Pete Townshend - What Fender setup?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by alamancelaw, Jul 20, 2008.

1. alamancelaw

alamancelaw Supporting Member

Watched Pete Townshend and The Who on the Rock Honors on VH1... Does anyone know what Fender amps he was using? Looked like a Super Sonic or a Reissue Tremolux?/ maybe...

2. Peppy

Peppy Member

Two Vibro-Kings w/matching 2 X 12" cabs.

3. davebc

davebc Member

What Peppy said.
    Not stock speakers though.;)

4. The Pup

The Pup Supporting Member

5. alamancelaw

Thanks guys.. I'm looking to check out which speakers. BTW - Adam Sandler's Hiwatt rig with the Les Paul sounded good for the two minutes he played.. lol

6. ReddRanger

ReddRanger Member

You can probably thank the soundman if you like the mix because Pete's Vibro-Kings are never turned up past 2 or 3 on the volume.

7. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

I really want to try one of those vibroking amps. Pete's Vibrokings look killer and they sounded pretty damn good from what I could tell...

8. realityczech

realityczech Senior Member

You can thank Pete cuz he was his own soundman on that gig at least for his stage mix

He had a mixer/rack setup that he visited often during the show

9. alamancelaw

Thats true, I noticed that...

10. 57gold

57gold Silver Supporting Member

In Tampa. Scalped tickets in 4th row center so my 20 year old son and I could share a great experience and maybe see Pete's hands for chord inversions and technique.

Luckily, sat right in front of Pete. Amazing to see the parts in my head played, Pete's energy and feel where "Live at Leeds"-like....we were in awe.

Tone wise, we wished he had played through the amps of the opening act...Germino plexi stacks which had the growl, the percussiveness and the definition that the Fenders lost when Pete turned up. The Fenders were mushy, indistinct when Pete was "Amazing Journey", "Won't Get Fooled", "Magic Bus" jammin.

Turned to my son and said "I wished I had been able to bring my Komet 60 and a cab with Golds and given it to Pete"....some of the magic was lost in the inability of the Fender set up to deliver the string to string definition and musicality of his chord work. My son agreed, said it was too bad that we couldn't hear everthing Pete was playing. We were close enough to the stage to be listening to Pete's rig and not the PA.

Felt same way when saw EC a couple of months ago, wished he plugged into Doyle B's Marshall rig for the blues show and had it for the Cream reunion at the Garden...

Artists pick their own paint brushes, and these guys have 100% artistic control,...both genius contributors to the music we love!

11. Telecaster62

Telecaster62 Member

I still can't get used to seeing Pete with a Strat, and the Who without a slew of Hi Watts behind them is just.....wrong. I love Fender but I don't think it's what Pete needs.

12. Probos

Probos Gold Supporting Member

What is he using to get that overdrive/crunch out of them? Is he just cranking them or hitting them w/a boost or dirt pedal of some kind?

13. ReddRanger

ReddRanger Member

14. Peppy

Peppy Member

Hard to say for sure. Doesn't sound like it to me though...sounds like the only real boost is the FAT switch. When I boost my King it's a lot nastier than what I heard from that show.

15. Bmused

Bmused Silver Supporting Member

I think he is currently using a Custom Pete Cornish Pedal board.

http://www.petecornish.co.uk/petetownshend2.html

16. LZ_69

LZ_69 Member

There's also the mid boost cct. in the Clapton strats

17. gillibi

gillibi Member

He has a few ways to distort the VK......mid boost in Clapton Strat, FAT switch on amp, compressor in Cornish board, or Boss OD1 in Cornish board.

18. silverface

silverface Member

19. lexor

lexor Member

Pete has a custom pedal board mad by Pete Cornish. He uses a boss OD-1 for overdrive. He used to use modified MXR compressors but i think he uses something else now (can't remember). Check out www.thewho.net/whotabs

20. lexor

lexor Member

my bad didnt notice the other replies.