Peter Cetera..................bass player!

stevel

Definitely one of the major under-rated players. It is too bad Chicago did basically turn into an 80s soft rock ballad band. I don't know enough about them to know if it was specifically Cetera's fault, or if it just happened the singles that were released, or the things that became hits happened to be the ones Cetera sang (and wasn't he the only singer at some point?).

I think Chicago (II) is an amazing album - definitely "Art Rock" and while most people don't consider horn bands like them to be "Prog Rock", they really do meet most of the criteria for the most general definitions of Prog.

The whole "Make Me Smile" piece is to me an amazing composition and on the level of any "classical" piece - not to mention the more directly classical suites and multi-movement pieces.

And Cetera's bass is McCartney-esque in its melodicity.

major-minor

I'll sort of derail my own thread and ask : who else can you name that is well known for singing, but is also a great player?

---Phil Collins--- great drummer.
---Christopher Cross ---great guitar player.

gtrplyr1

The 1970 Tanglewood show on youtube is fantastic. Kath is incendiary. Personally I preferred CTA when Cetera played bass and didn't sing that much.

CoachD

Love the bass line on Make Me Smile. Had the pleasure of getting that one together once with all the parts. Love the singing on that one as well...

DustyRhodesJr

I'll sort of derail my own thread and ask : who else can you name that is well known for singing, but is also a great player?

Don Henley as well.

And I agree about Cetera- fantastic bassist.

shallbe

Deputy Plankspanker
Platinum Supporting Member
Don Henley as well.

And I agree about Cetera- fantastic bassist.
Don Henley is a great singer, but was never a great drummer. Competent but pretty bland. His singing way overshadowed his drumming.

Cetera was a great bassist and singer.

jackson

Definitely one of the major under-rated players. It is too bad Chicago did basically turn into an 80s soft rock ballad band. I don't know enough about them to know if it was specifically Cetera's fault, or if it just happened the singles that were released, or the things that became hits happened to be the ones Cetera sang (and wasn't he the only singer at some point?).

I think Chicago (II) is an amazing album - definitely "Art Rock" and while most people don't consider horn bands like them to be "Prog Rock", they really do meet most of the criteria for the most general definitions of Prog.

The whole "Make Me Smile" piece is to me an amazing composition and on the level of any "classical" piece - not to mention the more directly classical suites and multi-movement pieces.

And Cetera's bass is McCartney-esque in its melodicity.
Yes, early Chicago definitely met my definition of PROG-ROCK. More jazz oriented than the English Prog Rock, which was more classically oriented. They were one of the best bands at that time (IMO). I think they proved that with their first few albums. Like some other prog-rock bands, I guess that they decided to cash in with some hit singles, even before Kath's death. After Kath died, they never went back to the more prog-rock style that they had on the first few albums.

radicool

Well, the obvious choice for me is McCartney - even as a 22-year old, his live bass playing was effortless, while he was singing those great parts.

Trending Topics