Peter Green in his heyday

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by AlChuck, Oct 10, 2008.

1. AlChuck

AlChuck Member

Saw this today:

http://tinyurl.com/4nxu39

I'd never seen Greenie perform before, and was amazed at how magnetic he was. Check these out...

2. wildschwein

wildschwein Member

Yeah man - at that time there was no one more electric or as expressive as him - on vocals or guitar. Stardom was too much for him though.

3. pcutt

pcutt Member

I read a biography of Fleetwood Mac in which it said that in the late 60s (or very early 70s, I don't recall which) they were the 2nd biggest band in Great Britain. That's huge! When you consider the other obvious bands like the Beatles, Stones, Who and maybe Zeppelin, it's easy to put in perspective. That's some serious stardom to contend with!

4. james russell

james russell Silver Supporting Member

Thanks for the link. I watched every video.

I had a double album called Fleetwood Mac in Chicago/Blues Jam when I was in high school in '69 or '70. As I recall, it was a double album with several tunes done with just acoustic guitar and Peter's vocals. Man, that was great stuff. His vocals can be just haunting. Great talent.

James

5. shngn7

shngn7 Member

Awesome link! Those videos are great. I just got into the Peter Green era Fleetwood Mac recently and can't believe what I have been missing out on. I love his tone and feel. So raw and expressive. Great voice too.

6. KBR

KBR Member

One of the Best, No Question...I like His Tone, maybe the Best,
    (sorry Jimi & Stevie)

7. Caretaker

Caretaker Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

One of the few guitar players with a tone you know instantly that there are no (thankfully) blatant clones of. Bloomfield and Kossoff also in this catagory. Truly amazing and original.

8. dead mike

dead mike Member

he couldnt handle the acid, not the spotlight. too bad, i also think he had the best tone

9. paraedolia

paraedolia Member

Very cool. Boy could sure play...he had a little resurgence recently too, got himself together and was gigging and recording...anyone know what happened?
    He sure doesn't look healthy in that last clip on that page...kinda weird hearing the glib and vacuous BBC announcer (Jimmy Saville if you care) introducing him.

10. Poppa Stoppa

Poppa Stoppa Member

AlChuck, thank you very much for posting this thread - I have loved Greeny's playing and of course the early Mac band since I was a teenager in the sixties. I thought I'd heard pretty much every track out there but as a result of clicking onto the link you provided I found a cut I'd never heard before - what appears to be a wonderful bootleg recording of Greeny & the band in their prime. Audio plus band photos on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxgY9eEFiYM

Peter Green & Fleetwood Mac
    'I've Got A Mind To Give Up Living / All Over Again'
    Live In The Warehouse, New Orleans, LA 01/31/70

Incredible tone, great playing! I'd love to find that whole show!

11. Poppa Stoppa

Poppa Stoppa Member

12. winkofaneye

winkofaneye Member

He made a comeback in the 90's,recorded a few albums.I went to see him in concert,and I have to say it was sad to watch.He had another player with him,Nigel Watson I think his name was,and he played 99% of the solos,which were note for note Peter Green solos from the original tracks.Peter also sang very quietly,and unintelligably.I am a fan,but alot of the audience shouted things derogatory in his direction,and I think were disgruntled at paying what was a very high ticket price at the time.One heckler screamed 'I'm not paying for your therapy Peter,just play' which was unduly harsh.He just didnt seem with it at all.I dont know what he's doing now,I know he released quite a good Robert Johnson covers album,and there was a documentary on his recovery,which showed Clapton meeting up with him.Incidently,his band that evening was Cozy Powell,drums;Neil Murray(Whitesnake/Sabbath),bass;Nigel Watson,gtr/vocals;and Peter.I cant remember if they had a keyboard player.This was shortly before Cozy was killed in a car crash.I know Peter fell out with Nigel,and the band broke up.Here's a wiki link-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Green_Splinter_Group

so the keyboard player was Spike Edney.

13. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

I remember seeing a cool documentary on Fleetwood Mac where they did spend some decent time on the Peter Green years. That story of the whole acid thing is just crazy. Didn't he and another guy go to this after party and get served some type of LSD cocktail and then never came out of it normal again? Scary sh*t (unfortunately in my younger <stupid> years I recall an incident where I didn't think thing were going to be "normal" again one night
    :barf1)

14. skydog

skydog Supporting Member

15. fenderball

fenderball Supporting Member

i loved that album! i remember it as fleetwood mac in chicago
    lots of great pics inside album cover, etc...

Last edited: Oct 11, 2008
  16. straticus

straticus Member

I get an error?

17. fenderball

good stuff..no doubt....

18. fenderball

gotta read the instructions on the error..it says type a. before the rest of the url...then it works

19. daddyo

daddyo Guest

On AlChucks's link, listen to I Need Your Love So Bad. I think Green is the only Brit who truly could play blues convincingly. All the others were great but they created a new style, blues rock, which was a little different.

Green had a nice voice too. The Mac was a great band, too. I guess it was inevitable the Fleetwood and McVie would have mega success a decade later.

Syd Barrett was another casualty of LSD.

20. AlexF

AlexF Member