Peter Stroud's overdriven tone

Zillie

I love Peter's tone here:

There's Sheryl percussive Tele and then there's Peter's overdriven LP Jr. with a hint of fuzziness you can hear during leads. Do you think it's just a cranked amp? (btw it's from his pre-65Amps era) I'd like to get that tone- what would you guys use?

thanks

Pete's one of the best.

IIRC before the 65's he was used a fawn Marshall combo and a silverface Super Reverb together with attenuators and a baffle. For drives he's used about everything I think.

Without knowing his exact chain I think you can use any single coil guitar, a Fender-y amp, and a good low gain drive to get there be it a Morning Glory, Lightspeed, RC Booster, Timmy, Blues Driver, ODR-1, even a TS I think. Just keep the gain low and the volume up on the pedal and go for a crunchy but low gain tone.

Alternatively, you can probably tweet him on Twitter or send him a message on Facebook or Instagram. He's on all three.

Last edited:

teleking36

Silver Supporting Member
These days he's a big advocate of the Greer Lightspeed, which qualifies as a low gain drive.

Always loved Peter's playing and tone. Great stuff!

tinkercity

Silver Supporting Member
Sounds like a EL84 amp pushed with a boost with some grit. I know he likes the Greer Lightspeed these days.

Paleolith54

Just for kicks, I've always loved this version too. He seems to be playing the same lines, but somewhat different tones and the recording quality seems a bit better, so it's easier to hear what he's doing. I love the way he plays.

Trending Topics