Peterson problem

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by hemlock, Oct 17, 2005.

1. hemlock

hemlock Guest

My new Peterson Strobostomp ahs crapped out. The screen will barely light up and it ahs no display. Anyone else experience this? Jusjhht wondering before I get another.

2. jeffhef

jeffhef Member

Two guys I play with have had similar problems plus a couple other issues. I'll stick with my trusty TU-2.

jeffhef

3. hemlock

hemlock Guest

Done did that. no luck

4. ABKB

ABKB Member

Ouch, I've been gassing for a Strobo and this is the first I have heard of this. Jeff, what kinda problems are the people you know seeing?

5. trucks

trucks Member

6. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

I've never heard of this happening, and I usually check in on StroboStomp threads on whichever forum I'm on at the time. Empirically, I know mine has been fine for a long time, and so is the one a friend of mine bought about 3-4 months ago.

-Ben

7. jeffhef

jeffhef Member

The same as described above. One of our guys had this happen and exchanged it. Then he had the display come loose from the casing. The other guy had the same thing happen with the display coming loose. They've both replaced their units and both now have problems again.

In fact...both have switched back to TU-2's. Everyone at our church is using the TU-2's and we haven't had a single one of them fail. EVER.

Is the TU-2 as accurate as a Strobo? Probably not. But they work. And I'm not setting the intonation on stage between songs.

I find the TU-2 display easier to see with my 45 year old eyes. Did have a little harder time seeing the LED display this Sunday during an outdoor service we had. Had to put my leg so it cast a shadow. I don't think I'm gonna be replacing it for that reason though.

The TU-2 is just a workhorse. I'd like to have a strobe tuner but I can't justify the cost. Not to mention...the Petersons just don't seem up to heavy usage.

But that's just my opinion...and the other guys I play with. I could be wrong. I've stomped all over my TU-2 though and it's never missed a beat.

jeffhef

8. ABKB

ABKB Member

Thanks Jeff. No doubt, hard to beat Boss in terms of reliability. It's too bad, as far as I know, Peterson has the only true bypass tuner out there. Anybody know any other TB tuners? Anybody else seeing these problems in the Peterson?

9. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Senior Member

Glad to know these things absent all the hype. It makes me a better, smarter buyer! Kuddos for honesty! :)

10. hemlock

hemlock Guest

I will say that the thing tunes like nobody's business. I was suprised at the difference.

11. jeffhef

jeffhef Member

np.

I run the TU-2 off either the 2nd output from my Valvulator or off the Tuner jack on my Volume pedal. So I guess TBS doesn't really matter to me since it's not in the chain.

I don't want to come off as slamming the tuner. This is just based on what I've seen.

jeffhef

12. dinrodef

dinrodef Guest

I've got the strobostomp and it hasn't stopped working.. but it definately doesn't feel solid like a TU-2

Too bad the tu-2 can't tune a guitar for Sh*t...

13. jeffhef

jeffhef Member

I don't agree.

jeffhef

14. Stephen Davis

Stephen Davis Supporting Member

I have had the same problem with my Strobo, TWICE. The input jack is circuit board mounted, and the board isn't that strong. I hit the input cable with the lid of my board and messed up the connection on the board. I had my amp tech resolder the connections the first time, and completely replace the in and out jacks the 2nd time. I have seen 2 different kinds of jacks on these pedals so far. But, if you have the plastic ones that have more of a cap kind of end and not the strong Switchcraft type, REPLACE IT NOW The "cap" style i/o's are really cheap.

Hope that helps.

Rabbit

15. Cybercat

Cybercat Member

[​IMG]

That's a pretty strong ribbed cast-aluminium case under the blue covering.

They also had a video on the Strobostomp forum before release showing Peterson employees playing BASEBALL with a Strobostomp, batting it way into the air & it crashing down on a concrete road with no damage. :eek:

Has anytone tried tuning with the TU-2 after it's been batted into the outfield a few times, & driven over by a 4x4? Hehe.

Had my Strobostomp almost 18 months now (got it May '04) and I gig several nights a week with it in some pretty rough places, no problems at all.

It's on a small board with a Pete Cornish G-2/SS-2 Duplex & a Klon Centaur, all powered by a Godlyke Power-All.

When I first got mine I had the dim screen issue mentioned in the first post, which turned out to be my fault - a run down battery, and then i tried to use it with a non-alkaline battery (which they clearly advise won't work). :rolleyes:

Since getting the one of the reccomended power supplies it's been plain sailing. :dude

Browsing through the Strobostomp forum it's very apparent they take customer satisfaction extremely seriously. I can't see even one user whose problems were not fixed (usually user's fault) or the unit replaced.

16. jeffhef

jeffhef Member

Pretty impressive. But...when we use batteries we use Procell's. One of our guys uses a Valvulator to power it which should be quite sufficient as well. Really there's not an issue with Strobo backing up their product. It's more to do with the reality of what we've seen to this point.

The experiences I've mentioned are true. No way around it.

Is the TU-2 a "better" tuner? No.

Have I run over it with a 4x4 or batted it into the outfield? No.

Does it work everytime without failure? Yes...for the past 5 years.

Does it do a better job overall than the Strobo? I'd have to say yes since it works everytime.

Would I reply on it to intonate? No. But I have. As I said...I don't usually do that on stage between songs.

Do I play in bars where beer's getting spilled on it between songs? No. I play in church and for church functions.

That being said...ever watched at church after the band plays? Ever see all those kids running around on the stage stomping every pedal on your board s hard as they can? Also, I played in an outdoor thing Tuesday evening of last week. We had so much rain I was afraid my whole board was gonna short out. Nope. Kept right on working.

So...I guess each person has a different experience which is why I say I don't want to come off as bashing Peterson. I'm sure they make a good product. But...

We've had 2 replaced for the faded display and 2 with the detached faceplate. My experience is that they haven't been very durable.

I guarantee you if I take one out and hit it with a baseball bat it may not get out of the infield but it won't work afterwards. And I'm betting Peterson won't honor the warranty after that either.

jeffhef

17. dinrodef

dinrodef Guest

maybe if peterson is having some quality issues they could raise the price and make something bulletproof

I don't think people buying strobostomps are price shopping... they're buying it because its the best

I'd pay more money for it... proper intonation and tuning should not be a compromise

18. MAZ

MAZ Member

The tuner doesn't tune the guitar, you do.... so what you're saying is too bad you can't........ um, nevermind. :D

I've gone back and forth on getting a strobo (I currently use a Tu-2 on stage and have a tu-12 as well. I recently used a strobo and while I'm sure I'd get used to it I found it a lot more time consuming to tune with. But I know that everyone here says that it's actually quicker eventually so I'm sure that would go away.

BUT, the TU-2 has worked for me for years as well and I've never felt like I needed a better STAGE tuner. So I'm going to stick with it.

Now if I could just learn that alternate sh*t tuning.

19. Franklin

Franklin Member

Sorry to hear of your issue hemlock! I have one, no issues. Also, we sell a lot of these where I work and we have not had any returns that I know of.

20. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

I too own a strobo. granted I've only had it since may '05, but it's served me way better than my tu-2 ever did in every way imagineable.

plus, if you look on harmony-central, apparently the display of the tu-2 isn't so invulnerable after all. When I used to have one, I babied it like crazy thanks to that.