Peter Gabriel's "So"...

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Stratofreak, May 19, 2019.

1. yfeefy

yfeefy Member

Keep your rolling stones, your beatles... Genesis with Gabriel is my #1 favorite band evar. They are the headwaters of prog. There was a diminishment when they parted company, I appreciate that it had to happen. After Steve Hackett left, Genesis was pretty much done, but PG solo career -- seems like he is doing what he wants to do, not what record execs want.

amstrtatnut, FuzzyAce and Husky like this.
  2. twotone

twotone Member

I've got it. Good album, although I don't care for the dance drum beats in some of the songs.

3. porcytree

porcytree Member

I first got into Peter Gabriel around the time PG4 ( Security ) came out …… I caught a "making of...." documentary on a UK show called " The South Bank Show" ( a art/theatre/music appreciation show ) back in 81 / 82 and was fascinated with the process he undertook ( sampling and sound processing etc...…..I was heavily into electronic music back then ).

That record ( & PG3 or Melt ) will always be my favourites.

So came out around the time my wife & I first started "dating" and she had never heard of Gabriel - played her that album and she became a huge fan ( of Gabriel not me :D:D )

It is a great album ( though it is somewhat dated by it's production - very typical of 80's AOR stuff) and we even had "In Your Eyes" as our first dance when we got married a few years later. ( it's still "our song" )

Like a lot of Gabriels' stuff, I think most of the songs from So sound much better played live....I guess they are "freed" from that 80's production and have more power & punch as a result.

side note - We used some of the music from Passion during our wedding ceremony ( didn't want any Hymns ). My wife wrote to Gabriels management to ask if we could have permission to use the music ( the Church would only allow it if we got permission from the music publisher ). We got a handwritten letter from Peter himself giving us permission to use the music and wishing us well for the day.....he did, however, decline her invitation to the wedding.

Daanh, FiestaRed, burningyen and 9 others like this.
  4. deeohgee

deeohgee Member

Can you imagine Islands In The Stream with Peter Gabriel in place of Kenny Rogers?

5. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

PG just knew when to hold 'em.

6. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

Or in place of Dolly Parton.

7. trainwrecker

trainwrecker Member

Amazing talent, to have been in a great band like Genesis and help create Supper's Ready and Lamb, then to go on to a monster solo career, pretty rare. Trying to think of someone else to have done this, no one comes to mind right off. I love So but my favorite Gabriel is his first, Solsbury Hill is, IMHO, his masterpiece.

yfeefy, amstrtatnut and FuzzyAce like this.
  8. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Supporting Member

I just find it amazing that PG not only had a major label contract, but sold very well with no artistic oversight from said label. People ragg 80s music, but it was the last era when artists were actually encouraged to chart their own path.

9. Dirty_Tones

Dirty_Tones Member

Great record but my sentimental favorite is still "Security". Saw them at a smaller venue in Austin on that tour and Gabriel, Tony Levin, David Rhodes, Larry Fast, and Jerry Marotta marched in from the rear of the auditorium through the crowd to an intense drum-beat which led into the opener "Rhythm of the Heat" when they hit the stage.

yfeefy, amstrtatnut, Madsen and 3 others like this.
  10. KHAN

KHAN Member

I love a lot of this album. But 3 and 4 are far superior to me.
    So was the move to total pop artist that made him a superstar. Not nearly as bad as what happened to Genesis though after Hackett left.

yfeefy likes this.
  11. seward

seward Member

Was a prog-head and Gabriel fanatic at the time, worshipped Security. So actually kind of broke our hearts because it felt like he was selling out. We were young.

12. seward

seward Member

I remember that well. The Security tour was my introduction to Mr. Gabriel and made me a lifelong fan.

Dirty_Tones likes this.
  13. FuzzyAce

FuzzyAce Member

Could have worked?:D
    Throw in a 'world beat' at 7/4 and it's gold.
    I like Kenny too. And, the Bee Gees wrote and sang it together.

A-Bone likes this.
  14. FuzzyAce

FuzzyAce Member

I would have to agree with you. While the Beatles and Stones are obviously great and i love them too, the old Genesis music just hits me on a whole different level.

yfeefy likes this.
  15. ellis dee

ellis dee Member

i really enjoyed watching that. fabulous!

Bluesful and fretless like this.
  16. Dirty_Tones

Dirty_Tones Member

Oh man the gut wrenching sound in that show, too...

17. Mad Wombat

Mad Wombat Member

I can't begin to imagine how many times I've listened to "So" since I first heard it in 1987. It's a part of my U days, and a reminder of them every time I hear it.

18. JPH118

JPH118 Member

That song got me thru a very tough time in life... it’s amazing.

fretless likes this.
  19. chrisr777

chrisr777 Member

Love the album, though not my favorite solo record. The first will always be number one with me. I will see him play any time. Saw him on the first solo tour at the Roxy and multiple times through the years up to most recently at the Hollywood Bowl with Sting. a consummate performer.

yfeefy likes this.
  20. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

There are lots of good reasons to read Daniel Lanois' memoir...great stories about recording people like Bob Dylan, Willie Nelson, U2 and Peter Gabriel.

He says he had to trick/cajole/inspire Gabriel into finishing the songs for So while they were already working on the music.

LordByron and fretless like this.