Petentiometer shaft sizes for Epiphone's

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by handtrix, Mar 19, 2015.

1. handtrix

handtrix Member

The Gibson CTS pot's are larger and need the hole enlarged to fit.
    I'm looking for a high quality upgrade that has the smaller diameter shaft. (and similar feel)
    No Bournes or PEC. Centralab's okay.

I have a 2V/1T setup I'd prefer A300k(audio) for my V's and a B300k(linear) for my T. (Don't mind the no-Load for Tone's)
    I have a hard time telling the shaft from pictures as I see 3/8" mentioned for the Gibson replacements. Unfortunately Epiphone upgrades are not the same as Gibson...
    Thanks.

2. mark norwine

mark norwine Member

Quality pots will be 3/8" bushings. So if it were mine, I'd ream the holes.

Also, I wouldn't use a linear for the tone....

3. twostring

twostring Member

This is what you need.

Tapered Ream

I needed one to ream the control holes in a PRS SE but couldn't find one at Lowes or Home Depot. You might have better luck.

4. handtrix

handtrix Member

Thanks guys

I'm not too experience with that as a Luthier's tool as I am more confident with step drills in reverse.

No prob on reaming, but I would prefer not to that it's Korina.
    I was hoping to upgrade with the same diameter, but it looks in order to upgrade reaming might be the mod.
    To ream would be a small sacrifice for an Epiphone in order to get what I need & demand out of my guitar's performance.

I probably have different wiring and a different value cap, so I can see why you would prefer an Audio taper for your tone pot.

It does look like my choices are limited, as I need 300k... or a low reading 500k could be an option as well ?
    Any other options are welcomed.

5. Ulug

Ulug Member

Alpha pots should fit Epis fine.

6. twostring

twostring Member

You can always get some Alphas, but it didn't take much reaming to get the CTS pots to fit where the Alphas were on the PRS SE. A stepper in reverse could do it, but for me, going slow and light with a hand reamer felt much more controlled.

7. handtrix

handtrix Member

Yes, I thought about Alpha's as I think that is what I have instaled now. Looking more like reaming at this point.

8. Juan Tuthri

Juan Tuthri Supporting Member

I've never reamed out Korina but I did the reaming on my Marsden and it came out great.

Now the only reason I did that was to get a couple of push pulls in there.

FWIW, the alphas that were in there were really good pots and I put them in my stash for later use. They function great and look to be a step above the alphas I've seen in my other guitars.

Also, I purchased the reamer at Harbor Freight for just a few bucks and have used it many times since.

9. handtrix

handtrix Member

Okay, I reamed it as described and was the least invasive considering my options. Installation was easy and the shaft fit snug without any issue of chipping paint. I used a comprehensive index to step up as gradually as allowed.

You guys were right...Grab the bull by the horns.
    Thanks for all the help and backup guys.
    :beer

10. sliberty

sliberty Member

Alphas are probably what the Epi came with. You might be able to find something in a 5/16" bushing, but more than likely, all the good stuff will be 3/8" Ream the holes.

Also, I'd recommend that you go with traditional 50's wiring and values. 500KA pots, .022uF caps, wired 50's style. If you Google 50's wiring, you'll get a bunch of diagrams. For my money, this is the only way to go. It preserves the treble when turning down the volume pot. Some will tell you to use treble bleeders for this, but I think 50's wiring does a much better job.

11. twostring

twostring Member

Or if you're interested, I can link you to parts to wire it up like I wired my PRS SE.

I'm not a fan of having to futz with dual volume controls, so I found a full size 4P3T switch that allowed me to route out to a blend pot when the switch is in the middle position. So I have a master volume, a blend control, and a tone control for each pickup. I love having a preset blend of the pickups to switch to. I haven't taken apart my Tele Deluxe lately, but as soon as I get time, I'm rewiring it the same way.