Peter Green PAF's

Laganlad

Silver Supporting Member
Has anyone tried and compared various Peter Green Style pickups? Have you done a shoot out?
Opinions welcome.
Cheers

sidekick

Silver Supporting Member
Not really a 'shoot out', although compared a Tom Holmes with neck magnet flip with a Bare Knuckles PG set, (BK recommended to use a different rated cap to the more 'usual' rating) in the same guitar for a while.

Not good at explaining 'tone', but both sets achieved 'that sound' and to my ear with the Bare Knuckles having the edge ... Considering the price difference, you'd have enough money left to try another set by someone else ...

Seems Gary Moore liked the PG Bare Knuckles in his later Les Paul's and some believe they are more 'true' to how the original was 'repaired' back in the day ... But that is open to contention and probably better not to go down that road ... ;)

Laganlad

Silver Supporting Member
So when you are in bridge and neck position do you get a quality time for those positions ?

Edit:
Oops, tone not time

Last edited:

enharmonic

Old Growth
Platinum Supporting Member
I had the Throbak PG-102's, and they did that phasey thing very well.

tapeworm

So when you are in bridge and neck position do you get a quality time for those positions ?

Edit:
Oops, tone not time
I really like the middle setting, out of phase and get a lot of use out of it. It's great on the slow blues numbers and works really nice on the jump blues numbers.

You can always roll back the volume on the neck pickup and the put of phase tone goes away, on the Manalishi's at least.

TylerE

I dunno why someone doesn't built a 4-position LP switch. 2 middle positions...one out of phase one in phase. I know it can be done with a push-pull but the switch seems a lot more user friendly.

Da Geezer

Silver Supporting Member
I listened to clips and they sounds great but I don't think I've ever seen pups that expensive
Post reported.....don't you know you get what you pay for? The more $$$ you pay, the better the tone? You only live once, no B rigs....all that jazz?

:p

enharmonic

Old Growth
I listened to clips and they sounds great but I don't think I've ever seen pups that expensive
I honestly didn't want to like them because of that. I bought a set and was fully prepared to flame them relentlessly for charging that kind of money.

About 10 minutes after install, I felt like I owed Throbak an apology. They're silly good.

The Manalishi's are also well regarded, and will get you there for less.

71strat

I had a LP type guitar made and used the Tom Holmes, and had Tom reverse the Neck Mag when he made them. I also used a .015 cap, NOS BBs, and 50s wiring.

While I don't know about getting rthe PG out of phase thing ect, as the Holmes are wound different than what Peter/Garys guitar have.

PGs pups had Alnico V magnets and 8.2k-8.6k respectively.

Holmes are Alnico II, and 7.6k- 8.3k. A huge difference.

I'm y guitar with both volume pots below 8, it sounds like a Tele on Steroids. Its very clean and clear, but you have to turn the amp up more to compensate for a bit less volume.

I can get come really nice Clavinet sounds. Really clean. Like Stevie Wonder. It can also have kind of a nasally/honk angry type of sound, if you dig in with the pick. Dynamics are really good. Also take into consideration I use mainly a Metro GMP45, and 2 x 1 x 12 Hemp Coned JBL E120s., or also combine that with 4 x 12 x 1972 Celestion G12Hs. Pulsonic cones.

Also from what I understand. Gary let a guy from Premier Guitar take the guitar apart in the 80s, and it was eventually found to have the Reverse Neck Mag... From the Factory. It was never from a repair ect.

The pickup I do believe, was accidently Reinstalled Backwards, but makes no difference.

Throbaks would be my #2 choice for pickups if I was buying.

Dexter.Sinister

Still breathing
I have had a set of Shed Supernaturals in my LPC for 7-8 years. They ain't going nowhere! Here is what I said in a previous thread about them:

I bought a set of Supernaturals from Spence a few years back for my LP custom. They are all over our first album with Ropeadope. Really nice PAF style buckers with a great OOP middle tone that I bring in and out by altering the relative volume of the neck and bridge pups. I love them and do not expect to swap them. Dealing with Spence was clean and clear andthe pups arrived on schedule from the UK in great shape.
Still feel the same! Spence did his homework and also had some help early on from a pickup sensei from the UK. They bring the PG tone. Dropped them in a 59 RI and they were amazing in that one, but I am a LPC guy, so that is where I use them. Worth a look and listen. Check out some of the other forums for Shed info and reviews.

taildragger

Silver Supporting Member
I've tried quite a few sets trying to find that Peter Green tone. For me, the Manalishi's are the ones. Larry knows his stuff.
I am another one who recommends the Manalishi pickups. I have only tried the Duncan Greenies which didn't do it for me.

duaneflowers

I've tried a silly number... honorable mentions go to the Deacci Pure Legend GreenFazes and the Sigil Black Magic Set for their attempts... I also have a set wound by Monty's for Phil Harris when he was in possession of Greenie (intending to create his own branded Greenie pickups). But the ones that really did it for me, that I still have installed in my CC#1 Greenie, is a set of Ox4 Hot Duanes that I flipped the neck magnet on. These just blow the other ones out of the water for me and really sound awesome. Pretty much any pickups will go out of phase when you flip the magnets, so you need to start with a set of pickups that closely resembles Greenie's when in phase... then they have to go out of phase powerfully enough to mimic that PG OOP tone. The Ox4s really do it for me. Mark was pretty surprised when I reported in on that... but I see no reason to mess with perfection.

Trending Topics