Peterson Strobo Stomp 2 question

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Redhouse-Blues, Jan 27, 2008.

1. Redhouse-Blues

Redhouse-Blues Member

I just picked one up this weekend, does it ever stop rolling? When tuning, it will stop for a quick second and kinda roll back and forth really slow. I know the guitar is in tune and the best it seems the Peterson will read is just barely pausing after it slows down, is this normal? I think it's kinda hard to set intonenation like this with it not really stopping. I upgraded from a Korg GA-30 and the SS2 said the Korg was flat.

Also, to tune down a 1/2 step according to the instructions, I would just use the b1 setting?

Sorry if this has been discussed before, I looked through a few pages that came up in the search and didn't find the answer.

2. ModTourMan

ModTourMan Member

I have an older Peterson VS II. For electrics, use the neck pickup and roll back the treble on the guitar to almost zero (or even all the way to zero). This solved that problem for me immediately. I still struggle a bit with my acoustic, however. The room needs to be dead quiet and I need to dampen the other strings a bit. Don't give up on the Peterson tuner - once you get used to them you will never look back. Buying mine was one of the best investments I ever made. Playing in tune - I mean truly in tune- is a wonderful and inspiring experience!

3. omboy

omboy Member

What ModTourMan said.

Also, pluck the string with your fingertip rather than with a pick. That seems to be more important with s/c pickups than humbuckers, in my experience, but it helps with 'buckers as well.

4. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

the thing with real strobe tuners is that the display does exactly what the string does. the display won't stand still because the string doesn't stand still. once you understand that, you can get a feel for how the string behaves on the attack and on the decay, and tune or intonate accordingly. just look for the display to stop scrolling up or down, and you'll be well within the pitch tolerance of human hearing.

you should tune with the same attack that you use when playing, because that's what needs to be in tune! if you tune by gently brushing the string with your thumb and then play aggressively with a pick, all your notes will sound sharp.

5. Redhouse-Blues

Redhouse-Blues Member

Thanks, I'll try all of these today and see what happens. I will say I can hear the difference in tuning with the SS2. I compared it to the Korg and when the guitar was in tune with the Korg, the SS2 read it as being flat. When I tune it with the SS2, the Korg reads two dot's past the 440. I'm not sure how much that is, but I'd like to know.

6. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

What's so funny about the Peterson bashing threads is exactly this point. The strobe moves because the pitch is changing. Tune the guitar by getting the strobe as stable as possible. Pick a point after plucking the string to set the pitch to, you can either do it right away or wait for a little decay after the initial attack of the note.

One thing to try with any LED tuner is to tune any string until the correct pitch is located displayed. I'd bet $1000 you could slightly pull the string sharp (using the guitar tuning gear) and I know it will still read the same. I did this yesterday using my Korg GA-20, tuner said it was in tune but I was still able to pull the string sharp with the display still giving me the same reading.

7. walterw

exactly. you would still be within the "in-tune" window of the tuner, which is basically giving up and telling you "close enough, whatever".

now that i'm used to a strobe tuner, regular digital tuners just seem opaque and kinda dumb.

8. Redhouse-Blues

Redhouse-Blues Member

Well it worked, I rolled back the volume and tone knobs on the guitars and it helped the SS2 to come to a stop when tuned. It only stopped for a few seconds, but it's in tune. I'm not trying to start something, I'm just a new user who has no experience with a tuner like this and after spending the $200 on it, I find that it works good and takes some getting used to. It's not as easy to use as a tuner like the Korg and I'd perfer that it came to a stop and held at a stop when tuned, I think it would be easier to read that way.

But all in all, I think it's cool and it will work on stage for me.

9. PremiumPlus

PremiumPlus Member

My SS-1 is staying on my pedal board! They do take a little getting used to but they are so much more accurate that other tuners are redundant. I couldn't believe how much better my guitars sounded after I re-intonated them with the Peterson set to 'guitar temperament'. Sweet. And thanks for the tone roll down tip! I'll have to give it a try.

10. blackba

blackba Member

Sweet, glad you got it working. the rolling back of the volume knob when tuning was the key for me. I really like my SS2, but I find that for live use I like the Korg DT-10 better, I find I can use it a bit easier and faster, and the less accuracy has not bothered me live.

For my home studio, the SS2 is great....

11. soldano16

soldano16 Member

Another "trick" is to pick fairly frequently, keep refreshing the note.

12. walterw

that's just it. when your digital tuner "stops", it's no longer telling you anything! you're somewhere within the tuner's ballpark estimate of "in-tune", but that's it. regular tuners don't "lock on", they just "give up".

with your strobe, you can really tell what the string is doing, and can judge for yourself how close "close enough" is.

again, trying to make the display stand perfectly still is a waste of time. just get it to stop scrolling or turning in one direction or the other, and you'll be well inside the "in tune" window of a regular tuner.