Peter Green Mod

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Fndrbndr, Mar 15, 2015.

1. Fndrbndr

Fndrbndr Member

I just finished installing the RS Guitar works kit in my Les Paul, and I accidentally wired up the bridge pickup wrong (polarity reversed). Imagine my surprise when I plugged into my Marshall and hit the in-between pickup setting: instant Peter Green! I love the tone...think I'll keep it. :)

2. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

mess with your volumes for the real magic here; diming everything, then dialing the bridge pickup back just a little will gradually reduce the cancellation, bringing in low end.

3. Fndrbndr

Fndrbndr Member

Thanks! I'll give that a try

4. DoctorBob

DoctorBob Member

I think the PG mod is supposed to be done on the neck PUP? And it is done so by reversing the magnet; is that what the reverse wiring still does?

5. ReddRanger

ReddRanger Member

IMO, doing the mod on the neck or bridge doesn't matter and reversing wires instead of magnets achieves the same thing.

Some argue that a pickup's tone will change when the magnet itself is flipped and I certainly can't prove them wrong. But if you have four conductor pickup wiring, switching two wires is an easy and cheap way to experiment.

I do the PG mod on all of my Gibson style guitars using the wiring method and I love it.

6. straightblues

straightblues Member

I do this to all of my guitars. Wouldn't have it any other way. I love to change the tone with the volume knobs.

Watch this video. It will give you some ideas.

7. Geetar_Will

Geetar_Will Supporting Member

That video was most excellent and caused many a chuckle.