• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Peter Framptom style/ technique

Frampton is one of my very favorite guitarists. I love how his lines are melodic. They are blues rock but different. I think some jazz in there as well? What is a good place to start to learn to play in his style?

RLD

Silver Supporting Member
Learn some of his solos?
He likes mixolydian a lot.

lifeinsong

Frampton likes to mix it up going between major/minor pentatonic and the blues scale. This is pretty common among a lot of blues and rock players. He's also seems to like to throw in some arpeggios once in awhile. That's one of my favorite guitar solos of all time and the Fender Rhodes solo is right there as well. One of those classic songs that just puts a smile on my face every time I hear it.

Teal_66

I'm so glad this was posted! Whenever someone asks me who my favorite guitarists are - I always include Peter Frampton in my top 3. They look at me strange. If they had an "Incredible Les Paul Tone" list - Frampton would be on it. He is not a flash player, but there's just something about Frampton's playing that is just so nice.

bobmc

Gold Supporting Member
Great feel and timing will help. I think (and could be wrong) the guy can really swing.

Virgman

Hearing those big Frampton hits takes me back. I recall making out with this girl in the 70s with the Frampton Live album playing over and over.

frdagaa

Silver Supporting Member
King of using the major scale in a rock setting. Still based out of the pentatonics but he uses more of the other 2 notes than many other guitarists. And not as much "blue notes" ie #4 and to a lesser degree not as much m 3rd.

Thanks for that tip!! Hes got a great style for sure. I really like his phrasing and how his playing just flows.. I saw his comes alive 35 tour a few years ago.. I was three rows back and it was one of the best concerts/ music experiences ive ever had. His playing was amazing and his tone was spot on. His les paul tone is one of the best ever i think ...

weenerdoggs

What's Up Dogg?
Superb tone and most definitely a Mixolydian master, as the above posters mentioned, he really likes the major feel and by using the Mixolydian he gets that flatted 7 note which is perfect for tying the blues into his music. I think he uses a little bit of Dorian here and there too. A real lyrical player, no wonder he liked the talk box. Thanks for bringing up Frampton, when I was younger and discovered Comes Alive it was a blues rock epiphany for me!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom