Peters amp owners?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by gdomeier, Feb 25, 2006.

1. gdomeier

gdomeier Supporting Member

Just wondering if there are any other Peters amp owners here.

Is there anybody out there?

2. sparkman

sparkman Silver Supporting Member

Hello! I own two of James' amps: the 50 watt Wolverine, and the 50 watt Dual Channel with Clean and Modern High Gain preamps. I call these amps my weapons of mass destruction:dude --they're totally bulletproof, and sound absolutely fantastic. Also, James provides excellent customer service, and totally stands behind his creations. Steller amps--and even more stellar creator!!!!

In short, Peters Amps rock!

3. gdomeier

Awsome! I have a dual channel 20 watt (cod and mhg 2). Purchased from them emporium here. I agree abou the the sound and James' service.

Have you recorded any clips?

4. pm81

pm81 Member

3CP1 owner here. Great amp.

5. WinstonN

WinstonN Silver Supporting Member

I own a Dual50 (classic and lead OD preamps) and used to have a 3CP1, and I've had many conversations with James about his amps and design direction/philosophy.

Do you have a specific question about them?

They are truly great amps in every regard. I can't figure out why there's not more run-away enthusiasm out there for Peters amps, because they really deserve it. James is a real class act, to boot, and backs his stuff with a passion.

6. jeffh

jeffh Silver Supporting Member

I have a 10 watt Wolverine.

Great amps, great guy to deal with.

7. will132

will132 Member

I have a 10 watt 3CP1 sitting on top of a Bogner 2x12 cab loaded with Scumbacks H55/H75 and very happy.

Jim

8. gdomeier

No questions, just wanting to chat with others owners :) I'm waiting on a new soundcard so I can record some decent clips.

9. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

I have an early 3CP1.

10. stratofied

stratofied Member

10 Watt Wolverine here, very cool amp. James is a great guy to deal with.

11. JamesPeters

JamesPeters Member

Thanks guys! I'm blushing. :)

Excuse me for removing the apostrophe in "Peters" there. :D

Anyway I don't claim to have invented any new technology or anything, so I'm not sure what you're expecting, but I will say that the amps I make happen to sound very good (subjective of course depending on what you're after), they're built well, and the features are useful. You can look around my site if you want, or phone me (which might be better in this case), if you want to discuss something in particular.

12. 3Sides

3Sides Member

With the classic overdrive channel how clean can it get in the plexi mode, and as you switch through the three modes much headroom do you sacrifice?

13. JamesPeters

JamesPeters Member

In the "non boosted" setting, it gets very nice cleans. It gets less clean as you use the other boost settings, but all three settings of the boost switch clean up well from the gain control as well as the guitar's volume control. (Note: there is no "plexi mode" as such, although the amp can sound similar to a "plexi" in its own way.)

As for headroom, the amp itself still has lots of headroom and the preamp remains very dynamic with higher gain settings, but with more overdrive and saturation it's unavoidable that the preamp's headroom will become limited (as with any amp in higher gain/saturation settings).

14. stu42

stu42 Member

How clean do you need it? What attracts you to the COD preamp instead of the actual clean preamp?

The clean preamp can actually do beautiful low to medium-low bluesy overdrive as well as pure sparkley and/or warm cleans with fantastic touch sensitivity. The COD can do some nice cleans but it will transition to breakup fairly easily and can actually get reasonably high-gain (more so than, say, a JCM800 on the higher-gain end).

What other channel would you be pairing with the COD - if you were considering the COD - and why? Just wondering because, depending on what you're aiming for, what you get for the 2nd channel could influence the 1st channel decision because of the overlap in the designs - same goes if you have some nice pedals on hand to add into the mix.

15. Riscchip

Riscchip Member

I had a 3CP1 for a spell--great amp. I can't remember why I sold it (I see Aleclee is still enjoying that one ;) ), but it had some of the best low volume drive tones I've heard.