with this, but I’ve never used a MV amp with a boost as I haven’t owned one for 17 years.

theanalogdream and Jakeboy like this.
  13. JackD

JackD Gold Supporting Member

That thing sounds pretty damned good. What's your impression since getting it? Is it quiet or noisy?

Jim Marciano likes this.
  14. Simon

Simon Supporting Member

It was cool that Brian gives Him all the credit.
    Rory would have been more of a household name if He hadn't gotten ill so Young. He started going down hill at about 35.

My favorite Rory album is Calling Card, and to this day is still some of the coolest strat sounds I've ever heard.

Echoplexi, blackba and Adagietto like this.
  15. Adagietto

Adagietto Supporting Member

Calling Card was my intro to Rory, some time in late '76. That may be why it remains my favorite. Great album!

16. Bluesful

Probably my favourite too (not counting Irish Tour '74 as that's a live record).

17. jlectka

jlectka Supporting Member

Been listening to Live in Europe and Irish Tour a lot lately. In know Live at the El Mocambo is considered one of the best blues live performances but I’d throw Rory in there without hesitation. Crazy great band.

Echoplexi and Bluesful like this.
  18. Bluesful

I'd take Irish Tour over El Mocambo any day.

Both great though.

Echoplexi likes this.
  19. MikeMcK

MikeMcK Supporting Member

I'm going reply to myself from a month ago. The hype is real... Given all the pedals I've bought & sold over the years because they were "game-changers", I finally found one that was. After seeing the video I found myself window shopping on Reverb and I noticed a 2-in-1 pedal that was a Java Boost circuit into a Zen at a great price. I've been missing my old Zen since it broke (under the goop, so the labor involved in fixing it was prohibitive), and I jumped.

The Java side of it has stayed on about 90% of the time... it doesn't just push the amp for a great classic guitar tone, but with a reasonably bright Les Paul, rolling down the guitar volume gives a whole new range of cleans. I spent a long time finding a Les Paul that had that some Jimmy Page/Michael Bloomfield high end, and this pedal gets it to the amp.

It's not just about getting classic 60's/70's Les Paul tones, (though there are a ton of them in there). I'm getting a whole new range of tones out of the guitar (e.g. the recently-posted vid of Page playing Ramble On, where he got that chimy clean tone out of his neck pickup). I'm tempted to rehash a bunch of TGP stock sayings about "lifting the blanket", etc. but those have lost meaning after the hundred times.

For reference, this rig is a brighter-sounding R7 into a very simple 2xEL-84 head (a '67 Traynor YBA-2, if you're interested) into a miked 1x12. The pedal was built by Krishman Pedals (Jason). It seems rock-solid and the Reverb transaction in buying it from him was perfect. In the few weeks I've had it, I've had multiple guitar players ask about my rig and complimenting the tone out of it.

BearBryan likes this.
  20. Bluesful

Pete inspired me a couple of weeks back to plug my Beano Boost into the AC30: