• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Peter Gabriel's "So"...

Stratofreak

Released 33 years ago, today. Arguably, one of the best albums of the 80's. I was a week or so away from graduating high school when this came out. I was a metalhead and wanted very little to do with any other genre, but this album resonated with me in a big way. Incredible songs, great performances and sonically, a wonderfully engineered record. I listen to it frequently and it still sounds fresh to my ears. Desert island album for me.

Attachments

Seth L

Released 33 years ago, today. Arguably, one of the best albums of the 80's. I was a week or so away from graduating high school when this came out. I was a metalhead and wanted very little to do with any other genre, but this album resonated with me in a big way. Incredible songs, great performances and sonically, a wonderfully engineered record. I listen to it frequently and it still sounds fresh to my ears. Desert island album for me.

It's a masterpiece.

TubeStack

Silver Supporting Member
Love that album and still listen to it, have it on vinyl and it sounds incredible.

To this day, EVH lists Red Rain as one of his favourite songs.

mikebat

Can you imagine it with Dolly Parton in place of Kate Bush?
You know, it’s not her singing that does it for me in that song, not that I dislike it in any way. And I have heard Dolly do some great stuff, it’s her cheesy tunes and rhinestone cowgirl style that is less not my thing.

That song has the same effect on me that Death Of A Salesman does.

A-Bone

Montonero, MOY, Multitudes
Platinum Supporting Member
You know, it’s not her singing that does it for me in that song, not that I dislike it in any way. And I have heard Dolly do some great stuff, it’s her cheesy tunes and rhinestone cowgirl style that is less not my thing.

That song has the same effect on me that Death Of A Salesman does.
It's interesting to hear other versions of the song with Sinead O'Connor, Jane Sibbery, Paula Cole, etc. filling in for Kate Bush on subsequent Gabriel tours, not exactly also-rans in the vocals department, to get at least a bit of an idea of how much Bush added to the tune as originally recorded (and this setting aside that she apparently contributed to the general studio vibe by interrupting the boys' club atmosphere).

Last edited:

mikebat

It's interesting to hear other versions of the song with Sinead O'Connor, Jane Sibbery, Paula Cole, etc. fillip in for Kate Bush on subsequent Gabriel tours, not exactly also-rans in the vocals department, to get at least a bit of an idea of how much Bush added to the tune as originally recorded (and this setting aside that she apparently contributed to the general studio vibe by interrupting the boys' club atmosphere).
I have seen Paula Cole sing it, and she did a great job. I wonder about Jane Sibery. That could interesting, as well as Sinead, though...I can guess what she brings to the table. I loved her first record, Troy knocked me out.

Yeah he was peaking artistically. In hindsight I dislike the cliche 80's CD production values, but that wasn't Peter's fault.

He was one of the few who kept the original faith that progressive rock music grew out of, along with the King Crimson family of musicians, broadly speaking. I guess the market for it died. But he found a way to keep it popular. Too bad his bandmates never really had that artistic vision, rather they wanted to be like the Beatles too much.

Trending Topics